Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

ferrels, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Quake II
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi, me again with a problem

I messed up my working installed Quake II by accidently selecting hardware render and couldn't get it working again. I deleted the game drawer and done a fresh install which all went okay. When I tried to run the game I could hear it but no screen or graphics, I seem to remember it went to software render by default but I have no graphics whatsoever!

I have a SAM460 fitted with a Radeon HD 4650 GFX card, when I installed my previous version I was using the in-built GFX card.

I cannot find any config files for me to manually edit to make it run okay, any ideas?

SAM 460 with 2GB or RAM, 1000GB HD, 4 port SATA, DVDRW drive and Radeon HD 4650 GFX card.
Go to top
Re: Quake II
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@All

Maybe someone can send me their config file to be able to start the game in software render mode, I don't seem to have a config file?

SAM 460 with 2GB or RAM, 1000GB HD, 4 port SATA, DVDRW drive and Radeon HD 4650 GFX card.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
i will see if i can find my cfg file its working in software on my amigaone500 (sam460ex)

grtz
klapdeur

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sicky Quote:
When I tried to run the game I could hear it but no screen or graphics

I don't think this is caused by your Quake 2 config file! Do you mean you see a BLACK screen, or that you still see your Workbench/etc?

First option
If you still see Workbench/etc, then I think Quake 2 is opening on a screen that is not shown by your monitor. Specifically, I think you may have screenmodes for BOTH your internal graphics chip AND your RadeonHD card, and Quake 2 is picking one of those by default.

The solution is to get rid of screenmodes for your internal graphics chip:

1. I have read that you can select the "primary" graphics chip/card from the Sam460's firmware (Uboot). Make sure it is using PCI-Express (RadeonHD).

2. Check your Sys:Devs/Monitors folder. Make a backup of this folder before you make any changes! If it contains something like "PCI Graphics", then get rid of this (delete or move it). What else does it contain?

Second option
If you see a BLACK screen, then I think Quake 2 is opening on a screen resolution not supported by the monitor. Most likely it is a 320x... resolution added by RunInUAE, which is not supported by the RadeonHD (which I will be avoiding in the next RunInUAE release).

Please start Sys:Prefs/ScreenMode. Go to it's Monitors tab. You have two possibilities:

1. "Detect settings automatically" is ticked, and you can see some 320x... resolutions ticked in the greyed-out "Manual settings" area. Untick "Detect settings auto", then untick those resolutions, then re-tick "Detect settings auto". Then click Save, and reboot!

2. "Detect settings automatically" is UNticked, and you can see some 320x... resolutions ticked in the "Manual settings" area. Just untick those resolutions, then click Save, and reboot!

WARNING: Before making any changes, please make a backup copy of your Sys:Devs/Monitors folder!

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

When I run Quake 11 I get audio and the workbench screen remains.

Quote:
The solution is to get rid of screenmodes for your internal graphics chip:

1. I have read that you can select the "primary" graphics chip/card from the Sam460's firmware (Uboot). Make sure it is using PCI-Express (RadeonHD).

How do I go about this?
Quote:
2. Check your Sys:Devs/Monitors folder. Make a backup of this folder before you make any changes! If it contains something like "PCI Graphics", then get rid of this (delete or move it). What else does it contain?

In sys:devs/monitors I have PCIGraphics and Radeon

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Before venturing into any changes, if you have an extra monitor, you might want to try connecting it to the builtin monitor port, just to see if the game is actually displayed there. If it is, you have confirmed that the situation is the one ChrisH describes as First Option.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sicky Quote:
How do I go about this?

Not a clue, as I don't have a Sam460. I mean, when you power-on your Sam460 you will get a black screen with some white text shown, and there should be some indication about what key you press to enter the set-up menu (or similar). But beyond that you will either need to find a manual, or someone else will need to help you.

Quote:
In sys:devs/monitors I have PCIGraphics and Radeon

PCIGraphics looks like the culprit. I suggest moving it outside of the Monitors folder (into say Devs). Wait a few seconds & then reboot.

If you still see the Workbench after rebooting, then you can safely move PCIGraphics into the Sys:Storage/Monitors folder.

OTOH, if you cannot see Workbench, then you will need to move PCIGraphics back to where it was. This is easiest to do by booting from your OS4 CD (if you have one), otherwise we will need to get you to boot without any startup-sequence & tell you the commands to execute. Since you have a backup partition (I think?), you might be able to boot from that instead (by holding down both mouse buttons (just before the OS4 logo appears).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have send you a pm with my details of the config file of quake II in soft render mode
hope its helps

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@klapdeur

Quote:
I have send you a pm with my details of the config file of quake II in soft render mode
hope its helps

Oh thank you so much, my Quake 11 is now working correctly

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sicky
I still think that PCIGraphics thing will be causing your problems: Typically if a program/game requests a resolution not supported by your RadeonHD card, then it may end-up using your internal chip (which will mean you won't see the screen!).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I don't know if my problem is due to the same thing but I get a "couldn't open window" message when starting the game.

@Klapdeur: Can you post your config file? or pm it to me as well, thanks.

-=Delta
Go to top

Register To Post