Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Weird Runinuae Prob
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Here is a weird problem I am facing. Most probably it has something to do, with one of my settings, but still I can't understand how to fix it / what caused it.

I have a valid AmigaSYS3 (latest r.) HDF, heavily modified, on my WinUAE. Runs well and fast.

So, I copied the HDF via a usb (along with kick3.1.rom / kick1.3.rom /key.rom and an eight GB folder full of whdload games) to my Work partition (DH1:)

I mounted the HDF via DiskImage (latest version on OS4Depot, after initial installation made a reboot) and saw a new partition called "System" on my Workbench. I clicked on it and saw my AmigaSYS3 in order.

Installed the r3 Runinuae (copied the amigfx, when prompted for WB3.1 I pointed the mounted HDF). Installer didn't mentioned any problems.

So, first thing I did, was to reboot but I forgot to unmount the HDF. After reboot, Amidock complained about missing some icons (e.g. OWB). Half of my AmiDock icons were missing although the address they should point to was correct.

Perhaps, this is caused by the two "System" partitions I have (1 the default of OS4 and 1 the mounted HDF ASYS3). After I unmounted the HDF and rebooted, AmiDock worked correctly.

Then, I tried to make some tests. Tried to bring up WB3.1 from right click on the Amidock's Runinuae but got a note that UAE isn't responding. I quited UAE. I enabled "basic workbench" option and tried again. I waited a couple of seconds and apparently the system hang. So I made a soft reboot.

And now, the real problem. OS4 doesn't boot! First, the whole look, looks like OS3.1 (colors etc, except the pointer that is just like in OS4). I have an AmigaDos message saying C:Execute: object not found

Then a Preferences message: Can't load picture "Work: blablabla".

I click Continue.

Then a new Preferences message: Can't load picture "SYS: Prefs/Presets/Default/Common/patterns/smallerw.png".

I click continue and a new System request: Intution is trying to reset workbench screen. Please close all windows except drawers.

While another message says "Hint: Basic Workbench mode is enabled!"

When I close all screens, a pure white backdrop appears whitout any icon/partition that doesn't respond to anything.

LOL wtf, did I do again?

PS: I rebooted, hold down both mouse buttons and checked that the HDF image ASYS3 is NOT mounted (or at least it doesn't appear to be).

Go to top
Re: Cannot boot OS4
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Cool_amigaN

I wouldn't call this a RunInUAE problem if OS4 doesn't boot. All I can suggest is to boot from the OS4 CD and check your files, and partition flags in HDToolBox.

Other than that, change the title of the thread so more people read it.

Go to top
Re: Weird Runinuae Prob
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cool_amigaN

Could it be that DiskImage is started in WBStartup?

If you unmount the partition and close DiskImage does NOT mean that it is SAVED in DiskImage, read: the partition is still mounted on the next startup, because it is still in DiskImage list

The Hint: Basic Workbench is part of RunInUAE and means that at this point your HDF was already loaded again

Remove DiskImage from WBStartup and reboot

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

I agree with your points. How will I remove diskimage from wbstarup where I cannot enter a working wb session?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cool_amigaN
Your post is quite confused/confusing, because it's hard to tell when you are talking about OS4, and when about the OS3 running inside E-UAE.

I assume you know how to tell the difference? LeftAmiga-N takes you to OS4's Workbench, while LeftAmiga-M takes you between the different OS4 screens (including the E-UAE screen if it is open).

Also note that the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Alt-Q (when used on the E-UAE screen) forces E-UAE to close. Beware that you need to press (and hold) Ctrl first, followed by Alt, followed by Q.

But it sounds suspiciously like RunInUAE is making E-UAE boot into OS3 Workbench as soon as OS4 itself boots, and this may be leading to some confusion? This should not normally be possible, but if you (a) have RunInUAE started by WbStartup, and (b) have some 68k program (which you previously told RunInUAE to run in E-UAE) also being run by OS4 during start-up, then this might be possible.

edit: But if worst comes to the worst, you can boot OS4 using"No Startup-Sequence", and then use some Shell commands to fix the problem. But let's not jump the gun yet, since I still suspect/hope you are merely being confused by OS3 running on OS4 boot.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Hey man! Well, since I ticked "basic workbench mode" and tried to run workbench through RuninUAE, the system froze. None of the hotkeys was working. So I rebooted my Sam manually. Afterwards, as soon as OS4 splash screen finishes I get the following:

Quote:

I have an AmigaDos message saying C:Execute: object not found

Then a Preferences message: Can't load picture "Work: blablabla".

I click Continue.

Then a new Preferences message: Can't load picture "SYS: Prefs/Presets/Default/Common/patterns/smallerw.png".

I click continue and a new System request: Intuition is trying to reset workbench screen. Please close all windows except drawers.

While another message says "Hint: Basic Workbench mode is enabled!"

When I close all screens, a pure white backdrop appears without any icon/partition that doesn't respond to anything.

Yesterday, I made a small effort and I booted with no-startup-sequence to have a look. For sure I boot into OS4 (cause it says Hyperion Entertainment copyright and such).

I typed ed s:startup-sequence. It look normal to me (couldn't find any mention for diskimage nor RuninUAE, same goes for user-startup). Still on the upper (first) line of startup-sequence it says "Failatline21". What does that mean?

Btw, I deleted from s: a script that was called "runinuae-basic workbench", or something and now I don't get the message "Hint: Basic Workbench mode is enabled!". I also deleted a script called "runinuae".

I also deleted diskimage from Devs, Runinuae from my installation folder (work:Runinuae).

Still the problem continues. All I get after the above errors of Preferences finish, is a pure white wb on reduced resolution, without any functionality (no icons, contex menus, etc).

Please, do mention, how the problem can be fixed by the shell, if it is no problem to you.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cool_amigaN

First thing you can do is

boot in without startup-sequence again
open a shell
cd into envarc:sys/
find a file called "wbstartup.prefs"
rename it to "wbstartup.prefs_problem"

reboot

You won't find any problems by browsing through your startup-sequence, neither the OS4 one nor the OS3 one, because the problems you get are nested inside both installations (OS4 needs file OS3 doesn't have and vice versa).

If you get to your normal OS4 WB (hope you didn't break something in the meantime by doing all those edits while trying to make it work) rename the file back and start WBStartup, delete DiskImageGUI from the list, SAVE and try booting again

Edited by Raziel on 2010/10/13 10:31:00
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

Thank you! I will give it a try today afternoon, after work.

Edited by Cool_amigaN on 2010/10/13 10:36:03
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cool_amigaN
OK, I understand the problem you are having now, so maybe we can fix it!

What you have done is told RunInUAE's installer that your OS4 system partition was your OS3.x Workbench partition. RunInUAE's installer then dutifully modified your OS4 partition, thus causing the problems you see. EDIT: I will improve the installer to stop users being able to do this.

I will get back to you on exactly what changes are made, and how you can undo them enough to get OS4 to boot.

Please do not follow Raziel's suggestion because it will not help.

Edited by ChrisH on 2010/10/13 11:49:09
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cool_amigaN Quote:
Btw, I deleted from s: a script that was called "runinuae-basic workbench", or something and now I don't get the message "Hint: Basic Workbench mode is enabled!". I also deleted a script called "runinuae".

I also deleted diskimage from Devs, Runinuae from my installation folder (work:Runinuae).

PLEASE STOP DELETING FILES AT RANDOM, because you risk deleting something important! Instead rename them, from say X to X_BAD (or similar). (You can delete them later once your system is working correctly.)

Right, here is how you can get OS4 to boot again:
Boot OS4 without any startup-sequence, which should give you a Shell. Now type these commands:

Quote:
CD S
Rename StartUp-Sequence StartUp-Sequence_BAD
Rename StartUp-Sequence_DisabledForBasicMode StartUp-Sequence
CD /
CD C
Rename uae_rcli uae_rcli_BAD

Then wait a few seconds for disk activity to finish. Then reboot. You should now get into your Workbench! You may get an error message (or you may not), but otherwise it should be OK (unless I overlooked anything). If it is basically OK, then I can tell you how to finish undoing the changes that were made.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

I am absolutely sure that I choose AmigaSYS3 HDF as my OS3.x partition.

Perhaps the problem was/is caused because both Partitions (OS4.x and OS3.x) have the exact same name (System)?

Can anybody confirm this?

* Note that, after initial mount of the HDF, and without having run runiuae yet, Amidock was behaving inappropriate after first reboot where diskimage mounted automatically the AmigaSYS3 HDF System Partition. *

Moreover, I have deleted StartUp-Sequence_DisabledForBasicMode and uae_rcli because I thought they were added by Runinuae.

Is it possible to copy any of the above from the AOS CD?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cool_amigaN Quote:
Perhaps the problem was/is caused because both Partitions (OS4.x and OS3.x) have the exact same name (System)?

Yes, that would cause the problem too . OS4's "System:" would take priority of your newly mounted OS3 "System:".

Quote:
Moreover, I have deleted StartUp-Sequence_DisabledForBasicMode and uae_rcli because I thought they were added by Runinuae.

Is it possible to copy any of the above from the AOS CD?

It should be possible, but if you use SFS for the OS4 partition, then you should be able to undelete it using this command:
Quote:
Move SYS:.recycled/StartUp-Sequence_DisabledForBasicMode SYS:S

If that works, then you can follow my previous instructions.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

OK, I will check it. My OS4.x System partition is SFS/00, perhaps the command will do the trick.

