Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 131

BCP, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »
Re: qemu emualtion of AmigaONE XE
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

Ok I found a way to boot my AmigaOs4.1 AmigaOneXe installation from the HD.

First short tests are much faster than on Pegasos 2 emulation. Sound ac97 unfortunately does not work, internet works but is unstable "rtl8039".

Tomorrow I'll set up a decent system with all updates and then compare AmigaOne emulation vs. Pegasos 2 emulation.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Maijestro

Quote:
"Couldn't find file System/Kickstart/loader".

That's the location of the Kickstart on CD. It looks like it's installed a Kicklayout for a CD boot. And not HD boot for some reason. Any comments in the Kickstart/Kicklayout file?

Quote:
I also don't understand much about NVRAM only that it stores things in the firmware, could really be the problem....I have no idea.

It contains settings for IDE and booting. So without it, UBoot is in a default state. It doesn't know what drives you have, what controller nor how to boot. So scans and looks for what it can find.

Quote:
First short tests are much faster than on Pegasos 2 emulation. Sound ac97 unfortunately does not work, internet works but is unstable "rtl8039".

AC97 sound was broken on a lot of real machines as well with a missing sound chip.

You might as well specify SounndBlaster or other supported card if you can on PCI devices as common PCI sound cards are supported by QEMU.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
First problem after the AmigaOs4.1 installation and when asked to remove the install CD and restart Qemu crashes, I can clearly see that there were still write accesses on the workbench.

After installing AmigaOs4.1 and booting from ide0 HD I always get an error:

"Couldn't find file System/Kickstart/loader".

I solved the problem by copying the whole Kickstart folder from Sys:Kickstart to Sys:System/ then the HD installation boots.

Internet works with the rtl8139 version 53.4. SDL software which causes problems under Qemu Pegasos 2 runs better under the AmigaOne emulation.....seltsam. The speed of both emulations Pegaso2/AmigaOne is about the same.

The system cannot be shut down via the workbench, only AmigaOs4.1 restart and computer restart are offered. Currently no sound output over ac97 and es1370.

In conclusion, the emulation works, but there are still many problems and you don't get a stable system like under the Pegasos2 emulation.NVRAM support would be desirable for AmigaOne emulation.

Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/5 10:47:53
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/5 10:53:07
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@HypexQuote:
Hypex wrote:@Maijestro

That's the location of the Kickstart on CD. It looks like it's installed a Kicklayout for a CD boot. And not HD boot for some reason. Any comments in the Kickstart/Kicklayout file?

You are right, a kicklayout was created from the install CD and copied to SYS:Kickstart/ , because Qemu crashes after the AmigaOs4.1 installation when closing the installer, I suspect that the changes were not written to the installation HD as it should be.

Edit:Kicklayout adjusted and rewritten from System/Kickstart to Kickstart. Works well.

Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/5 10:54:49
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro
Any info on that crash such as logs or more info on what crashes and how?

Does AmigaOne support shutdown from software on real hardware? I think even for pegasos2 this was only added in 4.1FE Update 2.

Do the sound cards show up in Ranger or showconfig or whatever PCI listing tools are there and are those set up? Maybe check debug logs from kernel when loading sound driver.

As for the NVRAM this could be emulated but would need an additional file specified on the command line which is already too complex for most people and what would it bring? Aren't the default settings enough to boot?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@balaton
Quote:
As for the NVRAM this could be emulated but would need an additional file specified on the command line which is already too complex for most people
It's no problem if you use a default file name like nvram.config for it.

Quote:
and what would it bring? Aren't the default settings enough to boot?
Yes, but slow, and several AmigaOS parts, not only the ATA drivers, use NVRAM variables for config. Linux may need it as well.
Just like peg2ide.device a1ide.device only uses PIO if the is no "a1ide_xfer FFFF" in NVRAM enabling DMA, using "a1ide_verbose 1" would have helped to find out why it stopped, etc.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg
For peg2ide these are read from a config txt not nvram. From the logs above even a1ide.device seemed to detect DMA BAR although I don't know if it then used it, haven't seen a full log when it boots only the one when it stopped. I also don't know if there's a difference in speed for PIO vs DMA under emulation, these weren't tested yet I think.

