Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: QEMU, e500 and Linux
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@noXLarQuote:
noXLar wrote:@All

I'm interested trying out emulating OS4 on my pc.. i use a fast pc but, i'm wondering what OS version to use, i have my 460ex and the Boot Cd/ISO for OS4..
and i also have OS4 Classic for PPC boards. i don't have Pegasys OS4, is it needed?
also i read much of the information guides for made by balaton, assuming it his work.
And seems i can use what i have to make it work, but is it the best?

My pc is Win11 AMD CPU 7900X + 7900 XTX GPU.. what is the best way to get OS4 emulated on this system?

nox

The Sam460 emulation is currently the most up-to-date of the 3 machines, but unfortunately also the worst. You cannot use SmartFileSystem and AmigaOs4.1 Update 2 will make the machine unusable. Even simple SDL2 games like BreakHack cannot be used, the machine is simply too slow for that. As already mentioned, the Sam460 is easy to install because you don't need any extra files and Qemu with U-Boot Bios provides everything. For simple tests the machine is sufficient, if you want to use AmigaOs4.1 in emulation for a longer time I cannot recommend this machine at the moment.

If instead you want to see what the current maximum speed is with which we can use AmigaOs4.1 under Qemu, I can only recommend the AmigaOneXe/Pegasos2 machine .... advantages:

SmartFileSystem can be used, AmigaOs4.1 with all updates 1/2 works very well. Enhancer software can be used to the full extent apart from the drivers. SDL1/2 games/programs/tools BreakHack/MPlayer/DvPlayer everything runs very fast. Of course limited without 3d acceleration.

For the Pegasos2 or AmigaOneXe you also need the corresponding license of AmigaOs4.1 which is still available in the Amiga Shop. You can get an overview on my YouTube channel where I show both machines Pegasos2/AmigaOneXe.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUTJOGYJxS1Ggx4foQTklXw

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg
Quote:
Depends on the software you want to use, and how good the AltiVec emulation of QEmu is.
On a real AmigaOne/Pegasos2 with G4 CPU AltiVec optimized software can be much faster than a non-AltiVec version.

I meant the general case as most AmigaOS software probably don't support AltiVec and for those there's probably not much difference with QEMU 9.0. With older QEMU versions sam460ex was slower but this should be improved with 9.0. Of course 460EX does not have AltiVec so if you want to use that you need a machine with G4 and corresponding AmigaOS version but it would need to be tested if that helps on QEMU or not. I think the limited FPU performance also holds back most AltiVec code so maybe it's not that much faster on QEMU at the moment but did not do profiling to find that out.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
The Sam460 emulation is currently the most up-to-date of the 3 machines, but unfortunately also the worst. You cannot use SmartFileSystem

OK I forgot about that. This affects only the SFS version on the install CD but we still don't know why is that if it works on real machine. But an easy workaround is to replace it with another version that works, either from Enhancer Software or OS4Depot should work.

Quote:
and AmigaOs4.1 Update 2 will make the machine unusable. Even simple SDL2 games like BreakHack cannot be used, the machine is simply too slow for that.

You've surely told me about this before but I've forgotten. What's the issue with Update 2? If Update 1 still works then maybe stay at that version for now on sam460ex until it's debugged.

Quote:
As already mentioned, the Sam460 is easy to install because you don't need any extra files and Qemu with U-Boot Bios provides everything. For simple tests the machine is sufficient,

Since @nox already has a real sam460ex with the corresponding version and experience installing it it's probably simplest to try that first and see how well it works emulated. An amigaone/pegasos2 version would not be that much faster, maybe just a little bit so I don't think it's worth the investment to get another version just to try it. If you start without any versiono then it's better to go with the amigaone or pegasos2 but if somebody already has sam460ex version that's also supposed to work so I'd say try that first and get other versions later when using the emulation more.

Quote:
if you want to use AmigaOs4.1 in emulation for a longer time I cannot recommend this machine at the moment.

I guess you've said the same just less detailed.

Quote:
SDL1/2 games/programs/tools BreakHack/MPlayer/DvPlayer everything runs very fast. Of course limited without 3d acceleration.

What's the issue with SDL1/2 on sam460ex?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balaton

Quote:

OK I forgot about that. This affects only the SFS version on the install CD but we still don't know why is that if it works on real machine. But an easy workaround is to replace it with another version that works, either from Enhancer Software or OS4Depot should work.

No, it currently affects all versions of SFS CD/Os4Depot/Enhancer Software. The only version that works is the 68k version of Aminet.

Quote:

You've surely told me about this before but I've forgotten. What's the issue with Update 2? If Update 1 still works then maybe stay at that version for now on sam460ex until it's debugged.

With the Update 2 kernel, the windows and mouse input stutter.

Quote:

Since @nox already has a real sam460ex with the corresponding version and experience installing it it's probably simplest to try that first and see how well it works emulated. An amigaone/pegasos2 version would not be that much faster, maybe just a little bit so I don't think it's worth the investment to get another version just to try it. If you start without any versiono then it's better to go with the amigaone or pegasos2 but if somebody already has sam460ex version that's also supposed to work so I'd say try that first and get other versions later when using the emulation more.

Believe me, fully configured, the AmigaOneXe/Pegasos2 machine is currently faster in all respects.

Quote:

I guess you've said the same just less detailed.

That doesn't matter I'll add something else....USB support is currently not working and as soon as the latest elf.library is installed as an update it causes the whole machine to stop booting. I just wanted to point this out.

Quote:

All programs/tools/games/ take much longer to load and are much slower to run. I'm not saying it's unusable, but compared to the Pegasos2/AmigaOnXe machine there are big differences. But I agree with you, overall the Sam460 is much faster than it was a year ago.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
With the Update 2 kernel, the windows and mouse input stutter.

