Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 21 »
Re: gcc 9 and 10
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sTix
Newlib version will crash when perfomance-monitor not found (just forgotten null-pointer check). It is fixed in beta, but then it make no big difference for public release, as it will just silencly exit, without creating any gmon.out because perfomance monitor for x5000/Tabor were added just some weeks ago and currently in testing.

For clib2 build you will have no crash, but you will also have no gmon.out file created, because of the same "no perfomance monitor available for x5000 on public kernels"

Currently in the public, the only way to test all those things for us, it just grab my test gmon.out's from there:

https://kas1e.mikendezign.com/aos4/tmp/perfomance_monitor_tests.zip

And to try to understand why current version of gprof didn't parse output correctly. At least to know if it "-pg" generate "wrong" code. Or it is gprof itself can't read it as expected.

At least in case with clib2, we have all the "-pg / creating of gmon.out" related code there:

https://github.com/sodero/clib2/blob/m ... library/profile__mcount.c
https://github.com/sodero/clib2/blob/master/library/profile_gmon.c
https://github.com/sodero/clib2/blob/m ... /library/profile_profil.c

Of course some bits also in gcc/binutils itself (to handle part of "-pg" switch), dunno where at the moment..

EDIT: I think i also can go that route : install on cross-compiler VERY old SDK, just the first one or so. Then can try to build things with -pg / use gprof /etc, to see, if/when things start to work (or not) at all. And step by step can rule out things.

Edited by kas1e on 2022/1/19 22:27:38
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sTix
SIGPROF is part of the ISO standard but under posix 1-2001 and susv, posix is it's own standard under ieee 1003
And iso 9945 the latest version is IEEE Std 1003.1-2017
It is compromised of
Quote:
Parts before 1997
Before 1997, POSIX comprised several standards:

POSIX.1: Core Services (incorporates Standard ANSI C) (IEEE Std 1003.1-1988)
Process Creation and Control
Signals
Floating Point Exceptions
Segmentation / Memory Violations
Illegal Instructions
Bus Errors
Timers
File and Directory Operations
Pipes
C Library (Standard C)
I/O Port Interface and Control
Process Triggers
POSIX.1b: Real-time extensions (IEEE Std 1003.1b-1993, later appearing as librt—the Realtime Extensions library)[9])
Priority Scheduling
Real-Time Signals
Clocks and Timers
Semaphores
Message Passing
Shared Memory
Asynchronous and Synchronous I/O
Memory Locking Interface
POSIX.1c: Threads extensions (IEEE Std 1003.1c-1995)
Thread Creation, Control, and Cleanup
Thread Scheduling
Thread Synchronization
Signal Handling
POSIX.2: Shell and Utilities (IEEE Std 1003.2-1992)
Command Interpreter
Utility Programs

Versions after 1997
After 1997, the Austin Group developed the POSIX revisions. The specifications are known under the name Single UNIX Specification, before they become a POSIX standard when formally approved by the ISO.
POSIX.1-2001 (with two TCs)

POSIX.1-2001 (or IEEE Std 1003.1-2001) equates to the Single UNIX Specification version 3.[10]

This standard consisted of:

the Base Definitions, Issue 6,
the System Interfaces and Headers, Issue 6,
the Commands and Utilities, Issue 6.

IEEE Std 1003.1-2004 involved a minor update of POSIX.1-2001. It incorporated two minor updates or errata referred to as Technical Corrigenda (TCs).[11] Its contents are available on the web.[12]

POSIX.1-2008 (with two TCs)

Base Specifications, Issue 7 (or IEEE Std 1003.1-2008, 2016 Edition) is similar to the current 2017 version (as of 22 July 2018).[13][14]

This standard consists of:

the Base Definitions, Issue 7,
the System Interfaces and Headers, Issue 7,
the Commands and Utilities, Issue 7,

the Rationale volume.POSIX.1-2017

IEEE Std 1003.1-2017 (Revision of IEEE Std 1003.1-2008) - IEEE Standard for Information Technology—Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX(R)) Base Specifications, Issue 7 is available from either The Open Group or IEEE and is, as of 22 July 2018, the current standard. It is technically identical to POSIX.1-2008 with Technical Corrigenda 1 and 2 applied. A free online copy may still be available.[13]

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trgswe

Sorry, I was a bit sloppy there, by ISO I meant ISO C, not POSIX. The only mandatory signals are SIGABRT, SIGFPE, SIGILL, SIGINT, SIGSEGV and SIGTERM.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

I just can't find any tool except gprof that can read gmon.out. It would be nice to know if it's gprof itself that's broken, or if gmon.out contains garbage.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

I just saw the other thread and that you're trying to isolate the problem. Good idea.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sTix
Btw, it seems we soon or later need to deal with updating Binutils. The latest GCC 11 start to use dwarf-5 as default, and most of our stuff from current Binutils start to bring errors. It still works correctly mostly, but still, when you build things not just with -gstabs, but with anything else, there are screams about dwarf-5 not being supported in BFD.

GCC 10.x is still ok.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

You're right. It's just a question of time before newer versions of gcc require a more recent binutils than what we have.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sTix
Btw, can you clarify a bit one more time situation with Clib2 ?

I mean, did i understand right, that sba/adtools is the latest public stuff we got in terms of gcc/binutils, but when it comes to clib2, then what we have on the sba/adtools are outdated stuff, and we can not need to rely on it. The one which is the last one is https://github.com/adtools/clib2, and your changes on clib2 you want to push there, that correct?

I just see on your clib2 forked repo, that you have a lot of changes done but they all mark as "Some checks were not successful"...

In other words, if one wants to contribute to clib2 and does not want to face an unmaintained pull request, is it mean that better to use your repo for now?

ps. Is your mail that ola.soder at axis current one?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
I mean, did i understand right, that sba/adtools is the latest public stuff we got in terms of gcc/binutils

Correct, Sebastian is very quick to respond to PR:s so sba1/adtools is always up to date.

Quote:
but when it comes to clib2, then what we have on the sba/adtools are outdated stuff, and we can not need to rely on it

No, when you build adtools you get the latest stable from my clib2 fork (it's unfortunate that it exists at all, but it is what it is, you know the history :)).

If you look in 'native-build/makefile' in adtools you'll find the following lines:

Quote:

CLIB2_URL=https://github.com/sodero/clib2
CLIB2_SHA1=18ff2b535a59fff8aa5237c08fe32551cb0bfe45

The SHA1 refers to HEAD of the 'main' branch in sodero/clib2 (not 'master', that's full of experiments).

Summary:
- sba1/adtools is always up to date.
- PR:s for clib2 should be made for the 'main' branch in sodero/clib2.
- Once the clib2 PR is merged another PR with an updated CLIB2_SHA1 should be made for 'master' in sba1/adtools.

Quote:
ps. Is your mail that ola.soder at axis current one?

Yes, but I tend to not read e-mails during the weekends, too much work related things pop up.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sTix
What is interesting, is that indeed, when one builds GCC/Binutils via cross-compiler, then "-flto" just works as expected. If that builds for native versions, then once you tried to use "-flto", you have back "-f may not be used without -shared", then if I add "-shared" it builds, but of course didn't. While, on cross-compiler (the same version of GCC, etc), everything works without -shared and no error of such kind.

It's like something wrong with ldscripts maybe on the native side or something... I mean it surely not the binaries issue, but configuration one.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Interesting. My guess is that it's due to this:

Quote:
--enable-plugin is necessary for gcc-ar, gcc-nm and gcc-ranlib to work, which
must be used with GCC 4.9 for LTO to work.

