Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
236 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 233

Rigo, beworld, flash, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Thanks Acube... :-)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

Go to top
Re: Thanks Acube... :-)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Class act ACube

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I have paid the license fee of £28.85 and not even sure if I needed to now! Was very confusing, I am an existing ACube customer with a SAM460 and thought I wouldn't get updated drivers unless I paid the fee. I have a Radeon HD 4650 fitted which currently has good 2D suport but lacks overlay and 3D support, will that be included in OS4.2, just not clear to me!

Or have I wasted £28.85

SAM 460 with 2GB or RAM, 1000GB HD, 4 port SATA, DVDRW drive and Radeon HD 4650 GFX card.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sicky Quote:
thought I wouldn't get updated drivers unless I paid the fee

Why did you think you *needed* any driver updates? Isn't your Radeon HD 4650 working fine with the current drivers?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I really don't understand why you have to upgrade if you do your job with your current gfx card. As I said on aw.net I'm using a resolution of 1920x1080x32 on my Peg2 G4 machine with an old ATI Radeon 9250 256MB without the slightest problem.

What more will you gain if you plug a RadeonHD 7000 series gfx card right now?

Of course it's a milestone for the AmigaOS to have brand new gfx drivers, and the next version (4.2) will bring 3D acceleration also.

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
Why did you think you *needed* any driver updates? Isn't your Radeon HD 4650 working fine with the current drivers?

Because drivers are always being updated, it's a never ending thing! Yes my Radeon HD 4650 is working fine, but drivers get tweaks that improve them or make them faster, just didn't want to miss out thats all, not complaining at all!

SAM 460 with 2GB or RAM, 1000GB HD, 4 port SATA, DVDRW drive and Radeon HD 4650 GFX card.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Well, but for the Sam owners where we find or buy these drivers? or again I have buy other Sam, if there is to do a payment for these drivers, well, but where? and why? directly to HDR Lab?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Templario

HDRLabs has already been paid in full from A-EON.

You can order drivers here:

http://www.a-eon.com/?page=radeonhd

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Templario

Tue, 26 Jun 2012
Owners of old Sam460ex boards, please read

Owners of old Sam460ex boards which need to update to a more modern graphic card, or which need a more stable driver than the 0.32 version supplied with every board, can order the new driver from A-eon.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Phantom

Quote:

I'm using a resolution of 1920x1080x32 on my Peg2 G4 machine with an old ATI Radeon 9250 256MB without the slightest problem.

Can get even better - I'm using 1920 x 1200 x 32 on my Sam Flex, also with an ATI Radeon 9250 256MB No problem at all, and the Sam gets used all day. If I ever get so spoilt to require better hardware with a Radeon HD card, I'll gladly pay for the driver!

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Anonymous
Ask for refund Then the question is who will be buying the driver? Peg and SAM 440 users who have PCI RadeonHD?

Respected move by Acube

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@vox
Where can you find a *PCI* (not Express!) Radeon HD card for sale? I didn't even know they existed

Go to top
Anonymous
Oh now I see older SAM 460 owners will have to pay

http://hdrlab.org.nz/projects/amiga-o ... r-hardware-compatibility/
http://hdrlab.org.nz/projects/amiga-o ... ndations-for-amigaos-4-x/

