Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

A1200 keyboard "half working"
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I've finally got my hands on my old A1200 and after some inital testing to ensure the old girl still booted up OK (I didn't test the keyboard) I opened her up to fit new 3.1 ROMS and a new keyboard (as the old ones were yellowing).

The upgrade all seemed to go well, obviously the ROMS were troublesome, but they went in OK in the end and the keyboard was a doddle.

Now however only half the keys on the keyboard work. At first I thought this was the new keyboard so I put the old one back in and it's the same. Random keys work such as R, T, P and the spacebar, but not others such as O or Q or W.

Could it be the new ROMS? I thought that if the ROMS were faulty or the pins bent or something then the machine would not work at all or the symptoms would be a little more drastic than this!

I'm going to open up the machine again later and reseat the ROMS to see if that makes a difference, but thought I'd get the input of others incase there may be another cause.

Sold up all my Amiga gear, not only an Amigan via Amiga Forever!
Go to top
Re: A1200 keyboard "half working"
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tommo1975

Is that short cable between a keyboard and a motherboard connected properly ?

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tommo1975

I'm going to open up the machine again later and reseat the ROMS to see if that makes a difference, but thought I'd get the input of others incase there may be another cause.
It's sounds like bad or loose CIA chip. I had this once on my A2000. CIAs usually handle keyboard hardware input.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
After taking the A1200 apart and reseating the keyboard and the ROMS again the keyboard is now working properly. I think it the short green keyboard cable wasn't properly seated.

Sold up all my Amiga gear, not only an Amigan via Amiga Forever!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tommo1975

Yeah, that'll do it. Had an escape key that never worked due to a (slightly) damaged green cable. (switched to a pc-key 1200 at adapter)

Resized Image
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tommo1975

Sounds like the ribbon cable for the keyboard isn't inserted fully or plastic holder that allows it to keep contact with the mobo is not pushed down properly. The clip might have a broken end on one side, this happens sometimes when pulling up the clip to get the ribbon out. It also could be that the conductive surface on the end of the ribbon has worn off and hence certain keys won't work if its worn off.

Edit

should have read whole thread first, glad you have got it working again.

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top

Register To Post