Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

New owner of an X5040, who needs help
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi all,

I would like to know if it is possible to change the resolution of the "AmigaOS 4.1 Edition Final" image or the screen, at startup?
I have a resolution of 640x480 for the Boing Ball then should I have a resolution of 640x480 or 1024x768? If I compare to my system on my 1200 PPC the image is sharper and the resolution is 1280x1024.

Candi, is it possible to create your own live wallpapers?

I have tried to register on the Hyperion forum several times but no validation of my account created more than a month ago!

I'm desperately trying to get MakeCD or FryingPan or CDRW Format to work, knowing that my devices are no longer in SCSI, but either vsata.device or p50x0sata.device I'm a little lost here!

Indeed on the 2 devices I can see my CD/DVD player so which one should I choose?
MakeCD sees my CDRW clearly but cannot write or erase the disk.

Thank you for your help.

Go to top
Re: New owner of an X5040, who needs help
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@skynet

I don't believe its possible to change the resolution of the splash screen - I think its part of the kernel not the OS.

I'm fairly sure that the on board sata won't write CDs or DVDs - I've never been able to. We might get a fix from Hyperion one day. It might be possible to connect a drive to a Sata card, like the 3112, but you'll lose the ability to boot from it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@skynet

CANDI was a third-party commissioned app that is discontinued (for now?).

there never was an editor, you have to live with whats there

all of the/my bug reports written for it were never picked up, so im pretty sure further development wont be happening either

there was talks about a successor based on shaders waaaaaay back...but nothing more than that

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi guys,

Thank you for your answers!

So much for the CD/DVD burner, maybe one day this will be possible?

I hope that the development of AmigaOS 4.1 will continue because the A1222 has just been released and almost all sold already, as well as the X5040, there I know that 1 was sold for me.

It would be very sad if there was no more development for this fabulous machine!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@skynet

Commercial software has advantages and disadvantages, even if was open source, it does not guarantee continued development. Development will continue for sure, but some part of it is already frozen in time. Due to the types of contracts and agreements, some developers did not sell their time under a normal work contract instead they licensed out their software to be bundled. Software can be replaced. But it takes a lot of time and will of course misdirect develop resources that we do not have a lot of.
Several times there has been bounties, collect money to buy the source to open source it, and sometimes source code is acquired by Amiga KIT or Hyperion, but it can be many years too late. Sometimes developers come back, after many years of absence.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@skynet

There is AmiDVD in the Amiga Store, you can buy.

MakeCD should work, maybe your CD/R drive is not supported.

wow they are giving away sil3112 this days..
do you have old school PCI slots.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005002598521420.html

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt
Hi,

Yes I have 2 old fashioned PCI ports

I already have the latest version of AmiDVD and I have a window that appears with "SCSI command 5a 00" and I cannot see where to change the device.

I am in sata with vsata and not in pata IDE.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Ah! if I insert a CD it sees my player.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

You wrote "Wow, they're giving away sil3112 these days."
What would this allow me to do?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@skynet

What would this allow me to do?

use a different driver, get around the problem

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@skynet

It's common for AmiDVD to give those SCSI errors in sloppy windows. It used to happen for me when I had a damaged disc. I suspect it sends SCSI commands to the driver which then converts internally to ATA. Or some kind of SCSI command encapsulated in an ATA command. Since I recall some standard where SCSI wass encapsulated in ATA.

As to the device it will examine CD0: and extract the device and unit so you shouldn't need to configure it. IIRC it can be set in tooltypes. But if you have one drive it should pick it up.

I liked FryingPan, but on OS4 I found it can be faulty, and it was never finished to be fully stable AFAIK. What driver are you using for MakeCD? The SCSI3_ATAPI driver should work or it used to for IDE on my A1/XE. Also are you running the latest patched version? Here is 3.2d if you don't have it.

http://aminet.net/package/disk/cdrom/MakeCD_3.2d

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hypex

Hi Hypex,

Thank you for your message.

On the AmiDVD side it's ok as well as MakeCD, I managed to burn on a CDRW.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hypex
Quote:
Or some kind of SCSI command encapsulated in an ATA command. Since I recall some standard where SCSI wass encapsulated in ATA.
Yes, it's the ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI).
ATA is a very limited command set only usable for simple things like hard disks, anything more complex like CD/DVD has to use SCSI commands like the MMC ones with ATAPI.

Additionally AmigaOS still doesn't have something like a HD_ATACMD and it's not possible to send ATA commands to ATA(PI) drives on AmigaOS.
You either have to use the trackdisk commands (TD_#? and NSCMD_TD_#?) or SCSI commands with HD_SCSICMD the ATA drivers have to convert internally to ATA commands (ATA drives like HDs) or pass through nearly unchanged to the drive (ATAPI drives like CD/DVD).

Edited by joerg on 2024/3/13 19:02:27
Edited by joerg on 2024/3/13 19:04:18
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@skynet

Welcome and have fun with your new X5000/40.

I myself have a X5000/20, dont worry there is a new update coming,
when I dont know, but it's coming be sure to that!

1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@khayoz

Hi Khayoz,

Thank you very much, I love this machine, it is truly extraordinary!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@skynet

Congratulations on the purchase of the new machine, it is really extraordinary machine.

I have an X5000/20 with 8Gb ram + Sapphire Radeon RX580 8Gb

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Firetail

Thank you very much indeed it is an extraordinary machine compared to the V4SA which I also have.

I prefer my X5040 more than my V4.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@skynet

I have also V4SA, A500, A1200, CD32, they all have great machines :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Firetail

Me too, 2 CD32s including one with an SX1, two 500s including a Chicken lips, a 600, two V4SAs including one with the micro SD card no longer working.

An Amiga 4000 desktop, 3 Amiga 1200s including an Escom the other version 2B, and the third in an E/Box 1200 tower with Meditor 1200 hack 3.3 volts, Radeon 9250 graphics cards, Sound Blaster 128 sound card, Blizzard 1240 PPC .

Go to top

Register To Post