Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 146

nubechecorre, TheMagicSN, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Find my ko-fi posts on Gemini
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
I recently created a page on the Gemini protocol where I copied all 2022 posts of mine that I made on ko-fi. Because ko-fi currently is not working well on any OS4 browser, I think the Gemini protocol is the best for everyone to access, with the minimum required resources. But if you want to support my work, you still need to visit my https://ko-fi.com/walkero page and do so.

You can visit a Gemini capsule with AmiGemini and IBrowse, and you can find my capsule at gemini://gem.walkero.gr/

Please, let me know what you think about Gemini and if this would be something you would use more and more to get informed.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Re: Find my ko-fi posts on Gemini
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@walkero
Quote:
Please, let me know what you think about Gemini and if this would be something you would use more and more to get informed.

Gemini is OK but it's not very convienent when I'm using Odyssey to browse, then run across a gemini link and have to go start up iBrowse. Plus iBrwose requres registration (which I have done) for a non time limited version, so it's not free.

Would something like weebly.com work for posting simple messages like you are trying to use Gemini for?

You can't use Odyssey to edit your pages but it's free for basic usage and it will display in Odyssey. If you end up liking it there are very resonalbly priced packages you can purchase to expand capabilities all the way to full store front support.
Just a thought.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@ktadd
Actually IBrowse is free with some limitations, but there is also AmiGemini which is free.

The problem for me is not creating a page where I can post my texts as I have on my blog at https://walkero.gr. Ko-fi is necessary for making it easy for those who want to support my work like you generously did in the past.

Also, using Gemini is an alternative way to communicate, which can run on any Amiga just fine. It is also an interesting topic to tinker with in your free time.

Follow me on
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@walkero

One of those limitations is Gemini support - it is disabled in the demo version of IBrowse.

IBrowse, AmiSSL and Warp Datatype Developer
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@walkero
Quote:
Actually IBrowse is free with some limitations, but there is also AmiGemini which is free.
<Removed some content>
Also, using Gemini is an alternative way to communicate, which can run on any Amiga just fine. It is also an interesting topic to tinker with in your free time.

Ok, so Gemini is soemthing you want to tinker with. Fair enough. The thing for me is we already have Discord (For which I have to use a PC browser.) and the Amiga websites. Now your creating content where I have to fire up a third program to visit. I would rather not have to start up three different programs to view Amiga content I'd like to follow. Two is bad enough.

Anyway, you have peaked my intrest (got me tinkering) and I downloaded and tried out AmiGemini. I like it. It's fast and I like the way it displays the text in color. The one downside, which will keep me from using it, is that it doesn't take the URL as a command line argument. That means I can't create a context menu item to use it to view any Gemini links I might run across while browsing the Web. (such as the one you supplied). I did look at the source code and it looks like such a feature would be very easy to add. If it had that I would use it to display Gemini links.

Since I have the paid version of IBrowse I have set up a context menu link entry so that I can easily start up IBrowse, from Odyssey, to view the gemini links. It takes longer to start then AmiGemini and doesn't use the nice colors but it's usable.

Having said that, I will use it to view gemini documents when I run across a gemini link while browsing the web but I'm not likely to start up Ibrowse or AmiGemini on a regular basis to check out Gemini pages. Will your blog have the same content as your Gemini pages?

That's just my take. I do enjoy reading your content though and I will continue supporting you as you release new contributions to the community. Thanks.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@Futaura
I missed that. Thank you for mentioning it here, so it is clear for everyone.

@ktadd
Thank you so much for your reply. I think that everything you say is quite valid. Having a third app just to see the specific pages is a downside, I agree with you.

I will continue posting on ko-fi and my personal blog as frequently as possible. My intention is to copy all the new posts to my capsule as well, for those that would like to use the Gemini protocol.

To be honest with you, I am not sure how many people are going to use the Gemini and if this will be actually something that will grow with more people using it globally. It is just like many things we like to do, experiment and play with.

Follow me on
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@walkero
Quote:
Please, let me know what you think about Gemini

Was jusst thinking about this some more when I realized that Gemini reminds me of the old 1990's era Lynx text based web browser I originally used on my Amiga 1000 long ago. It rendered web pages of that generation very much like Gemini renders it's pages. What goes around comes around. Fun trip down memory lane....

Lynx on Wikipedia
Alynx Browser on Aminet

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
I find this video really good in describing the purpose of Gemini.

Follow me on
Go to top

Register To Post