Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Which PCI slot is the one that's mutually exclusive with SATA on the Sam 460ex?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
There are 3 PCI slots in the Sam 460 ex right? Two long ones and one short one. The gfx card goes in the right most slot (looking at the front of the board with the backplane facing away).

Then there's a full size one in the middle. Then there's a little one on the left.

Is it the middle one that can't coexist with the SATA? Or the little one on the left?

I ask because today I installed a 3com wifi card into the middle slot, and OS4 wouldn't boot until i removed the J16 jumper and set the uboot to PCI mode, and then it worked fine. Until I did that, it locked up each time I got to the point where uboot hands off to OS4 after loading the kickstart.

Go to top
Re: Which PCI slot is the one that's mutually exclusive with SATA on the Sam 460ex?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
its the pci-1 that is excluded if using onboard sata.. but you shouldn't be using oboard sata. instead get a sata card like Silicon Image SiI3114 SATA controller (PCI)

https://www.amiga-shop.net/en/Amiga-Ha ... ntroller-4-Port::474.html

and get Envy24HT audio card (PCI-1x)

https://www.amiga-shop.net/en/Amiga-Ha ... -VT1723-Envy24D::770.html

is what im using.. this for me is very stable with no fuzz

why not using onboard sound? because it is shit quality and Envy24HT is 100 times better

Sam460ex 2GB 120Gb SSD&1Tb HD7750 Envy24HT A-Eon Drv 2.10+Warp3D New Uboot
Apollo v4 Standalone
Go to top
Re: Which PCI slot is the one that's mutually exclusive with SATA on the Sam 460ex?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
My question is which one is the pci 1 ?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
p.s. i don't use SATA at all, USB all the way

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@NinjaCyborg

I don't have a SAM460ex, but according to this manual

see page 8

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Yes I read the manual. Which one is the mutually exclusive port? the one on the left or the one in the middle?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@NinjaCyborg

The one on the left, the little one, J18 :)

Max Tretene, ACube Systems Srl, Soft3
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@m3x

OK that's what I thought except yesterday I couldn't get the machine to boot with a card in the middle slot, until i disabled the onboard SATA.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@noXLar

BTW it also came with that SATA card but I don't have anything to plug into it so I'm not using it. What's it for anyway? All modern devices are SATA2/SATA3 right?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@NinjaCyborg

They should be able to use SATA-I (1.5 Gbps) too.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@NinjaCyborg
I can't boot my SAM460ex with its on-board SATA enabled either. So you're not alone with that :)

Regards, Thomas

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@graff

Ah well it booted fine before I put a card in the main PCI slot, although I didn't have anything plugged into the SATA connector at all. But it was enabled in firmware and with the jumper.

Anyway I guess this is all moot. I have a SATA card to use if I need SATA. I have added wifi for convenience. I can't think of anything else I need since fortunately the board is graced with so many USBs.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@NinjaCyborg

using onboard sata port is very limited in that way you only get one drive. using 4port pci card was very good and stable with many drives. the pci slot had not be used for anything anyway.

and like i said using pci 1x sound card, witch is 100 times better sound than that crappy onboard sound.
so, if you put in a pci 1x card, you can not use onboard sata.

Sam460ex 2GB 120Gb SSD&1Tb HD7750 Envy24HT A-Eon Drv 2.10+Warp3D New Uboot
Apollo v4 Standalone
Go to top

Register To Post