Using a default filename won't work becuase it will then just give an error on start that that file is missing because the initial contents of nvram has to be read so user will have to create this file the same way as creating disk images so it's just another step to make it more confusing then if they forget to specify the same file they will get unexpected results so I think as long as there's no need to have an nvram it would be more hassle than it's worth.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@balaton
Quote:
For peg2ide these are read from a config txt not nvram.
Only the nonvolatile.library.kmod version used on systems without NVRAM, for example classic Amigas, supports using Kickstart/nvram.config instead.
Apparently the Pegasos2 version of AmigaOS 4.x is using this version instead of one using NVRAM, like all other systems do, as well, but I don't know why.
Maybe the OS4 developers didn't have documentation on how to access the NVRAM on the Pegasos2, or no time to implement support for it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balatonQuote:
balaton wrote:@Maijestro
Any info on that crash such as logs or more info on what crashes and how?

It always happens when AmigaOs4.1 wants to reboot the system automatically. I don't know yet how to debug this.

Quote:
Does AmigaOne support shutdown from software on real hardware? I think even for pegasos2 this was only added in 4.1FE Update 2.

Also for the AmigaOne version of AmigasOs4.1 FE update 1 and 2 is available which I have already installed. It shows me the same as under the Pegasos2 emulation only the shutdown is not shown in this menu, which it should.

Quote:
Do the sound cards show up in Ranger or showconfig or whatever PCI listing tools are there and are those set up? Maybe check debug logs from kernel when loading sound driver.

This is what the Kernel.debug shows me:

No CMI8738 found!
CS4281 DRIVERINIT
No card present.
[VIA-AC97] Error: soft resume timed out!
No SOLO_ONE found!
SB128 found!
SB128: Device = 5000, Manufacturer = 1274, Revision = 0
SB128: Has RATE init executed
SB128: Has VOLUME init executed
No FM801 found!
No Envy24 found!

Ranger shows me 2 audio devices:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Quote:
As for the NVRAM this could be emulated but would need an additional file specified on the command line which is already too complex for most people and what would it bring? Aren't the default settings enough to boot?

As already said AmigaOs4.1 is strongly dependent on the firmware settings. Ex. under the AmigaOne AmigaOs4.1 there is a Prefs file which is called U-Boot there you can set and save many settings, because saving is not possible this Prefs is useless. Another example...the U-boot firmware starts under Qemu always at the same place, so I have to make the settings every time again and then boot. This is a bit cumbersome and not user friendly.

I know they only work on what they enjoy. The nvram support could bring this emulation a little closer to the real hardware, because many things you take 1 to 1 as it is also used on real hardware (firmware variables etc.) What they finally provide for Qemu is of course up to them.

Here is a short video of how the whole thing is currently running:

I don't know why, but some tools/apps and the whole SDL stuff runs better under the AmigaOneXe AmigaOs4.1 than under the Qemu Pegasos 2 emulation. I need to test more...but for that I also need sound output.

Edit:Since the AmigaOne SE/XE was the first NG Amiga with AmigaOs4.1, the SDL1 apps/games were probably just better tested under this hardware with AmigaOs4.1.

Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/5 19:26:27
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/5 19:36:17
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
It always happens when AmigaOs4.1 wants to reboot the system automatically. I don't know yet how to debug this.
It it's really QEmu crashing, and not AmigaOS inside QEmu, use
gdb qemu-system-ppc ...
(
gdbrun
to start QEmu, and after it crashed use "bt" in gdb.
To get usable results it's required that you have build QEmu with -g in the CFLAGS.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg
That would be
gdb --args qemu-system-ppc ...rest of command line
or
gdb qemu-system-ppc
(gdbset args rest of command line
(gdbrun

but I did not suggest that until we get an answer on what does it exacltly mean it crashes.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balatonQuote:
balaton wrote:@joerg
That would be
gdb --args qemu-system-ppc ...rest of command line
or
gdb qemu-system-ppc
(gdbset args rest of command line
(gdbrun

but I did not suggest that until we get an answer on what does it exacltly mean it crashes.

@joerg @Balaton

The function "Restart AmigaOs" via the AmigaOs4.1 menu works, but when the software does it the system freezes without restarting. I don't think Qemu crashes directly but rather AmigaOs4.1. Or Qemu can't handle this restart function. Sorry, maybe I expressed myself wrong.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro
Does the shutdown option show on real AmigaOne (somebody with a real machine please confirm). Maybe it just did not support shutdown on real hardware if the hardware has no support for that. If it has support I don't know what should be emulated for that so more info would be needed how that supposed to work on AmigaOne. (On pegasos2 it uses the ACPI/power management part of VT8231 and that part is common with VT82c686B so it should work but maybe AmigaOne used something else if it does support shutdown from software at all.

