Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

joerg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Icon virii ?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi all,
I found a virus yesterday via all the updates flying around lately. I just had installed SFS 1.273 and
went back to finishing updating Aweb.html. So, I go to open the drawer where the file is and the
'busy pointer' goes active for a half a minute! Wow, i can't belive that! The file is about 10Kb or
smaller. Wow, I didn't have this in SFS 1.270 ????
OK, rolling up the sleeves on my T-shirt, and looking into why that happened, I find a sort of
XY virus in the Nuvola icon for Aweb.html! How did the X pos and Y pos of the icon get so high:
2100 on the X dispaly axis and 2000 on Y. Ah, so the drawer takes a long time to open and set
the icon position. Killed the Def_icon in Env-Archive and installed the system one. This olved the
problem.

How that happen? Is it virus or should I say icon virus. Are there more? Oh yes icon virii is everywhere!
I'll leave you all alone with this scary one: grab any "#?.prefs" file and what does RAWinfo say?
Anyone of you experts know what causes that?

The third icon virus comes from ExtraInfo.lha (v1.2). I downloaded it and great difficulty getting the
program to run. There seems to be a evil virus that changed the behavior of "InfWin". I would appreciate
others checking it out. Maybe it just me with all this icon virii spring-up!

Go to top
Re: Icon virii ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Snuffy

I think you're being a bit paranoid. Just because there is some unexplained behaviour, doesn't mean there are evil kids out to get you with viruses.

Look for a more reasonable explanation in each case.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Snuffy

May I suggest you take a little more water with it?

An icon is a data file, it is not executable therefore cannot be a virus unless it's one of those irish ones where you have to delete all your files manually and tell your mates to to the same

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Snuffy

My guess is that your settings in Prefs/DefIcons got changed.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Severin

> May I suggest you take a little more water with it?
Don't put me down;
I'm not "being a bit paranoid."

All my #?. prefs return in RAWInfo as "ScalosPrefs"!
WTF caused that? It was a fresh and new part. for the final update. So where did it come from ? I never install it.

>An icon is a data file, it is not executable therefore cannot be a virus unless it's one of those irish ones where you have to delete all your files manually and tell your mates to to the same

Get real! If come into the system screwing with the X and Y position of all icons, you'd scream in a minute.
This happened with Nuvola icons when I update to SFS 1.273. Maybe it just me, I don't know.

Outside of Scalos, I can think of AFA_OS as a possible source of icon problems and incompatability.

Go to top

Register To Post