Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 123

sailor, K-L, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

QEMU Pegasos 2 AmigaOs4.1 SoftReset via Keyboard
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Balaton

Is there a possibility that we can add soft reset to the Pegasos 2 emulation as known from real AmigaNG?

If I want to do a soft reset under AmigaOs4.1 via Ctrl/Alt Alt Gr it does not lead to a reboot, but Qemu or AmigaOs4.1 freezes.

The internal reboot options of AmigaOs4.1 via the menu work very well. It would be great to be able to reboot via keyboard as well.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Re: QEMU Pegasos 2 AmigaOs4.1 SoftReset via Keyboard
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro

you have two soft reboot's.

cold reboot is CTRL+LALT+RALT.
warm reboot is CTRL+LWIN+RWIN (reboot faster, skips firmware)

Newest RX/HX drivers do not support warm reboot, why I'm using a older driver, 99% of the time.

I expect BIOS code need to be executed to reinitialize the GPU, but that does not happen in Warm Reboot.

you can also reboot from command line.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2023/8/23 19:53:18
Edited by LiveForIt on 2023/8/23 19:54:07
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro
I don't know what's needed for that but I'd expect problems with reboot when using VOF/BBoot so this may only work with pegasos2.rom. VOF is linked to load at address 0 not at the ROM address so after the machine is booted the "ROM" is gone and you can't reset without shutting dewn and restarting the machine. Just restarting AmigaOS starting at exec without going back to ROM should be possible but I don't know how the reboot options work on AmgiaOS so don't know what to fix and not interested enough to try to debug it. So if somebody can find out why it does not work I can look at trying to fix it but I don't consider this serious enough to try to debug it myself.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balatonQuote:
balaton wrote:@Maijestro
I don't know what's needed for that but I'd expect problems with reboot when using VOF/BBoot so this may only work with pegasos2.rom. VOF is linked to load at address 0 not at the ROM address so after the machine is booted the "ROM" is gone and you can't reset without shutting dewn and restarting the machine. Just restarting AmigaOS starting at exec without going back to ROM should be possible but I don't know how the reboot options work on AmgiaOS so don't know what to fix and not interested enough to try to debug it. So if somebody can find out why it does not work I can look at trying to fix it but I don't consider this serious enough to try to debug it myself.

Since restarting and also shutting down via the menu of AmigaOs4.1 works fine it is not that important, it would have been just an additional gimmick.

It's just that I test many things and from time to time it happens that AmigaOs4.1 freezes when a software goes crazy or is incompatible to AmigaOs4.1 and then I have no way to restart AmigaOs4.1, but the command to restart from the keyboard could still be instructed.

Mainly I use BBoot because the boot command is omitted and Qemu /AmigaOs4.1 starts very fast.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro
Unlike on real classic Amiga where the three finger reset was handled by the keyboard controller and could reset the machine when it was frozen I'm not sure that works with NG Amigas where the OS should detect and handle the key presses so if it's frozen it might not be reset by keyboard either. So this may not help in the cases you think it might be useful.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@balaton
The keyboard of the original Amiga (A1000), and at least the big-box Amigas (A2000/A3000[T]/A4000[T]), has a 6500 CPU with RAM and ROM and additionally to the data lines the keyboard cable has a motherboard reset line.
If you press <ctrl><amiga><amiga> they keyboard starts a 5 second timer and AmigaOS has to acknowledge receiving it and do a fast reboot. If the keyboard doesn't receive the ack, because AmigaOS or the hardware is frozen, it causes a hardware reset.
If you press and hold <ctrl><amiga><amiga>, IIRC for at least 3 seconds, the keyboard does a hardware reset as well.

Since PS/2 and USB keyboards don't have something like that it can't work the same way on NG Amigas, but they usually have a reset button in the case (or pressing the power button for a short time) to do a hardware reset.

Go to top

Register To Post