Btw, my initial goal was and still is to make a previously working on the pc, AmigaSYS3 HDF (or 4 afterwards), work out-of-the-box under runinuae as well.
Has anyone achieve it?
I believe that theoretically it should work since I have the valid OS3.x environment working under winUAE.
However, the initial attempt was a failure.
I also tried to rename the mounted HDF from System to OS3.x but the partition couldn't be renamed and remained System for an unknown reason to me.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
OK, it worked!!! I am replying via OWB. Thanks a lot!

Three notes:

1) When I booted, an ASL appeared requesting to mount some units (the ones used by diskimage). I choose cancel and now I am back in my OS4.x WB.

2) I cannot find anymore uae-rcli even in my trashcan. From where I should copy it? (also, what does it do, I though it is for uae something only?)

3) Diskimage is still in my DH0:System drawer but it is NOT in wbstartup, wtf?!

Now, what I should do?

Btw, from first thought I see that only AISS is disabled in Basic Mode. Everything else works! That is a cool way to by pass the system normal boot procedure, didn't knew that! Is there a hotkey for Basic Mode ON, something like "safe mode" in Windows? It would be awesome, if that could be implemented in next AOS editions, imho, for noobs like me :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cool_amigaN Quote:
1) When I booted, an ASL appeared requesting to mount some units (the ones used by diskimage). I choose cancel and now I am back in my OS4.x WB.
3) Diskimage is still in my DH0:System drawer but it is NOT in wbstartup, wtf?!

I suggest re-installing DiskImage (from OS4Depot). Then after that add Sys:System/DiskImageGUI to the WbStartup if it is missing.

Quote:
2) I cannot find anymore uae-rcli even in my trashcan. From where I should copy it? (also, what does it do, I though it is for uae something only?)

uae_rcli is supposed to be used *inside* E-UAE, and might crash OS4 if you use it directly!

In fact, there will be some other junk left-over from the incorrect installation. I suggest that you delete these files ASAP:
Sys:Libs/ParM.library
Sys:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/WbConfig.prefs (might cause strange behaviour of Workbench if left!)
Sys:S/WHDLoad.prefs

Sys:C/WHDLoad
Sys:C/JST
(note that these last two files will be replaced by a new RunInUAE installation, so don't delete them if you've already reinstalled it!)

Quote:
Btw, my initial goal was and still is to make a previously working on the pc, AmigaSYS3 HDF (or 4 afterwards), work out-of-the-box under runinuae as well.

I don't think it's likely to work well (slow booting & possibly no virtual graphics card), although we can try (I can give some advice)...

...But for the moment I suggest reinstalling RunInUAE, using an AmigaForever CD (if you have one) or (if not then) giving it a fake drawer where you may install the WB files eventually.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Glad you solved it

Using RunInUAE on a daily basis now here, cool

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

ΟΚ, thanks! I will follow your instructions as soon as I get back home from work.

I will give another chance for AmigaSYS3 to make it work. My first thought that I could just drag the HDF to RuninUAE and boot it.

As soon as I have that ready, I will start tweaking e-uae configs in order to improve performance.

What are your thoughts about it?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cool_amigaN Quote:
My first thought that I could just drag the HDF to RuninUAE and boot it.

No. You can play HDF games, by mounting them using DiskImage (see RunInUAE docs for more details). But to boot Workbench from an HDF, you will need to add the following lines to your .uaerc_RunInUAE file:
Quote:
hardfile2=rw,dh0:YOURFILE.hdf,0,0,0,512,2,
gfxcard_size=8
z3mem_size=64

Unfortunately, the version of E-UAE supplied with RunInUAE does not support virtual graphics cards. So you need to rename UAE, and replace it with an SDL version of UAE, such as this.

It probably still won't work well, but that's about as far as I've got so far.

Quote:
I will start tweaking e-uae configs in order to improve performance.

RunInUAE already comes with fairly optimised settings, so there's not much you can improve! I have been given an SDL version of E-UAE which seems faster, so perhaps you could try that...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

OK then. I will try your tricks and hope for the best, In the meantime I face a new small problem. I downloaded and installed diskimage. After a reboot I tried to run diskimagegui but I got a request to insert volume "tbimage:" (AmigaDOS Process request). I chose cancel but doesn't work. It keeps requesting the same thing. I soft rebooted and I thought that perhaps it has somethng to do wth AISS because now OWB shows me only the buttons (back, forth, reload, bookand as words not the images anymore). So, I downloaded AISS latest pack, tried to install it and again I got the same AmigaDOS request. Any idea ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cool_amigaN
Yes, tbimage: is for AISS, so it seems AISS is broken. Check you have these lines in your S:User-Startup :
Quote:
;AISS
assign tbimages: SYS:Prefs/Presets/tbimages
;END AISS

But these should be added automatically, if you use the correct AISS installer. Did you try installing one of these:
http://www.masonicons.info/6.html

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »