Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

rwo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Qemu and Right Amiga key
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
I like to use the Right Amiga shortcuts a lot. They help me do a lot of the actions fast. On my Linux machine when I use the latest qemu 8.0.0 to run AmigaOS 4 that doesn't work at all, no matter what I do.

On my Macbook Pro though the right Amiga button works fine with the Right Command key.

What I would like to do is to have it working on my Linux system using the Right Alt button. Does anyone manage to do something like that?

To use the alt keys I have the selection at the Input prefs to switch the Amiga keys with the Alt keys enabled, but doesn't seem to work. I don't know if there is a need to pass any argument to qemu for a specific keymap or something.

Any ideas?

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Re: Qemu and Right Amiga key
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@walkeroQuote:
walkero wrote:I like to use the Right Amiga shortcuts a lot. They help me do a lot of the actions fast. On my Linux machine when I use the latest qemu 8.0.0 to run AmigaOS 4 that doesn't work at all, no matter what I do.

On my Macbook Pro though the right Amiga button works fine with the Right Command key.

What I would like to do is to have it working on my Linux system using the Right Alt button. Does anyone manage to do something like that?

To use the alt keys I have the selection at the Input prefs to switch the Amiga keys with the Alt keys enabled, but doesn't seem to work. I don't know if there is a need to pass any argument to qemu for a specific keymap or something.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure if it's helpful, but I found this:

https://howtoinstall.co/en/qemu-keymaps

http://michael.orlitzky.com/articles/ ... _%28qemu%29_keymaps.xhtml

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@walkero
I don't know the answer but I can confirm that using a Mac keyboard with Linux works so that could be an option. If you're stuck with a Windows keyboard it should be possible to change the mapping somewhere and there may be several places. First you can check what keycodes those keys generate (if you use X try xev) and see if you can remap them at the host so QEMU already gets the right codes. The Command keys of a Mac keyboard are mapped as Super_L and Super_R so if your windows menu key is something else you may want to set it as Super_R. If you only want to swap these keys within QEMU then I'm not sure there's an option for that. I saw several attempts to change this but not sure if any of those made it upstream and they seem to be within ui backends so would have to be done for each of those separtely. Likely none of these patches do what you want but maybe they show the places where these are handled within QEMU to check for further clues.
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/ ... vel/2021-07/msg03718.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2021-07/msg07285.html
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/ ... vel/2020-05/msg04533.html

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@walkero
If you have a keyboard with a right Logo (Windows) key (..., Space, Alt Gr., Logo, Menu, Ctrl) it should simply work, but most keyboards don't have that key anymore but only the Menu key between Alt Gr and Ctrl.
In AmigaOS there is a setting somewhere to use the Menu key instead of the right Logo key for the right Amiga key.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@walkero

I could see that as an issue since AmigaOS uses right alt as well. You are obviously limited by the keyboard. My laptop has no right logo or menu key but it does have a right ctrl which I assigned as right Amiga. However, I did that in FS-UAE, but not with Qemu.

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Thanks guys for your fast replies. Yeah, my keyboards do not have the right super key and I tried the menu key but didn't work.

The weird thing is that the switch of the Amiga keys to use the alt keys from the input prefs doesn't seem to work, which might be an incompatibility with OS4.

I have the right ctrl key, so the only thing I need to do is to find a way to map it to the right amiga key. I think there are some utilities that do that. I will have a look and let you know.

Follow me on
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@walkero
Quote:
I tried the menu key but didn't work.
It doesn't work by default as right Amiga key, it has to be enabled somewhere. If it's not in Input prefs maybe something lower level like USB HID or keymaps, but it's definitely possible since the keyboard I used with my Sam440 didn't have a right logo key either and I used the menu key instead.

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
The solution I found was to install the following utility
http://os4depot.net/?function=showfil ... lity/misc/keyremapper.lha

adding the following line at my user-startup

Run >nilc:AmigaKeyremapper.os4 ralt <>NIL:

This way I can use the Right Alt as the Right Amiga key just fine.

Follow me on
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@walkero

I think that can be enabled in prefs (can't remember, but I think it's input). I set it there and I can also use right alt as the amiga key without a remapper program.

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@steady
I know but for some reason it doesn't work on my Qemu setup.

Follow me on
Go to top

Register To Post