Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 154

bigmac, white, Skateman, orgin, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

No charakter display in OWB (OS4 Classic)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi everbody!

I did not turn on my A4k for about 5 months or so and development of OWB went on at great speed, so I missed some versions.
In March I installed OWB 1.21. It started and did load amigans.net, but did not display any text at all. I did the install just as described in the ReadMe of OWB (installed the core fonts, copied some libs to SOBJS: an so on). I could not track down the problem so I gave up on OS4 and the Amiga stood there turned off for 5 months.
Just two days ago I turned it on again, did install some Updates and saw that there was OWB 2.8 out now (even 2.9 by now, but this version needs Cairo). OWB 2.8 claims that it would not any longer make use of the core fonts but uses the amigaOS'es internal font engine. But still the problem remains: OWB comes up, loads its default home page amigans.net, but it does not display any text at all.

What could that be?

My Setup: Amiga 4000D, CSPPC 604e/150MHz, CV3d, X-Surf, Highway USB, AmigaOS 4.0 Classic - nothing special.

Regards
Ruediger

Go to top
Re: No charakter display in OWB (OS4 Classic)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Granada

Quote:
Just two days ago I turned it on again, did install some Updates and saw that there was OWB 2.8 out now (even 2.9 by now, but this version needs Cairo). OWB 2.8 claims that it would not any longer make use of the core fonts but uses the amigaOS'es internal font engine.
That was the case with 1.21 as well, both use the core fonts if they are installed, but they are and always were optional, if they are not installed OWB uses the DejaVu fonts included in AmigaOS 4.x instead.

Quote:
But still the problem remains: OWB comes up, loads its default home page amigans.net, but it does not display any text at all.

What could that be?
Read 2.5 of http://www.amigans.net/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=24 and check if you installed everything correctly, especially not only the .font and .otag files from my corefonts.lha but the actual fonts (the .TTF files) as well.
If that wasn't the problem create a directory somewhere on your SYS: partition and move all .font and .otag files from FONTS: which weren't included in AmigaOS 4.0 there. OWB should work now and use the DejaVu fonts. If that's that case please move one font after each other, both the .font and .otag files, back to FONTS: and as soon as it stops working please send me the problematic .font and .otag files. Several users have problems with fonts working correctly in other applications but not in OWB, but without getting the .font and .otag files which don't work with OWB I can't check what the problem is and fix it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Thanks for the hint to remove alle non-OS4-fonts. To make things easier I just renamed Fonts: to something else and copied the whole Fonts-Dir from the OS4-CD back to SYS:. After rebooting the machine OWB now works.

But to keep things strange: I _did_ install OWB correctly right after the mentioned instructions. Everything was in place and correctly installed. But for now I will leave the corefonts away. I am happy that OWB finally works. Hopefully there will once be OS4.1 for Classic - it is inacceptable to have the CPU at 90% load while writing this post.

Regards
Ruediger

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Granada

Quote:
I am happy that OWB finally works. Hopefully there will once be OS4.1 for Classic - it is inacceptable to have the CPU at 90% load while writing this post.
Only a current Cairo port for OS 4.0 would be needed, but it wouldn't reduce the CPU load, even the FireFox on my AmigaOne I'm currently using for the reply has nearly as much CPU load. It's caused by the little "4.1"s at the top of amigans.net
On other pages, especially if they have no gif anims either, the CPU load should be very low even on a classic Amiga, but only after the page was loaded completely, and scrolling around is probably very slow on classic Amigas as well but there isn't much which can be done, a browser like OWB needs a lot of CPU time.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
even the FireFox on my AmigaOne I'm currently using for the reply

Oooohhhhkay ... so, you wanna tell us anything joerg?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Raziel

Linux

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Awwww, come on...

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top

Register To Post