OK so easy workaround: don't update beyond Update 1 for now when using sam460ex.

Quote:
Believe me, fully configured, the AmigaOneXe/Pegasos2 machine is currently faster in all respects.

That sounds like most of this is coming from using SFS on amigaone/pegasos2 and comparing that to sam460ex without SFS.

Quote:
Quote:

All programs/tools/games/ take much longer to load and are much slower to run. I'm not saying it's unusable, but compared to the Pegasos2/AmigaOnXe machine there are big differences. But I agree with you, overall the Sam460 is much faster than it was a year ago.

I think you also had the same problem before on pegasos2 with disk cache disabled. So the fix could be either enabling cache for FFS (@joerg mentioned something about that on the other forum) or trying to use the 68k version of SFS that works and then compare that to pegasos2. You're still using disk partition instead of image file for pegasos2 so it could still be a bit faster because of that but I think most of the problems you mentioned could be avoided with using Update 1 and the 68k SFS on sam460ex and get a system that works as good as pegasos2. In case somebody is interested to try that and find out I'd like to hear about the results. At least CPU benchmarks don't show a big difference now in QEMU 9.0 so if it's still slower then that's because of something else. I'd like to find out and make sam460ex work well too because those who have that version should also be able to use it. Considering that the files on the CD of these AmigaOS versions are mostly the same apart from the kernel and modules it does not make much sense to get more of them when you already have one. Unless maybe if you're using it a lot or need different versions for testing but for normal usage any of amigaone/pegasos2 or sam460ex should be sufficient. But looks like for sam460ex there are still some more bugs to fix.

Quote:
That doesn't matter I'll add something else....USB support is currently not working and as soon as the latest elf.library is installed as an update it causes the whole machine to stop booting. I just wanted to point this out.

I don't remember this USB issue either. I should look at that but considering that sam460ex uses usb keyboard and mouse by default I think USB should work. What's the issue you're referring to? Maybe it's just that there aren't enough ports emulated so you'd also need to add another USB card to add more devices. The real machine has an on-board hub but that's not emulated because the hub in QEMU did not support the needed USB version if I remember correctly.

I hoped sam640ex will really be much more usable with QEMU 9.0 so I'd like to find a way to make it work instead of just telling people not to use it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balaton

Quote:

I think you also had the same problem before on pegasos2 with disk cache disabled. So the fix could be either enabling cache for FFS (@joerg mentioned something about that on the other forum) or trying to use the 68k version of SFS that works and then compare that to pegasos2. You're still using disk partition instead of image file for pegasos2 so it could still be a bit faster because of that but I think most of the problems you mentioned could be avoided with using Update 1 and the 68k SFS on sam460ex and get a system that works as good as pegasos2. In case somebody is interested to try that and find out I'd like to hear about the results. At least CPU benchmarks don't show a big difference now in QEMU 9.0 so if it's still slower then that's because of something else. I'd like to find out and make sam460ex work well too because those who have that version should also be able to use it. Considering that the files on the CD of these AmigaOS versions are mostly the same apart from the kernel and modules it does not make much sense to get more of them when you already have one. Unless maybe if you're using it a lot or need different versions for testing but for normal usage any of amigaone/pegasos2 or sam460ex should be sufficient. But looks like for sam460ex there are still some more bugs to fix.

Of course, the Sam460 machine is best suited for Qemu because we have everything we need for it and don't have to fiddle around much to use it. However, as I have already explained, there are still some problems to solve that I have already mentioned.

Here you can see the result with Quake Timedemo on both machines Pegasos2/Sam460. The machine Sam460 is on Update 1 and SFS (68k)

Sam460:

Resized Image

Pegasos2:

Resized Image

I carried out both measurements with the fastest session under Qemu. The Pegasos2 machine is currently still almost twice as fast as the Sam460 machine. I used Qemu 9 RC1 for this.

Quote:

I don't remember this USB issue either. I should look at that but considering that sam460ex uses usb keyboard and mouse by default I think USB should work. What's the issue you're referring to? Maybe it's just that there aren't enough ports emulated so you'd also need to add another USB card to add more devices. The real machine has an on-board hub but that's not emulated because the hub in QEMU did not support the needed USB version if I remember correctly.

Usb-Storage "-device usb-storage,drive=ufat" cannot be used at the moment and leads to the machine not booting and a few errors being displayed via the firmware. I am not sure if this is a problem with the U-Boot firmware or if this support is simply missing.

Resized Image

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
I carried out both measurements with the fastest session under Qemu. The Pegasos2 machine is currently still almost twice as fast as the Sam460 machine. I used Qemu 9 RC1 for this.

I wonder if that's because of AltiVec. Maybe you could also try pegasos2 with -cpu g3 (or one of the suitable 750 variants that SFS or whatever else likes, the difference between them I think is not emulated nor relevant so it just changes the PVR value) for comparison to confirm it's because of missing AltiVec or BookE CPU on sam460ex. In case it's AltiVec, these measurements may be different on x86_64.

Quote:
Usb-Storage "-device usb-storage,drive=ufat" cannot be used at the moment and leads to the machine not booting and a few errors being displayed via the firmware. I am not sure if this is a problem with the U-Boot firmware or if this support is simply missing.

That's a U-Boot issue, even on real machine but the updated U-Boot that fixes it is not available for download any more from aCube and the version that was used for QEMU is too old to fix this. You could avoid this by only adding the -drive if=none,id=ufat,... part to QEMU command line but not the -device usb-storage,drive=ufat and instead enter 'device_add usb-storage,drive=ufat' in QEMU monitor after boot to hot-plug the USB device so U-Boot does not see it. (I've tested this works while trying to debug SFS.) It's less convenient so maybe just use network share instead.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3)