Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 134

MamePPCA1, Raziel, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmigaOS Version
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

Another question requiring a prompt answer. :)

How do I obtain the current the AmigaOS version string? Is there a way to do this using any of the SYS:C/ commands?

I have looked at 'SYS:C/version internal' which returns 'Kickstart xx.x, Workbench xx.x'.

Do these relate directly to the current AmigaOS version string?

If so can any tell me what versions relate to 4.0 onwards up to Update 3.

Thanks.

Go to top
Re: AmigaOS Version
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
try here

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@djrikki

The Workbench version appears to be the same as the version.library version but where the Kickstart version comes from exactly I'm not sure. For some reason I've always assumed that it was the same as the exec.library version (never bothered to actually check this) but checking it now it appears that I was wrong about this.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Discovered a way how to get the AmigaOS textual version string. Not bullet-proof as I know people love to tinker with stuff they shouldn't, but it works well for the project I am working on which is information based. If you need to be absolutely precise I suggest you follow Hans' approach kindly provided by Derfs link.

SYS:kickstart/kicklayout

Open this in Notepad and you will notice a line beginning with 'LABEL AmigaOS' after this the textual version follows.

How do I find this? Simple.

Find dirs dh0: contents 'update 3' so bloody easy in the end lol

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

No real solution - it's only a text string, that has no further meaning (to the system). I had always "...Update 1" in my kicklayout despite the fact that the system ran with Update 2. I was to lazy to change that string.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

djrikki wrote:
Discovered a way how to get the AmigaOS textual version string. Not bullet-proof as I know people love to tinker with stuff they shouldn't, but it works well for the project I am working on which is information based. If you need to be absolutely precise I suggest you follow Hans' approach kindly provided by Derfs link.

Open this in Notepad and you will notice a line beginning with 'LABEL AmigaOS' after this the textual version follows.

How do I find this? Simple.

Find dirs dh0: contents 'update 3' so bloody easy in the end lol

This file *is* user configurable and will be for example on almost all betatesters systems. Because it allows to fine tune which module is loaded or not, it also allows to load debug kernel and/or modules etc.
So in effect you might as well end-up with multiple lines starting with 'LABEL' because in the end this is only what it pretend to be : a *label* that is only used for display at the system loading (i.e. in UBoot or CFE). Good luck with such trick to have a reliable result...

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
And just to add weight to abalaban's argument:

---8<---
# search Kickstart/kicklayout LABEL | wc -l
---8<---

This is on one of my AmigaOne systems. One of the 19 lines found is a comment line, the other 18 are actual configurations.

So ... better get your thinking cap back on .

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post