There are very few such cards, but there is PCI-E to PCI converter

Quote:
PCI Only Amigas While I would recommend that people upgrade to one of the newer motherboards that support PCIe, I realise that many will want to upgrade their existing machines instead. My current recommendation is still that people wait until the driver has actually been released before buying a card for older Amigas. There is no set release date yet. With older AmigaOS 4.x machines, the choice is rather more limited. The performance will be limited by the PCI bus' bandwidth, and the lower CPU speed. Nevertheless, I still see upgrading to a Radeon HD (or Radeon X1000 series) card as a step up. Not in terms of speed, but in terms of capability. These cards will introduce the ability to use shaders, which opens up a whole new set of possibilities. Here are some general things to keep in mind: WARNING: Do not try to use an AGP version of these cards in your Amiga! Despite having made it clear that this is not possible, I still see people talking about it occasionally on various web forums (or fora, whichever you prefer). I want to make it clear right now that this will not work, and will likely damage both your graphics card and your Amiga. The reason is that the Radeon HD cards are all AGP 4x/8x cards, and do not support the higher voltage of the AGP 2x slot. The AmigaOne XE mistakenly has a universal AGP connector, so the graphics card will physically fit. Please do not try this If you use a PCI-to-PCIe bridge card, get one with a PEX8112. The Radeon HD driver has code to optimise the settings of the PEX 8111 and 8112, but not other PCI-to-PCIe bridges. Plus, it supports blind-prefetching, which increases VRAM read access speed. Also, you will need a low-profile graphics card, or your card will be dangling over the edge, with connectors blocked by your case A Radeon HD 4650 plus a PCI-to-PCIe bridge card will outperform a Radeon HD 4350 PCI. This is a case of my original assumption being wrong. Originally I said that, due to the slow PCI bus and lower CPU power, the Radeon HD 4650 would be a waste. Well, someone decided to try anyway and, it does have a noticeable improvement over the Radeon HD 4350 PCI. Yes, the PCI bus and lower CPU power is a bottleneck, and you'll never be able to get the maximum out of the card. Nevertheless, testing has shown that it does make for a snappier machine overall SAM 440-FLEX AND SAM 440EP REMINDER: The RadeonHD driver is not yet available for these motherboards. At this stage I would recommend that Sam 440-flex users to get either a Radeon HD 4350 PCI, or get a PEX 8112 based PCI-to-PCIe bridge card and a low-profile Radeon HD 4650** if they wish to upgrade to a Radeon HD card. It is faster than older cards, and offers all of the capabilities of the Radeon HD 4000 series. If you want to get a Radeon X1000 series card, then the Radeon X1550 has the best performance. ** NOTE: I say "low-profile" because a PCI-to-PCIe plus a low-profile Radeon HD card should be able to fit into a full-size slot, whereas plugging a full-size AMIGAONE-XE (WITHOUT THE DMA FIX) AND THE AMIGAONE-SE REMINDER: The RadeonHD driver is not yet available for these motherboards. My recommendations for these motherboards are the same as for the Sam 440-flex. AMIGAONE-XE (WITH DMA FIX) AND THE MICRO AMIGAONE REMINDER: The RadeonHD driver is not yet available for these motherboards. It is well known that the Micro AmigaOne (uA1) has trouble with using a plug-in graphics card. Some have managed to use plug-in graphics cards, but had to sacrifice DMA for their hard-drives, and USB. AmigaOne-XE (A1-XE) boards with the DMA fix have the same problem as the uA1 with graphics cards plugged into the 33 MHz bus. Unfortunately UBoot does not initialise Radeon HD cards properly when plugged into the 66 MHz PCI slot since it cannot handle nested PCI bridges. I hope that the AmigaOne UBoot update project manages to fix this issue. In the meantime, know that using Radeon HD cards (or Radeon X1000 series cards) will require sacrificing DMA for IDE and USB. PEGASOS-II IMPORTANT: Radeon HD cards will not work with the Pegasos-II. The Pegasos-II's openfirmware will not detect and initialise the graphics card. It will quite happily detect and initialise the PCI-to-PCIe bridge on the card, but it will not detect the actual graphics chipset that resides behind the bridge. Attempts have been made to contact Genesi and B-Plan regarding getting the firmware updated, but to no avail. CLASSIC AMIGAS WITH POWERPC ACCELERATORS IMPORTANT: Radeon HD cards do not work in Classic Amigas. Apart from being impractical, PCI-to-PCI bridges are not supported on any of the Classic Amiga bus-boards. Since connecting a Radeon HD card to a PCI bus requires a PCI-to-PCIe bridge (either soldered on to the card, or separate), this will not work. The bridge chip is detected, but not the graphics card behind it. Even if this problem were solved, I have been told that the 256 MiB of CPU-accessible VRAM into the Zorro address space (NOTE: The 256 MiB must also be 256 MiB aligned, due to PCI alignment rules). To be honest, the Classic Amiga is so underpowered relative to these cards that using them together makes little sense. You really need a modern PCI-Express capable Amiga to be able to take full advantage of Radeon HD cards.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I would like to know if these drivers will be included in the next Amiga OS release: Amiga OS 4.2

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
And for the people that bougth them, the big question how work it? now you can play to 3d games as Tomatoes or Chromiun BSU?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Templario Quote:
for the people that bougth them, the big question how work it? now you can play to 3d games ... ?

Is that some strange humor? 3D support for Radeon HD is not until AmigaOS4.2 . These drivers are only aimed at allowing Radeon HD 5xxx (and above) cards working as well as Radeon HD 4xxx cards.

Go to top
Anonymous
Should be included in OS 4.2

Go to top

Register To Post