Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Bad Checksum on slb??
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I recently started having trouble on bootup. The screen says it finds all three bootable sources (two HD and CD if I have update4 CD in drive) as far as FLB, but it can't find any SLB.

Sometimes the uboot screen says something about not finding an ELF file, too. Sorry I don't have more specifics right now, but I"m writing from memory at work.

The only way I seem to be able to get it to finish booting is to unplug the power cord and let it sit quite a while before trying again.

Last time it did this, replacing the battery took care of the problem. But this time, changing the battery hasn't helped at all.

After installing the July update, I corrected the UBoot prefs back to what they should be. All partitions are SFS, but it was acting up like this before I updated to 1.273

The bootable partitions have their priorities set in descending order of preference. Basically, I have my main drive with one bootable partition, and a second drive devoted to back ups with two other bootable partitions.

Two-mouse-button boot does not give me a boot selector screen.

Any suggestions what else I should look at?

Thanks for any help.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Re: Bad Checksum on slb??
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Paul
I take it the UBoot command "ide reset" does indeed show your devices?

If not your IDE card/cable is probably loose. At least I had that problem once.

P.S. Make sure the UBoot var "boot1" is set correctly as well.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ssolie

Quote:
I take it the UBoot command "ide reset" does indeed show your devices?

If not your IDE card/cable is probably loose. At least I had that problem once.

P.S. Make sure the UBoot var "boot1" is set correctly as well.

Since the UBoot prefs have been working (update 4 or final??), I've been setting from there. So I didn't try the "ide reset" command from the UBoot cursor. But the drives were all listed correctly when the hardware was reset each time.

"boot1" I asssume is the var for the first boot source? If so, I've reset as needed from within UBoot and from Uboot prefs.

Oddly, since getting home and trying it tonight, it has started booting correctly. It didn't the first three times. But since then, I've rebooted 5 or 6 times, and so far, it's come up with no problem.

Now if only one of the noisy case fans would quiet down!

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Paul

I recently started having trouble on bootup. The screen says it finds all three bootable sources (two HD and CD if I have update4 CD in drive) as far as FLB, but it can't find any SLB.

Had that happen when I change from VIA IDE to SII.
I didn't have the Uboot variable corectly labled.

Make any changes via Sys:Prefs/Uboot recently?
I kind of believe in making Uboot changes via Uboot/prompt rather than Sys:Prefs/UBoot. Scripting and typos tend to 'bite and byte' you!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Paul

Sometimes unplugging power cord indicates bad power supply or dying mobo.

Condensators wont work anymore properly or simply gets overloaded because of bad supply. Specially condensators, wich gives currency to processor.

A1 condensator cans are good quality, additionally mhz's are relativelly low (less stress), so power supply is suspected.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mlehto

Quote:

Mlehto wrote:
@Paul

Sometimes unplugging power cord indicates bad power supply or dying mobo.

Condensators wont work anymore properly or simply gets overloaded because of bad supply. Specially condensators, wich gives currency to processor.

A1 condensator cans are good quality, additionally mhz's are relativelly low (less stress), so power supply is suspected.

If it weren't for the intermittent nature (i.e., it's working OK again, now) of the problem, I'd disagree about it being the PSU. I have a REALLY good Antec PSU in there which is only about a year old, and has worked flawlessly since installation.

@Snuffy

Quote:
Make any changes via Sys:Prefs/Uboot recently?
I kind of believe in making Uboot changes via Uboot/prompt rather than Sys:Prefs/UBoot. Scripting and typos tend to 'bite and byte' you!

Yes, but only after the problem started showing up. Actually, it seemed kind of hit and miss when changing it from the UBoot menu, as far as saving what I had set. It seems like a few times when I ESC'd and saved settings, it didn't hold the boot1 var into a restart, but always seems to hold what I change from UBoot Prefs in the Prefs drawer.

Hmmm. I wonder if I have a bad contact between the flash mem chip and the socket?

Paul

X5000
Go to top

Register To Post