Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

flash, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmigaOne G3-SE DMA-fix instructions
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

I was wondering if the DMA-fix instructions exists for the G3-SE motherboard?
I do have the instructions for the XE motherboards, however they differ a bit in the board designs, so the patch cannot be applied in an identical manner. ( http://os4depot.net/?function=showfil ... l/a1xe_hardware_fixes.zip )

In my machine, in addition to IDE, the USB both on-board and with PCI is affected by the DMA issue. I can never get USB stable, probably until the DMA-fix is applied. Or, live without USB..
Onboard 3Com ethernet is also affected as it will suddenly stop the transmission and freeze. All three probably due to the same issue with the same origin.
Or - per the Eyetech documentation some software solution is found by setting the right VIA chip regsiter (undocumented..) to avoid the illegal PCI communication responsible for the issue..

On another note, would also be interested in the 1.1.6 and 1.2.0 firmware versions. Currently on 1.1.4, and would like to test the beta firmwares to see if my system can run better with the outstanding issues.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by monomango on 2023/1/13 13:54:06
Edited by monomango on 2023/1/13 15:07:14
Edited by monomango on 2023/1/13 15:10:19
AmigaOne G3-SE : G3@667MHz, Radeon 9200 AGP 256MB, 2GB Reg 133MHz RAM, RTL8169 gigabit Ethernet, NEC USB 2.0, Sii0680/Sii3114, PS/2 keyboard and mouse
AmigaOne X5000 : P5040, Radeon RX580, 16GB Reg RAM, ESI Juli@
Both: AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2, Linux
Go to top
Re: AmigaOne G3-SE DMA-fix instructions
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
USB is a separate fix due to a production error on the board. IIRC there were resisters in the circuitry where there should have been capacitors. Hopefully it's not too difficult to track down the exact details of the fix. I belive that using powered USB hub can solve the issue.

I saw in another thread that you plan to test PCIe cards in this machine. It's better to avoid the DMA fix if this is the case since you have to sacrifice the IDE DMA and USB to get a video card to function in one of the 33Mhz slot.
To work around the ethernet freezing you can either disable the IDE DMA or get a Silicon Image SIL 0680 IDE card which does not have a DMA conflict with the onboard ethernet. you probably won't be able find one new now but used cards are cheap and readily available on Ebay.

In case you aren't aware there is also an onboard audio driver on OS4 Depot.

Go to top
Re: AmigaOne G3-SE DMA-fix instructions
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The SE is a hard one. I've used one and it is a bit of a frustrater. It's generally recommended to use a powered USB hub but it can only go so far.

It would be good if a MFC existed with IDE/SATA and USB. Years ago maybe. But with a supported chipset available now would be rare.

However, the specification says it has four PCI slots and AGP. So should be enough space for an IDE card and USB card.

This may have the benefit of being slightly faster. And also adding USB2 ports. If they are stable in an SE.

If possible using the ECC and registered RAM should be best.

Go to top

Register To Post