Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
159 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

kas1e, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

firewall ?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
anyone know of any firewall software for OS4 ?

or am I better off getting a hardware one ?

Avatar: Avro Vulcan - XH558 needs YOU !!
Go to top
Re: firewall ?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@agafaster

There's one included with OS4... ipf? Good luck with that.

But a hardware firewall is better, not to mention easier to configure.

Chris

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@agafaster

IPF(ilter)

...but i think it's rather difficult to get working, get a
router with firewall.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel, Chris;

Thanks chaps ! I just bought a book 'Networking for dummies' - might have a glance at that. course, it'll give me a headache, then I'll get the router !!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@agafaster

Router's/modem's builtin firewall is easier to set up, but software one should be more flexible + the ability to change the settings-on-the-fly.
In case of router f/w any change of port forwarding requires to redial the adsl line.
But once you set the router up, there's a good chance you won't need to touch it. At least here it is so (I have 3 machines on the router, two linux boxes have ssh daemons listenening on port 22 and 23, one allows incoming X11, nothing is forwarded to A1. Everything else is closed)
If there'll arise a need to change the settings without hanging up, I'll have to get grips on the software one:

sys:Documentation/IP-Filter/ (I think OS install puts it there)

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

Interesting...what was the middle bit ?

I take it that basically applies for Cable as well (I'm not on ADSL) except for re-dialling, as Cable is just a basic Ethernet connection as far as Roadshow is concerned.

Is there anything I can read online about configuring this, or do I have to wait til I'm back on a proper computer (currently at work on my ex-pee box!)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@agafaster

Cable box lan side is ethernet (probably with dhcp).
In case of setup without modem the way to set "non-software" firewall is inside the box.
The box itself usually has a web inteface accessible from lan side.
I guess pointing your web browser to the IP address of the gateway is the way to access the interface (http://whatever_the_numbers_are).
The tricky bit is to find the admin authentication data
(start with combinations for username/password like:
Admin/Admin
admin/admin
root/admin
ect.

Or google for the manuals of the specific model (if they are not on some CD you got with the hardware).
Or google for forums.
Usually there's a limited number of setups that can appear on different devices (they don't reinvent the wheel and several different devices can have same interface)

Once you're in, lookfor firewall, forwarding rules or similar.
There's also should be a reset to defaults button somewhere if you screw things.

Jack

Edit: typos.

Edited by Jack on 2008/1/21 20:25:16
Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Jack wrote:
@agafaster

Cable box lan side is ethernet (probably with dhcp).
In case of setup without modem the way to set "non-software" firewall is inside the box.
The box itself usually has a web inteface accessible from lan side.
I guess pointing your web browser to the IP address of the gateway is the way to access the interface (http://whatever_the_numbers_are).
The tricky bit is to find the admin wuthentication data
(start with combinations for username/password like:
Admin/Admin
admin/admin
root/admin
ect.

Or google for the manuals of the specific model (if they are not on some CD you got with the hardware).
Or google for forums.
Usually there's a limited number of setups that can appear on different devices (they don't reinvent the wheel and several different devices can have same interface)

Once you're in, lookfor firewall, forwarding rooles or similar.
There's also should be a reset to defaults button somewhere if you screw things.

Jack

its just a bog standard cheapo box from Scientific Atlanta, with a bunch of status LEDs on the front, and 4 ports on the back - no reset switch AFAICT... but then its 6 miles awy, and I could be mistaken !

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Router's/modem's builtin firewall is easier to set up, but software one should be more flexible + the ability to change the settings-on-the-fly.
In case of router f/w any change of port forwarding requires to redial the adsl line.

with my Nergear DG384GT no need to redial the adsl line,
I can change firewall settings and when I hit the apply
button changes are effective.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@pvanni

Quote:

pvanni wrote:
@Jack

Quote:

with my Nergear DG384GT no need to redial the adsl line,
I can change firewall settings and when I hit the apply
button changes are effective.

Mine is LevelOne (yup interesting name). Pretty old (3 years imho).
Besides this issue it just works.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@agafaster

That the cable modem?

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/Prod ... umers/new_cablemodems.htm

Blimey, those things look like they haven't been redesigned since the early 80s!

Anyway, that won't have a firewall on it, you'll need a router as well, then do what Jack suggests.

On mine (a Linksys wrt54gc - yes, it's a cable one) it has a few firewall settings, and options to restrict access to sites/services and forward ports to machines internal to the LAN. The port forwarding thingy is the only bit I ever need to touch (for networked games of Freespace or whatever)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

a few firewall settings, and options to restrict access to sites/services and forward ports to machines internal to the LAN. The port forwarding thingy is the only bit I ever need to touch (for networked games of Freespace or whatever)

I suppose it has it's own forwarding rules sets (at least here the modem has).
And an option to redirect explicit traffic to appropriate machines. I don't see a point to get a router while (according to agafater) there are 4 ports there, means it has router capabilities.
The big question is how well will it cope if one bangs a really big forwarding scheme.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

I don't see a point to get a router while (according to agafater) there are 4 ports there, means it has router capabilities.

I missed that, probably ok then.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

it certainly looks a lot like that one.

Quote:

Blimey, those things look like they haven't been redesigned since the early 80s!

yup, thats what I thought !
either that, or its someones' A-level Electronics project...

Quote:

Anyway, that won't have a firewall on it, you'll need a router as well, then do what Jack suggests.

On mine (a Linksys wrt54gc - yes, it's a cable one) it has a few firewall settings, and options to restrict access to sites/services and forward ports to machines internal to the LAN. The port forwarding thingy is the only bit I ever need to touch (for networked games of Freespace or whatever)

I probably will - I was just wondering if it was worth saving some wedge by using a software one, and the A1 as a hub.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@agafaster

Looks like you have the "WEBStar dpc2100" model (the one in the link provided by Chris). The ports are: power/RJ45/USB/cable in.
Accroding to the manuals, it's possible to wire 2 devices to it. Use RJ45 with A1.
I tried to google for web interface info and found this here:

Quote:

It's a WebStar DPC2100.
I just discovered that you can indeed connect to it via Web Interface, through 192.168.100.1

Good luck
Jack

Edited by Jack on 2008/1/23 19:35:31
Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Jack wrote:
@agafaster

Looks like you have the "WEBStar dpc2100" model (the one in the link provided by Chris). The ports are: power/RJ45/USB/cable in.
Accroding to the manuals, it's possible to wire 2 devices to it. Use RJ45 with A1.
I tried to google for web interface info and found this here:

Quote:

It's a WebStar DPC2100.
I just discovered that you can indeed connect to it via Web Interface, through 192.168.100.1

Good luck
Jack

cool ! sounds about right - didnt see any manuals - unless theyre on the disk from Virgin Media (didnt look to be honest-no reason to yet!)

I'll give that IP a go this weekend. 1st task is to see if I can get me works laptop to VPN through the A1/OS4 and the cable, to the Work network.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@agafaster

Quote:
cool ! sounds about right - didnt see any manuals - unless theyre on the disk from Virgin Media (didnt look to be honest-no reason to yet!)

I doubt it, I think there is only software and general docs on the disk.

Didn't notice earlier that you were in the UK, why are VM handing out something like that? My cable modem is tiny (and VM branded too). Are you in an analogue-only cable area or something?

Chris

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

Chris wrote:
@agafaster

Quote:

I doubt it, I think there is only software and general docs on the disk.

I wont bother to look then. thanks for saving me th'effort

Quote:

Didn't notice earlier that you were in the UK, why are VM handing out something like that? My cable modem is tiny (and VM branded too). Are you in an analogue-only cable area or something?

Chris

no, digital.
it is tiny, I guess they havent got any virgin branded ones in our depot ! our area went digital about 8 years ago. Scientific Atlanta used to do the analogue tv boxes - thats where I recognised the brand from.

PS: just tried putting in the local IP address mentioned earlier. cool ! y'just dont get that with a 56k modem ! (alhough it only seems to be a status/diag site - no config)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@agafaster

Quote:

PS: just tried putting in the local IP address mentioned earlier. cool ! y'just dont get that with a 56k modem ! (alhough it only seems to be a status/diag site - no config)

Lets hope they didn't reflashed it with a software containing a limited interface (to prevent ppl from doing things to save themselves dealing with configs more complex than defaults they decided on).
Any "login" dialog there? Usually one has to authorize to get access to the settings.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Jack wrote:
@agafaster

Quote:

Lets hope they didn't reflashed it with a software containing a limited interface (to prevent ppl from doing things to save themselves dealing with configs more complex than defaults they decided on).
Any "login" dialog there? Usually one has to authorize to get access to the settings.

Jack

nuffin' ! only status stuff - probably locked/reflashed, like you say ! after all even the computer illiterate can get a broadband connection !

Go to top

Register To Post