The soft resume timed out error for via-ac97 is normal and also happens on pegasos2, we just don't emulate that function so it gives the error but should go further nevertheless. The AHI prefs did not show any of the sound cards used so before trying to play sound try selecting one of them and accept with Save or Use then try if it works. I don't know what device.audio means but it should use either via-ac97 or sb128 instead I think. The emulated hardware is the same so either it could be interrupt problem (but network works so maybe not) or is there a difference in AHI driver versions between AmigaOne and Pegasos2 AmigaOS versions?

It should work the same as pegasos2 because everyting is the same apart from some small differences but that would not explain why SDL works better. More likely it's the updated sm502 driver in case you're using that on amigaone while still using the old one (or comparing to that) on pegasos2.

I can eventually look at emulating nvram but it's low priority for me at the moment. The default in u-boot is to boot from HD so once you've installed just escape and use the settings should work for now. It's less work than typing the command in pegasos2 that was needed before.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:

The function "Restart AmigaOs" via the AmigaOs4.1 menu works, but when the software does it the system freezes without restarting. I don't think Qemu crashes directly but rather AmigaOs4.1. Or Qemu can't handle this restart function. Sorry, maybe I expressed myself wrong.

OK in that case gdb won't help. When running with -d unimp,guest_errors are there any logs printed when you do the restart? When it hangs what does info registers show in QEMU monitor?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@balaton
Quote:
I don't know what device.audio means
AHI has two APIs, a low-level one with which an application has exclusive access to the audio hardware, and a high-level one which allows multiple applications accessing the audio hardware in shared mode.
Using the device.audio driver, instead of directly using the AHI hardware driver, makes it possible to use multiple applications built using the exclusive, low-level API to work at the same time in shared mode.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balatonQuote:

The soft resume timed out error for via-ac97 is normal and also happens on pegasos2, we just don't emulate that function so it gives the error but should go further nevertheless. The AHI prefs did not show any of the sound cards used so before trying to play sound try selecting one of them and accept with Save or Use then try if it works. I don't know what device.audio means but it should use either via-ac97 or sb128 instead I think. The emulated hardware is the same so either it could be interrupt problem (but network works so maybe not) or is there a difference in AHI driver versions between AmigaOne and Pegasos2 AmigaOS versions?

I do not do anything different as under the Pegasos2 emulation and AHI. If you take a closer look at the video you will see that I select the recognized sound cards and perform the sound test but there is no sound.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balatonQuote:

It should work the same as pegasos2 because everyting is the same apart from some small differences but that would not explain why SDL works better. More likely it's the updated sm502 driver in case you're using that on amigaone while still using the old one (or comparing to that) on pegasos2.

Both systems Pegasos2/AmigaOne are on the same status FE Update 2 and SM502 in the current version.

For comparison Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 SDL Mega Mario:

Resized Image

AmigaOne AmigaOs4.1 SDL Mega Mario:

Resized Image

However, the system freezes when exiting the game which does not happen under the Pegasos 2 emulation.

Edit:After adding a working sound card to AHI, Mega Mario no longer crashes or freezes. On the AmigaOne Qemu emulation.

Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/5 21:37:47
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro
Before trying to play any sound, no matter if with "Sound Prefs" or anything else, use AHI prefs, select the SB128 and use "Save".
The default might be the onboard VIA-AC97, which isn't supported and may cause AHI to hang accessing it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balatonQuote:
[quote]

Quote:
OK in that case gdb won't help. When running with -d unimp,guest_errors are there any logs printed when you do the restart? When it hangs what does info registers show in QEMU monitor?

I need a software that forces the reboot like the AmigaOs4.1 installer does. Maybe it helps to post logs about AmigaOs4.1 menu "Restart computer" with this function the AmigaOs4.1 system also freezes. Otherwise I don't know how to reproduce it. It happens with the new installation of AmigaOs4.1 when the installation is completed. I'll try to log it again tomorrow by running the AmigaOs4.1 installation again.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
I need a software that forces the reboot like the AmigaOs4.1 installer does.
In a shell enter
Reboot FAST
(same as "AmigaOS neu starten" in the Workbench "Herunterfahren..." menu) or
Reboot
("Computer neu starten").

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »