Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

jabirulo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Ram limit on Sam440ep
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Why is the Sam440ep limited to 512mb ram? and will the Sam-flex have the same limitation?

If I understood correctly, tabs are coming to OWB soon.. and I'd hate to have to rely on hard drive paging for having 10 tabs open.

Go to top
Re: Ram limit on Sam440ep
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jahc

It would be a shame if it is limited to 512MB. My understanding is that the CPU can address 1GB. So if it's a 512MB limitation that is because of ACube's decision, or do you think there are other technical reasons?

I would gladly pay the extra price to get the additional 512MB of ram.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@HammerD

Wait, if i have understood the limit is software and not hardware.. with future versions of u-boot it should be more than 512 Mb..

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nubechecorre

Weird. UBoot on the AmigaONE's have no trouble with more than 512MB...

Anyone from ACube care to comment on the ram limitation? Hopefully on the flex you can offer more ram?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@HammerD

if i remember well. there was the same kind of limitation also on the micro..

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nubechecorre

I have a Micro...I only have 256MB ram, but I know you can put up to 1GB in it (or maybe even 2GB). But you need to get the correct type of memory.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@jahc

As far i know SAM supporto only 512MB, it is an hardware limit. I think, but i don't know for sure and i don't speak for ACube, that SAM flex support 1GB.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ikir

But the first board with onboard 512mb could have 1gig in total when adding 512mb to the socket..

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
IIRC, PPC440 memory space is divided in two 512M areas, so, most likely, on SAM, the first 512M is used for RAM but the other is needed for the huge amount of I/O & industry features of the board.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@KimmoK

If that is the case, they should get rid of the "industrial" features that end users of OS 4 will never use....free up the memory space and allow 1GB ram. And maybe that could lower the cost of the board, too.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@HammerD

There were a reply by m3x in a thread on AW.net that the socket had been removed because of cost reason.

Bye,
TMTisFree

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TMTisFree

If that is true, they should give the user the option. I bet many people would go for it to get the extra ram.

Go to top

Register To Post