Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Micro A1 and random freezes under 4.1.1 and 4.1.2. Is there any FINAL and proper solution?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I know this has been discussed before and in various amiga forums but it seems that nobody has come up yet with a proper and final solution. I'm talking about the OS 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 problems with the Micro A1's USB ports. It is known that after the 4.1.1 update almost every micro A1 owner has complained about random OS freezes while using the USB ports (front/rear). I have read various opinions /solutions but i haven't been able to fully use my Micro A1 without any freeze. Should i learn to live with it and stop bothering? Are there any tricks to help me solve this problem or should i / we wait for Hyperion to release a proper update?

Go to top
Re: Micro A1 and random freezes under 4.1.1 and 4.1.2. Is there any FINAL and proper solution?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@portarinos
I had extreme freeze problems on my ?A1 and less serious freeze problems on my SAM Flex. My SAM is almost freeze-free with OS4.1update2 and some disabled KickStart modules. I found that disabling unused IDE modules, unused Graphics Card modules and petunia.library have left me with the most stable SAM Flex ever.

I have disabled the same modules on my ?A1 and switched to using the PS2 inputs for keyboard and mouse. It is about as stable and freeze-free as my SAM Flex. During the transition from PS2 to USB a lot of keboards and mice came with USB/PS2 adapters which work for me. Nowadays you may have to obtain those adapters seperately. I have noticed that the mouse movement is different when a USB mouse is used with a PS2 adapter and may require different settings in the Input prefs.

Since the makers of the A1 series of computers are no longer around, I doubt that we will see many (if any) updates for those systems. Do yourself a favor and just switch back to PS2 input for your mouse and keyboard. You may find that disabling unused Kickstart modules and petunia.library will eliminate even more freezes. My MUI based 68k applications have stopped freezing and that I can "continue" them if a Grim Reaper shows up.

Go to top
Re: Micro A1 and random freezes under 4.1.1 and 4.1.2. Is there any FINAL and proper solution?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic Quote:
You may find that disabling unused Kickstart modules and petunia.library

DON'T disable Petunia, because OS4 won't boot then you'll have to use the boot CD to get into it & undo the change.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@portarinos

I am running AmigaOS 4.1 Update 2 with very rare freezes.
PS2 keyboard
USB/PS2 compatible Logitech Optical mouse with PS2 adaptor
Rear USB interfaces disabled
Kingston USB DataTraveler USB stick
Lexar JumpDrive USB stick formatted for FFS Long filenames (DOS\07)
Compositing disabled
OS4.0 look with square corners on all windows
Petunia JIT disabled for Final Writer 97

After intermittant issues with a flakey hard drive ...
Onboard IDE interfaces on auto-discovery mode (and best PIO by default)

Ctrl alt alt is my friend.

I haven't tried disabling petunia.library entirely yet. That sounds quite interesting ...

---
redfox

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I know that a kind of solution is using PS/2 keyboard and mouse but as i use a single USB set for both the A1 and my G4 I-Mac i wouldn't like to see my work desk getting crammed with unnecessary devices so this is not an option for me at least. I suppose that as long as OS 4.1 used to run without a single freeze on the μA1 (at least according to my experience) it shouldn't be a hardware problem but a software one. Anyway, i have already disabled some modules plus the front USB ports and it seems better now. Not that i don't have random freezes but it's more usable . Btw, could someone refer to the Kick Modules that he has disabled in order for me to make a comparison? Maybe there is something that i'm missing. I think that the modules are these but are they the only ones?

FastFileSytem (only if someone has any partition with this filesystem)
Voodoo
it8212ide
lsi53c8xx
sii068ide
sii3112ide
sii3114ide
sii3512ide

Is there anything else?

Go to top

Register To Post