Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Interesting post..... (Did you know this?)
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
"I'm not going to get into the merits of this debate but I do need to correct you on a very significant point.

Hyperion has two of the original Amiga Technologies GmbH developers working on AmigaOS 4.x.

To my knowledge, both contributed to the classic 68K AmigaOS (i.e. a long time before AmigaOS 3.5 and 3.9 were released).

One is Olaf Barthel who is the one that cleaned up all the original Commodore 3.1 source-code, made it all compile with a single compiler, put all the code in a CVS etc. and essentially made AmigaOS 4.x possible without wasting a massive amount of time.

Another is Heinz Wrobel (who many may know as the author of Envoy).

Those who know where to look for it will find code of both of these guys in AmigaOS 2.x - 3.1.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no former Commodore/Amiga Technologies developers working on other Amiga like operating systems. Feel free to correct me.

On top of that, Hyperion is using the original Commodore source-code which can be traced back to the very beginning. Nobody else can (openly) claim the same, I'm sorry.

Contrary to popular belief, a lot of that code is still incorporated into the OS e.g. Workbench and AREXX.

Now please lets not have an My OS is better than the Other OS bashing thread, I am posting this because its something I did not know. - Am I alone?

Source: http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... wmode=flat&order=0#635104

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Re: Interesting post..... (Did you know this?)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I did not know that before i saw that on aw.net. Cool to see that some are still with the development.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yes, I cheered that post on that site!

Always endevour to support with saying as little as possible as well LOL

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Mikey_C

I did know that and I named both before I reached "to my knowledge" . It's a good post and does cement OS4's link to 68k AmigaOS.

Heinz was responsible for the New Style Devices patch which was later incorporated into SetPatch. It can remap devices to other devices and provide a compatiblity layer with TD64. It is still in SetPatch and is mapping serial.device to sam440ep_serial.device here for old programs that are hardcoded to serial.device (this is pretty much the only thing SetPatch does on the SAM, I imagine Classic Amigas get patched a lot more)

Olaf is best known as the author of Roadshow (OS4's TCP/IP stack).

We should be proud to have both on our side.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
But are both *still* with the team?

Olaf suffered from burn-out some year ago iirc and i read somewhere way back that Heinz left Amiga (coding) for good...

...but that could all be my memory playing tricks on me, of course.
Please correct me if i'm wrong.

That would be awesome news (for me) if both are still with the team

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Olaf is still with us, not sure what he is doing but have seen him post something very recently.

X5000
Go to top

Register To Post