Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Stretched display when adding screenmode for UAE
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
As part of my experiements with RuninUAE on my SAM, I add the 320x256 screenmode to your Monitor tooltype. However, when I reboot my SAM the Workbench display (the icons, text etc) becomes ever so slightly "stretched" in appearence and it looks odd as a result.

The only way to avoid this is to remove the entry for 320x256 again and reboot when it returns to normal.

My standard resolution is 1440 x 900.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening and how to avoid it?

Sold up all my Amiga gear, not only an Amigan via Amiga Forever!
Go to top
Re: Stretched display when adding screenmode for UAE
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tommo1975
Most likely you are adding the 320x256 screen mode at the TOP of the tooltypes, rather that at the bottom like my manual says. (Although I am sure it is easy to overlook such a seemingly minor detail.)

In that case the Screenmode ID for 1440 x 900 resolution is increased by one, with the effect that the Screenmode ID used by Workbench is now for a lower screen mode (e.g. 1280x1024), thus causing Workbench to be stretched by your monitor.

Best fix: Move 320x256 (and 320x240) to the BOTTOM of your tooltypes.

Less good fix: Use Sys:Prefs/ScreenMode to switch back to 1440 x 900. You will also need to do the same for any screens defined in Sys:Prefs/Screens, as well as for any programs which store their own screenmode settings.

Edited by ChrisH on 2009/12/31 9:15:37
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tommo1975
If this solved your problem or not, then I'd appreciate knowing, so I know whether to stop checking this thread or not...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Btw, out of main topic, but about e-uae+screens: did you manage to setup any mode exept 320x256 which looks good (i mean centered well, etc). Because for example when i set 640x480, or 640x512 (have that in tooltypes, etc), i have only half of screen as working area.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e Quote:
for example when i set 640x480, or 640x512 (have that in tooltypes, etc), i have only half of screen as working area.

That is most likely because of "gfx_lores=true". It is a "hack" to allow you to see high-res screens at the same width as low-res screens.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Check please that screenshot. You can see that is looks bad. Like some kind of "double-scanning" on the old TVs. That produced by that config:

amiga.use_dither=false
gfx_framerate=1
gfx_fullscreen_amiga=false
gfx_correct_aspect=yes
gfx_width_windowed=640
gfx_height_windowed=512
gfx_lores=false
gfx_linemode=none
gfx_center_horizontal=smart
gfx_center_vertical=smart

If i set gfx_correcT_aspect to "no" , then it looks fine by picture, but working area are half of screen..

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
This problem is now solved. The problem was caused by the addition of the screenmode at the top of the file, rather than at the bottom.

I solved the issue by changing my screenmode back to the original one and saving the prefs. It does seem a bit silly that adding a screenmode would change my settings in this way, but I live and learn.

Thanks for your help!

Sold up all my Amiga gear, not only an Amigan via Amiga Forever!
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tommo1975

Absolutly agree with you, that all a bit silly. But as far as i know, all that strange crap are fixed in the aos4.1, and you do not need to boring about tooltypes problems anymore ,etc. (but i can be wrong, but that what i read somethere before related to the upcoming update).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

Check please that screenshot. You can see that is looks bad. Like some kind of "double-scanning" on the old TVs. That produced by that config:

To fix this change the gfx_linemode to "double".

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salass00

Yep, thanks, it helps. Btw, check that screenshot. Game called Ruff&Thumble. And it's always have that big black empty area at top (in UAE i mean, with real amiga and winuae all is ok). Maybe e-uae have any option, to make all the screens be as 'auto-centered' ?

Or for example game called "Stardust". There is a screenshot of menu. Game itself and intro are ok, but the menu screen have also problem with that "black" area (at the right side there).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e
None of those picture links works for me, but I sugget playing with these etting:
Quote:
gfx_center_horizontal=smart
gfx_center_vertical=smart

Go to top

Register To Post