From the binutils Makefile, --enable-plugin isn't set in the native target (and maybe there's a reason for that):
Quote:

18 cross:
19 mkdir -p $(CROSS_BUILD_DIR)
20 cd $(CROSS_BUILD_DIR); CFLAGS="-Wno-switch -Wno-unused -Wno-implicit-fallthrough -Wno-cast-function-type" $(REAL_SRC_DIR)/configure \
21 --enable-plugins \
22 --target=ppc-amigaos \
23 --prefix=$(PREFIX)
24 make -C $(CROSS_BUILD_DIR)
26 native:
27 mkdir -p $(NATIVE_BUILD_DIR)
28 cd $(NATIVE_BUILD_DIR); LDFLAGS="-lunix" CFLAGS="-Wno-switch -Wno-unused -Wno-implicit-fallthrough -Wno-cast-function-type" $(REAL_SRC_DIR)/
29 --target=ppc-amigaos \
30 --host=ppc-amigaos \
31 --disable-nls \
32 --prefix=/gcc
33 make -C $(NATIVE_BUILD_DIR)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sTix
Good find! Will check it!

What is interesting is why for native build with have --disable-nls ? I read it is for disabling localizations, just curious if it is still the case. But probably is it, as once things refer to localisations it means a lot piece of work for no benefits (especially for compilers, etc).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

I agree, for compilers localization isn't worth the effort. Since it's GNU, maybe it depends on glibc, gettext and whatnot. Just guessing though.

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Is there a possibility that the line at https://github.com/sba1/adtools/blob/m ... gcc-build/features.mk#L12 is involved?

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Walkero
This line is exactly enabling lto, which we need, and which we need to fix to work on native build. I.e. those lines are new, for enabling lto, yes.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Yeah... I am checking right now if when I build the native compiler if this is actually executed, as it should.

Follow me on
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Based on my tests when I build the native compiler, the https://github.com/sba1/adtools/blob/m ... gcc-build/features.mk#L12 is working fine.

I will check sodero's comment.

If you do
gcc -v
you will see the flags that were used to compile it, and --enable-lto is listed there.

Follow me on
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@walkero
Yes, lto enabled on native build too, but not working on the native build, because we do not have --enable-plugin for native builds as well (i.e. not only enabling of lto need it, but also --enable-plugin to make them works). At least, --enable-plugin is enabled for cross-compiling, and it works, for native, it is not, and it didn't work.

I.e. 2 options should be set to for compiler to make lto works. One which you point out, and additional --enable-plugin (because lto is a kind of plugin). But this one should be set in binutils Makefile as Sodero shown

Quote:

the https://github.com/sba1/adtools/blob/m ... gcc-build/features.mk#L12 is working fine.

By "working fine", you should be able to do "ppc-amigaos-gcc -flto test.c -o test" , and the test case should be compiled (see -flto option added) and be smaller by size in comparison with one when compiled without -flto.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@kas1e
By working fine I meant that the parameters are passed as they should to configure, so the --enable-lto is used fine.

Now, I tried to compile with --enable-plugin in binutils, as sodero proposed but I get the following error

configureerror

Building BFD with plugin support requires a host that supports -ldl.
make[3]: *** [Makefile:2457configure-bfdError 1
make
[3]: Leaving directory '/opt/adtools/native-build/binutils-native-build-2.23.2'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:838allError 2
make
[2]: Leaving directory '/opt/adtools/native-build/binutils-native-build-2.23.2'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:29nativeError 2
make
[1]: Leaving directory '/opt/adtools/binutils-build'
make: *** [makefile:245binutils-native-done-2.23.2Error 2

Maybe it has to do with my compiling environment. I will investigate more.

Follow me on
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@walkero
Quote:
Maybe it has to do with my compiling environment. I will investigate more.

I'm not in front of a proper machine right now so I can't do any real digging but it looks like there could be a dlopen() problem. In the configure script in binutils/bfd you'll see that enable_dlopen isn't set if you search for the error message you showed.

If you look in native-build/binutils-native-something/bfd you should find a config.log. That's the autotools output from the configure step. In that one you might find some dlopen related clues.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 21 »