Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Sound and mp3s
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Hello to all. I'm glad that there is this forum which was needed...

I'd like to ask about the sound support on E-UAE. I have an installation with the latest AHI on my linux computer. It runs perfect but when I play mp3s with AmigaAMP or Amplifier, it sometimes trashes the sound and it runs slowly. Also when I move windows or other programs, the sound breaks for a while. I believe that there is no hardware support for decoding the AHI. Is there a way to make it faster?

I use:
OS3.9 with BBag #2 installed
AHI 6.6
mpega.library 2.4
Full Quality of mp3 playback
AHI prefs tried many different options but nothing better

Go to top
Re: Sound and mp3s
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@walkero

?move windows or other programs, the sound breaks for a while.?

That?s because intuition is locked for period of time, as result AmigaAMP is not able to update its own GUI, the result is that program stops, a better multithreaded AmigaAMP should not stop.

AHI can also suffer from program blocking multitasking for too long, or under heavy CPU load, AmigaOS3.x is far from perfect.

Off topic:
AmigaOS4.0 has features that deal whit many of the issues, but like non blocking menus, drag windows whit content, and resize windows width content, plus there a new exec API functions that can be used instead of blocking multitasking, memory protection and virtualized memory, of course not all new features are automatically used, because old programs do not know under what conditions is safe to use new features (or conditions where it can break backward capability), or because new features can?t simply replace none existing features, developers should there investigate new features and seek out when useful to use this.

Back to topic:
there are many parches that can help solve some the AmigaOS3.x issues (MCP for example has drag/resize window whit content).

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@walkero

Have you tried AHI 4, it is optimized 68k assembly code and hence faster than later ones. I used to play mp3 without any mixing (DeliTracker / mpega), since I'm not sure I can hear the difference between 44336 Hz and 44100 Hz.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Thematic

Quote:

Thematic wrote:

44336 Hz

Where did u get that from?(curious)

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top

Register To Post