Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

balaton, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Losing internet connection
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
My internet connection drops out from time to time on my sam. I contacted the operator but they said the problem was my machine since they couldn't find anything on their side. He wanted me to test a peecee to see if that worked better. Is the roadshow not good or are there known problems. I'm not using a router. But the same happens when i use the ps3,keeps getting dns problems. Anyone has experinece on this thing?

[Corrected spelling in title - Chris]

X5000
Go to top
Re: Losing internet connection
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Antique

I had problems only with PSN on ps3. Losing connection so i have to sign in from time to time. But that could be a playstation network thing. Im using router.

EDIT: SabreMSN is losing connection sometimes. But that could be a MSN thing ;)

Edited by Chris on 2009/2/22 1:08:11
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique

Any details on the conection type?
Is it dsl?
If yes: how do you connect? Any software using for dialing? Or modem's web interface?
One can usually detour the need for dsl software on the machine by using the modem's internal dialing software.
In that case you can monitor the line statistics via modem's interface.
Statistics can indicate on dsl line opearating outside tolerable margins.
If margins are ok and you're losing the connection with modem itself, then we'll tackle the lan side of the modem.
Please supply some details.
(I had some experience with adsl line provider which supported linux only and know how to approach the support to get the service in case the problem's source is not in the machine itself).

Jack

Edited by Chris on 2009/2/22 1:08:32
Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique

Got another adapter from another part of the house that you could swap over? also make sure anything anywhere in the house that is connected to the telephone line has an adapter (filter).

I've never had any sign of any problem with any downloading with my SAM and I download alot, trust me, I'm already over 120gigs for this month... I pay $2 a gig here so consider yourself lucky in that regard at least lol

I'd be more inclined to blame your modem or router or cabling before blaming the SAM or its software

I updated my DSL504g last night with the latest firmware etc and it's totally rooted it. Now I'm back to using the DSL304g that still works great. This week I will get another router just for the hell of it, can anyone consider a great brand in this day and age?

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Slayer

Quote:

can anyone consider a great brand in this day and age?

I use wireless-less router and modem suplied by adsl line provider.
Tried the dsl modem+router combos the provider suggested with no luck (siemens that appeared to be a rebranded rotal
and asus, both weren't up to the job with 3 computers and printer connected, one had lan problems, other had bad qos routines, was flooded easily when uploading at full bandwidth).

The router I use is LevelOne. I intsalled similar one with wireless at my mother's hourse, works well so far.
Let the router do the routering and modem do the modeming

Edited by Jack on 2009/2/22 19:07:55
Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

If you are on ADSL how old is your modem? I was having similar problems with my connection a short while ago, I was using an old ADSL modem/router. I have since got a new Netgear ADSL2+ modem/router and the problem has gone it stays on line all the time now.
I was talking to a friend about it and he suggested that the old modem was talking in an out of date protacol and although it worked it would stop if not used and take an age to start again because the isp's server did not understand its requests.

If your modems sofware is upgradable has it got the latest firmware of if its just too out of date it may be worth investing in a new one.

A1XE G4 800Mhz, 512Mb, Sil0680, ATI9200se 128Mb, Sounblaster Live & Catweazle Mk3 with SID chip +OS4.1.
A4000 233MhzPPC/04025Mhz, 112Mb, CyberPPC, OS3.9
Other Amiga's A4000, A2000 A500+, A500 & various hardware. 15+ other retro machines.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Arnie

I'm using a adsl modem. Had it for 2 years this summer. Should i get a router too?

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

If you wish to connect both you Amiga and PS3 to the net at the same time then a router is advisable but this is not you immidiate problem.

What ADSL protacol does you provider use, if it is ADSL2+ and you have only ADSL then you have the same problem as I did. If your moden can not be upgraded by firmware then get a new modem/router, you can't go far wrong with Netgear or Linksys(Cisco) they are both easy to set up and use.

I have my A1 a PC with linux an windows plus all three current consoles connected now with no issues.

A1XE G4 800Mhz, 512Mb, Sil0680, ATI9200se 128Mb, Sounblaster Live & Catweazle Mk3 with SID chip +OS4.1.
A4000 233MhzPPC/04025Mhz, 112Mb, CyberPPC, OS3.9
Other Amiga's A4000, A2000 A500+, A500 & various hardware. 15+ other retro machines.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
This is what comes up in a window when i lose the connection.

Sun Feb 22 18:02:56 2009 [info ]: Lease for interface "PPC440EP_ETH" has expired; restarting the DHCP process.

???

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique

Quote:

Sun Feb 22 18:02:56 2009 [info ]: Lease for interface "PPC440EP_ETH" has expired; restarting the DHCP process.

The modem (by deafault) should allow renewal. You can also define the dhcp server of the modem to leave some IPs outside leases range and set your Sam to use one IP from that range.
If disconnection persist, then the above message probab;y has nothing to do with them.
You can also check logs in modem's interface to see if it actually disconnects from the ISP.
Might require you to set up the modem to use log.

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Thanks for the information Jack

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jack

Think i found why the net was not working very well. I ordered a new modem,it has 4 cable connections and a wireless. When i replaced the old one with the new one and with new cables i haven't had this message yet. So seems to me like the modem was faulty or something. Now i'm just waiting for my 14mbit connection to be ready.

X5000
Go to top

Register To Post