Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Nightlong (FMV format/encoder?)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Does maybe anyone know what kind of tricks were performed (or what special encoder/decoder were used) to play back the fmv's from Nightlong Amiga?

None of the players (amiga and pc) can play them and so far I also haven't found any similarities with a hex editor (or deficons, which has a neat LEARN option that finds similarities).

There is no "fmv" or any other tag to be found in the files.

Did clickboom maybe use on-the-fly encoders/decoders?

Any information is helpful, thank you

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Re: Nightlong (FMV format/encoder?)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
How's it compare bitrate per pixel per ... quality? Maybe need to determine if it's lossy... not sure if that would be more challenging than lossless compression.

I don't suppose it's some thing turned into bigendian (only).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Thematic

From what i gathered so far is that there were two versions of the FMV's.
Some reduced in size (to probably play them back on 68k targets stutter-free) simply named xxx.fmv2 and the rest in (i think) the same resolution as the PC version used (called .fmv).

To make them still fit the 3 CDs i'm pretty sure they re-encoded (also the original videos) for size, but i'm not sure and i also know nothing about reverse engineering 68k code, so can't look for a decoder.

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all

Could someone with an EAB account maybe relay this question over to them?
I don't want to create yet another account just for this single question.

Thank you

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel

Just so that it won't get lost in the depth of the interwebs

https://codecs.multimedia.cx/2021/07/f ... ut-h4m-and-nightlong-fmv/
Quote:

Final news about H4M and Nightlong FMV
In my previous post I said I was looking at them and while some details were unknown, I got some understanding.

But it turns out The Multimedia Mike despite what he claims still hasn’t lost the knack for REing codecs—first you need to look if somebody else has done it already. And indeed, somebody else has spent two years on reverse engineering the codec. So all that was left to me was to improve its description it (which I did).

The video compression there is quite curious. Huffman-coded data chunks are not that rare (Truemotion 2 had them, for example). Huffman-coded data chunks where one chunk has tree description coded in the beginning that is used for several other chunks is more interesting. But the transforms was the juiciest part there. It turns out you have several modes of operation: fill block, raw block, smoothed DC block (that one uses DCs from neighbour blocks on all sides to create a smooth transition between them all) and the actual Adaptive Orthogonal Transform that represents block as 1-5 patterns (scaled), selected from single matrix. It reminds me a bit about SVQ1 where you had a block constructed from 2D patterns of varying size. But even more it reminds me of Matching Pursuit experimental video codec from Berkley University that also performed partial transform and selected only some bases from a large set (does anybody remember this codec at all?).

Nightlong FMV is a bit different. The format is simple but FMV2 has packed frames and there was no code for handling it in 68k version of the binary. Nevertheless I could unpack it simply by dumping frame data and extracting it with unar (PowerPacker is a strange compression format BTW, it starts reading data from the end of buffer and outputs data starting from the end as well). The unpacked data turned out to use the same format except that the frame size is now full 640×360 instead of 320×180 trying to look like twice as large. I documented it as well. (see below)

and
https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Nightlong_FMV

Quote:

Nightlong FMV

This is the video format used by Amiga version of Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy game.

Video comes in two flavours: 320x180 (with .fmv extension) and 640x360 (with .fmv2 extension). Frame is split into tiles (4x4 for 320x180 resolution, 8x8 for 640x360) and each tile can be either skipped or coded/updated with raw pixels.

Container format
FMV/FMV2 starts with 32-bit little-endian number telling the number of frames and a table of 32-bit numbers telling the frame sizes.

Frame data
Frame data for FMV is stored unpacked and FMV2 frames are packed with PowerPacker and can be distinguished by PP20 magic word at the start of the frame (it cannot happen in the ordinary frame data and thus can be used to detect FMV2 by content).

Frame data consists of several opcodes:

0x80 (should be the first one if present and there's at most one such code) - palette update. Next byte is palette entries count minus one followed by the actual palette triplets. Only low 5 bits are used;
0x20 signals this is a skip frame and no image data is coded;
0x21 signals a row skip. The following byte tells how many lines starting from the current one should be skipped (including the current row). For either variant of FMV this value assumes 8-pixel rows (so for 320x180 video it should be halved);
0x00 signals that current tile should be skipped;
0x42 signals a raw tile with the following 16 or 64 bytes being raw pixels
0x43 signals a sub-divided and partially updated tile. Each quarter starts either with 0x42 opcode signalling it is a raw sub-block and the following 4 or 16 pixels should be read from the stream, or the opcode is a combination of flags telling which quarter of sub-block (1 or 4 pixels) should be updated.

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top

Register To Post