Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
AmigaONE XE-G4 boot
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi, I have a (very) anoying problem:

Everytime I disconnect my AmigaONE PSU-powercable and reconnect it later the machine refuses to boot: no screen output and my lcd-screen goes in sleep modes.

I then have to open my AmigaONE case: disconnect the powercable, remove the battery (replaced it 6 weeks ago) etc. I have to repeat this procedure mostly several times and then the machine wil boot again...

Is there a solution for this strange behaviour ? It should be possible to move the machine shouldn't ?

Go to top
Re: AmigaONE XE-G4 boot
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@benny

Have you tried a different PSU ? works perfectly fin her.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Yes, switched the Enermax to an noname PC300Watt, but I did not monitor the results then.

I'll do it again and test it.

What PSU are you using ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information

Edited by LiveForIt on 2007/10/18 16:14:17
Edited by LiveForIt on 2007/10/18 16:14:54
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@benny

What PSU are you using ?

I replaced the original a couple of years ago with a 430watt ThermalTake. My A1 was backup since Oct 1 and only two bootup problems : slow and USB scan sometimes hangs.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@benny

Try to disconnect the cable and shorten the battery socket contacts (you can do it by fitting the battery upside-down).
I had a similar problem a while ago (there was also as sticky clock).
I also started with a new battery, but bought another one anyway (and used it).
Will measure the first one some day soon.
The solution here is courtesy of Snuffy

Jack

Edited by Jack on 2007/10/18 8:58:02
Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

My current one: Enermax, 300W.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

>Try to disconnect the cable and shorten the battery socket contacts (you can do it by fitting the battery upside-down).

I replaced the PSU with an Aopen, it worked. I disconected the PSU cable for a few hours and the A1 did boot up again after connecting the cable.

However, today the system did not boot again. I just replaced the battery with a new one and it is fine again.

I did fit the battery up side down, but no result, but anyway thank for your help.

Is there any particularly brand I should choose when buying the CR2032 battery's ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@benny

No idea I have only replaced battery once, I notices that if you never turn off your computer, the backup battery will never be recharged to full capacity.

You should never use the power switch on back of your power supply.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @benny

However, today the system did not boot again....

Need more info of exactly what happening/not happening. Can we see some serial port#0 debug listing?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:
@benny

No idea I have only replaced battery once, I notices that if you never turn off your computer, the backup battery will never be recharged to full capacity.

You should never use the power switch on back of your power supply.

I replaced the battery for the 4th time in 3 years now.
My A1 is never on for longer then 8 hours a day.

I don't use the switch, but just pull out the PSU-powercable. is there a difference betwee the two ?

Edited by benny on 2007/10/22 20:43:30
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:

Snuffy wrote:
Hi @benny

However, today the system did not boot again....

Need more info of exactly what happening/not happening. Can we see some serial port#0 debug listing?

Well, it is booting again after I replaced the battery. But what I can do is: put the battery back and do a serial log. After figuring out howto do a serial log.

Edited by benny on 2007/10/22 20:44:28
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@benny

I have a similar problem, related to the contacts between the CPU card and the MB. If I turn off my A1, most of the time it doesn't boot anymore until I mowe a bit the CPU card... Now, I decided not to turn off my A1, hoping there will be no cut...

Luca

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

Thanks.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Ricossa

Arghh!
Consider taking a close look at that CPU module and setting it right once and for all, rather than risking damaging the very fragile connectors on the module and motherboard.

The module should be perfectly parallel to the motherboard.
If it is slanted towards the Articia and memory slots it wasn't correctly inserted all the way.

In that case you're better off removing the motherboard from the case to re-install the module properly.
Also inspect the megarray pins from various angles to make sure none of them are bent.

The safest way to install the module is to lower it very gently while keeping an eye on the connectors to make sure they're aligned, it should slide in effortlessly or it's not aligned/parallel, in which case pins could get bent.
Once it's as far in as it easily wants to go, it actually requires several pounds of pressure to be lowered all the way and it should become obvious when it stops with plastic against plastic.

Replacing the screws requires some care as well, to avoid damaging or shorting surrounding components.
It only needs to be tight enough to prevent the module from getting lose but not so tight that it would bend or put stress on the PCB.
Using spacers helps a lot there as they prevent bending the boards and also add better support for heavy heatsinks when moving the computer.

A1-XE-G4 7455/933 - 2GB RAM - OS4.1 beta - Radeon 9200-256
Audigy2 - ESI Julia - Solo1 - X10 (cm11a) - WiFi (WAP11) - 2x80GB HDD
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@benny

Make sure you don't touch the batteries with your bare fingers, they tend to go bad really fast fast if you accidentally touch both sides.

Another issue is may be that your battery is getting drained by some current leaks when the machine is completely unplugged, as can happen unless diodes are there to prevent it.
So unless you're adding/removing hardware or moving the machine, you might have better luck if you use the power button on the front of the case (if you have one) rather than pulling the plug or switching the PSU off on the back.

If you turn the power off via the front switch, the PSU still supplies some parts of the motherboard with power, as needed to support wakeup on LAN, timers and similar features. That current might keep the battery from getting drained as quickly.

A1-XE-G4 7455/933 - 2GB RAM - OS4.1 beta - Radeon 9200-256
Audigy2 - ESI Julia - Solo1 - X10 (cm11a) - WiFi (WAP11) - 2x80GB HDD
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AlexC

> Consider taking a close look at that CPU module and
> setting it right once and for all

I did it many many times, everything you suggested. Now I let the A1 on all the time... no more problems

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @AlexC

If you turn the power off via the front switch, the PSU still supplies some parts of the motherboard with power, as needed to support wakeup on LAN, timers and similar features. That current might keep the battery from getting drained as quickly.
Oh, really? My first battery lasted three years! I left the back switch on always and used the front switch. I probably got the cheapest ATX case and PSU in universe. However, my A1 is directly plugged into a 350Watt APC battery backup. It might be how the A1 is grounded or who built the system?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@benny

When you remove the battery, have you tried putting the old one back in?

You shouldn't have to replace the CR3032 so often.

Your booting problem is a known issue with Micro A1's, but this is the first time I have heard of it on the XE hardware.

The Micros need the battery shorting before reapplying the power after "moving" the machine, and they then boot fine. This doesn't seem to affect all micros either, but I know of at least 3 that suffer this malady.

So I'm wondering if the pure fact that you are removing and replacing the battery is what makes it boot (same as the micro) rather than the fact you are putting in a fresh CR3032...

Simon

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »