Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
63 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

JavaScript JVM
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
This looks exciting.

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/ ... /javascript-jvm-runs-java

Also check out (linked from the comments): http://blog.zortrium.net/archives/96 which is another implementation, unrelated to the first link.

Perhaps it would be possible to wrap an Amiga specific JVM using Webkit.

Apparently these implementations have the Java classes too? I'm intrigued.

Need to research it further, but I think this is perhaps something we could use.

Go to top
Re: JavaScript JVM
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Sounds interesting and it would be really cool if we could get it on OS4

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Is the webkit Javascript code optimized already, for PPC?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Indeed cool.

However, as the developers say, its more a proof of concept. In its current state I'm guessing it is of no more (but rather less) use than JAmiga. Furthermore, since it lives in the JavaScript universe, AmigaOS-specific stuff wont be usable (i.e. ReAction/MUI, file I/O, etc), atleast not without an Amiga specific class library. But then again, if it was implemented by using the DOM tree and regular HTML forms it would be possible to get some sort of GUI support. JavaScript in the web browser context cannot interact with the desktop in any way, i.e. open files and such. (If I understood right, the dev mentioned that the minor file I/O used, was handled outside the web browser context.)

One could possibly use Spidermonkey JavaScript available on os4depot, if OWB's JS lib is not possible, and adapt to some hooks to Amiga... but that's basically what's currently going on with JAmiga.

I don't mean to sound negative, its really a cool project. But it won't magically make Java fully function on Amiga. Not yet atleast.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yeah I was thinking if you tie it into an existing browser implementation then it can use that to provide a GUI of sorts, disk I/O and whatnot.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

MickJT wrote:
Yeah I was thinking if you tie it into an existing browser implementation then it can use that to provide a GUI of sorts, disk I/O and whatnot.

GUI yes, file I/O no. I guess it would be possible to have a local server that receives data to write a file to disk, but JavaScript in a browser cannot natively write to disk. It could be possible to use the mozilla spidermonkey library which exists for OS4. But that's outside the browser environment.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jaokim

Hows JAmiga going btw?
You already put quite an amount of time and work into it...did you get some devs to help you?
Whats the status?

Thanks

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel
Its going slow. At the moment its just me, but Thore is working on MorphOS, and Chris is an OS3 resource. I am hoping to get some more done, but after new year I'm starting a new project at work and will probably not have much good brain activity after work.

I try to post stuff in the blog whenever there is anything (or nothing) to report: http://jamiga2.blogspot.com/

Maintainer and developer for Jamiga2 - Java for Amiga
Go to top

Register To Post