Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
150 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 149

afxgroup, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Samba and Printers
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
How do i set up a printer (Parallel/USB on the AOne) to be visible in the network (Samba), so i can use it from the PC?

I can already access a USB stick on my router as drive and ping both from the PC.
I also have SWAT running and can access it with OWB, but i can't seem to add a working printer.

A step-by-step guide would be nice

Anyone? Mikey?

Thanks in advance

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Re: Samba and Printers
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Raziel

There isn't anything regarding printers for the Amiga. Total Amiga Magazine covered a tutorial once on how to get printing via samba on a Printer attached to a PC (IIRC) You will have to look through the Total Amiga back issues, they are available on PDF somewhere.

Good luck.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

Raziel wrote:
How do i set up a printer (Parallel/USB on the AOne) to be visible in the network (Samba), so i can use it from the PC?

This was possible with LPx (comm/misc I think) I'm not sure if it works under 4.0 as it uses ARexx, and I haven't tried it.

Quote:
A step-by-step guide would be nice

Included in the guide as I recall. I do seem to remember it had trouble printing multiple copies though.

Regards
Darren

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Daz

Great call, exactly what i was looking for

Thanks a lot

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all

OK, got a few steps further

Printer is now seen and accessable on the network from the PC

...but

Printing doesn not work with the LPR script as this script only constructs a log file in T: and simply "Copy" the spool file (created from the PC in samba:spools) to the printer (formerly it was PAR:, changed it to PRT: - maybe that is the culprit?)

Unfortunately that files consists of (paste below is a simply text file from OO with three lines of text in differing sizes and fonts)

Quote:

%-12345X@PJL COMMENT HP LaserJet 5L
@PJL SET PAGEPROTECT=ON
@PJL SET RET=ON
@PJL SET ECONOMODE=ON
@PJL SET RESOLUTION=600
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=PCL
E*t600R&u600D*r0F&l0O&l1H&l26a8c1E*p0x0Y*c0t5611x8177Y&l1X*b0M*c16534D)s68WD???U ??? Cache 16534XX(16534X&d@*c32E(s5276W???????...

following lots of signs which should be ESC commands and the data i presume.

One can imagine that this sent to the printer via "Copy" only produces garbage and so it is...

Do i need a special command to work with this data?
XP installed its driver and so far everything is working from the PC side, it's the Amiga side that chokes

Of course i will see and search for myself, but any suggestions are very welcome

Thanks

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

Raziel wrote:
@all

...but

Printing doesn not work with the LPR script as this script only constructs a log file in T: and simply "Copy" the spool file (created from the PC in samba:spools) to the printer (formerly it was PAR:, changed it to PRT: - maybe that is the culprit?)

Yes, the PC printer driver generates the output, all the script does is send it to the printer. Using PAR: sends raw data directly to the printer(*), PRT: will feed data through the Amigas printer driver. With this script it should be possible for your PC to print to a printer you don't have an Amiga printer driver for!

(*) if your printer is attached to the Parallel port, I expected to find a similar port for the USB, but can't seem to.

Quote:

Unfortunately that files consists of (paste below is a simply text file from OO with three lines of text in differing sizes and fonts)

Quote:

@PJL SET PAGEPROTECT=ON
@PJL SET RET=ON
@PJL SET ECONOMODE=ON
@PJL SET RESOLUTION=600
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=PCL
E*t600R&u600D*r0F&l0O&l1H&l26a8c1E*p0x0Y*c0t5611x8177Y&l1X*b0M*c16534D)s68WD???U ??? Cache 16534XX(16534X&d@*c32E(s5276W???????...

Not being an expert.. that looks like PCL - should print if sent directly to the printer.

Regards
Darren

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Daz

Quote:

Daz wrote:
@Raziel

Quote:

Raziel wrote:
@all

...but

Yes, the PC printer driver generates the output, all the script does is send it to the printer. Using PAR: sends raw data directly to the printer(*), PRT: will feed data through the Amigas printer driver. With this script it should be possible for your PC to print to a printer you don't have an Amiga printer driver for!

(*) if your printer is attached to the Parallel port, I expected to find a similar port for the USB, but can't seem to.
[/quote]

Yah, the problem is i have the printer connected to the Amiga and want the PC to send it jobs, not vice-versa

Hmm, you say that when i send this data through PAR: it should be understood by a PCL capable printer as it is done RAW?
Need to check that...

The printer was on the partallel port, i changed it to USB to be able to use it on the upcoming X1000 which iirc doesn't have a serial or parallel port anymore

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

@PJL SET PAGEPROTECT=ON
@PJL SET RET=ON
@PJL SET ECONOMODE=ON
@PJL SET RESOLUTION=600
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=PCL

Not being an expert.. that looks like PCL - should print if sent directly to the printer.

You are right, it's Printer Command Language (PCL) or Printer Job Language (PJL)
It does not print though

It seems the PRT: device is not the way to go...

Still some fiddling to do then...

Thank you

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

What if you got yourself one of those network adaptors that plugs into the back of the printer? Those that I have (don't use anymore) convert parallel Centronics to Ethernet, but I'm sure there are others that you could use to convert from your 5L ports to Ethernet.

Then you could leave the printer connected to the LAN and have all PCs and Amigas able to access it from anywhere, without depending on one machine being turned on.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

Hmm, i didn't know those exist...i thought i had to go with a Network printer all the way...humm, must look

Is your adapter a WLAN one?, then i'd take it from you

Thanks for the hint, would also spare me an USB port, if it worked

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top

Register To Post