Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

sam440ep Flex 600Mhz performance question
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello,

I am wandering to know about the 440ep PowerPC CPU performance relative to others PPC CPU.

It have more power or less power than a G3 for example ?

What is the equivalent CPU for I get idea of the sam440 CPU performance.

Thank you in advance.

BR,

Ice

Ice2642
www.gsv8.com
Go to top
Re: sam440ep Flex 600Mhz performance question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ice2642

Comparison of PPC processors is a really open (and hard) discussion ... To be short, the pure CPU power will be lower than a G3 but if you compare a G3 AmigaOne with a Sam, other parts of the board give at the end the same global feeling of power. Faster memory, SATA, ... the CPU does not do all in a computer.

That's hard to compare CPUs, even with benchmarks. They all have differences that will make them better in some cases. You can find the result of nbench between several PPC boards but nbench is old and not well designed for modern CPUs. It just gives an overview ... and even strange results sometimes.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@corto

Hello corto,

thank you for reply.

Yes, all pices of a computer make a diference.

It is just a curiosity about the CPU performance.

I will get a look in the link that you post.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Ice

Ice2642
www.gsv8.com
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ice2642

I have a non-Flex 600MHz board, and a 800MHz AmigaOne. Whilst the SAM was noticeably slower to start with, after I'd sorted my configuration out it doesn't seem any difference in everyday use.

There are times when the speed of the SAM's CPU really shows though, for example when compiling, or simply launching dynamically-linked executables.

If you've not used a faster one then I doubt you'll even realise unless you're doing really processor-intensive tasks.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Hi Chris,

Tkz for informations. it is what I am looking for.

BR,

ICe

Ice2642
www.gsv8.com
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ice2642
Amiga Future magazine have done speed tests, and found that a 667MHz Sam had about the same performance as a 600MHz microAmigaOne (G3 of course).

Regarding speed comparisons, remember than until the OS4.1 Quickfix from Hyperion, OS4.1 on Sam440 was always using the (slower) debug kernel. Thus direct comparisons with any hardware were not a good idea.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Anonymous
@ChrisH

Quote:

Regarding speed comparisons, remember than until the OS4.1 Quickfix from Hyperion, OS4.1 on Sam440 was always using the (slower) debug kernel. Thus direct comparisons with any hardware were not a good idea.

.................. oh .... my ....

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I should have said the same **CPU** performance. The SATA HD, graphics & memory performance is of course MUCH MUCH faster, and in general usage more than compensates for the alledgedly slow CPU.

Edited by ChrisH on 2009/6/26 20:11:54
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

I understand what you want talk about.

The CPU is not so power, but the all system use best the CPU and controlers, and all componentes and make a good performance.

It can be.

just for example.

Just remember the amiga classic A500 vrs a DX486, the 486 CPU is much more power than a motorola 68000, but the amiga 500 is more fast to day to day use and much other tasks than a 486.

Best regards,

Ice

Ice2642
www.gsv8.com
Go to top

Register To Post