Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: My machine locks up every night.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Deniil wrote:
The only other computer I have is a MacMini, basically, and it doesn't have a serial port (last time I checked..).

Maybe but surely it has USB ports. You just need an USB<->serial converter there are plenty out there for a cheap amount. The good thing with this cable is that you'll then be able to debug your own software a lot easier using IExec->DebugPrintf()

Quote:

Deniil wrote:
Why I have it running is because AmigaOS lacks a hibernation mode. When I'm coding or whatever I have tons of windows open with shell output and everything and I very much like to leave it at that so I know where I left off, otherwise I'll waste half an hour trying to remember what I was last doing. Sometimes I even forget that I even was doing some project and a week later when I remember it again I have no clue what I had done and not done and everything will be full of bugs because of half-finished code

As Chris I prefer the "nice breakpoint" solution because in my experience leaving things as is hoping I'll remember what I was doing/thinking/aiming proved not to work for me. Instead I prefer finishing what I'm doing before leaving, as Chris it sometimes means going to sleep late but at least I've finished what I was doing the way I planned it. I also abuse of log files, and TODO.

Oh, and my editor supports sessions saving/restoring so I can restart with the same files opened when I resume. (my editor is CubicIDE).

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@abalaban

I'll see what I can do about this serial thing, unless I can figure it out some other way.

I also have started to use ToDo and What'sDone lists quite a lot but I still want to have the entire computer as I left it, not having to start up everything all the time, open the shells or DECH or whatever I use, find back to the directories in DOpus, the page in the autodocs I was reading etc etc. It's not just about sessions in the editor, it's the entire environment, chat sessions and all.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Ok, still haven't messed with the serial thing, BUT, I have after like a month of testing come to the conclusion that it seems to be because of DefIcons.

Since I disabled most of my stuff in WBStartup and then slowly adding things back, I have now only DefIcons left as disabled, everything else is enabled including screenblanker and HD-off during the night. No lockups. I have done tests with DefIcons on some days/nights along with other stuff and pretty much always got a lockup when I get home from work. No everything except DefIcons is on and no lockups.

I will do a reverse test for a week with everything EXCEPT DefIcons disabled and see what happens. That is, only running DefIcons.

I agree it is very strange if this program could cause a system freeze just by running for more than 20 hours or whatever.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Interesting. I've had a lot more lockups recently (happening much like you describe in #1) but I'm not sure if it isn't just the RAM running out. I'll have to remember DefIcons though.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yeah, RAM running out causes lockups with update 3 when it tries to swap pages back in after being swapped out it seems.

Btw. Still no nightly lockups with everything except DefIcons running. DefIcons is not a commodity either I noticed! Why??

Tonight I will start running with DefIcons and disable most other stuff from WBstartup to see what happens.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Deniil Quote:
Yeah, RAM running out causes lockups with update 3 when it tries to swap pages back in after being swapped out it seems.

The out-of-ram crashes may only originate from the Ram Disk.

BTW, try deleting/renaming DefIcon's prefs file, to see if there is something in it upsetting DefIcons.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

What do you mean by the out-of-ram crashes may only originate from the Ram Disk?

Are you saying that when memory has been swapped out, it will crash if some program touches a temp file in RAM, something f.ex. YAM is likely to do?

And yes, my DefIcons prefs may be damaged. That is not impossible. But first a verification week.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
What do you mean by the out-of-ram crashes may only originate from the Ram Disk?

Are you saying that when memory has been swapped out, it will crash if some program touches a temp file in RAM, something f.ex. YAM is likely to do?

That is what I was thinking, yes.

Ssolie told me off (on a forum somewhere) for saying that swapping was broken, and indeed PortablE does still seem to work when swapping happens. Update 3 apparently fixed swapping, and I think it was suggested that this might affect buggy programs (which presumably allocate the wrong kind of memory). He never actually said what the cause of the observed crashes was, but the logical implication seemed to be that Ram Disk was at fault.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Ok, so that means four things then:

- Swapping is fixed in update3 and actually works better than in update 2. (Contradictive at first glance.)

- RamDisk is broken in update 3 causing crashes when swapping. (How could that be?!?)

- The kernel (exec) is broken and allows the wrong type of memory to be swapped out (which is the implication of your mentioning of "buggy programs (which presumably allocate the wrong kind of memory)"). (Highly unlikely.)

- Or, some new driver (using interrupts and/or DMA) in update 3 is buggy and allocates the wrong kind of memory causing an interrupt to freeze the machine hard (which is exactly what happens).

That last part is really the only thing that makes sense; a new driver we didn't have before (USB again..?) allocating SHARED (which is the new default IIRC, and what malloc/new would return I presume) when it needs to be PUBLIC for interrupt access or as DMA buffer.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
- RamDisk is broken in update 3 causing crashes when swapping. (How could that be?!?)

I assume that RamDisk has *always* been broken, but this wasn't visible until Update3 fixed how swapping was done.

Quote:
- The kernel (exec) is broken and allows the wrong type of memory to be swapped out (which is the implication of your mentioning of "buggy programs (which presumably allocate the wrong kind of memory)"). (Highly unlikely.)

I don't see how this is implied by what I said. Maybe you misunderstood me?

Quote:
- Or, some new driver (using interrupts and/or DMA) in update 3 is buggy and allocates the wrong kind of memory causing an interrupt to freeze the machine hard (which is exactly what happens).

I don't see how what I wrote implied this either, but it does at least sound possible.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Update: Removing everything except DefIcons did not cause nightly lockups, so (not surprizingly) DefIcons does not seem to be the (sole) cause of this.

The second topic; swapping:
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
I assume that RamDisk has *always* been broken, but this wasn't visible until Update3 fixed how swapping was done.

Still can't see how ramdisk being broken would lock up the machine. How would it be broken btw? I've never had any trouble with it. AFAIK it only allocates memory in a way that makes swapping it very inefficient (and therefore a bad test case), that's all.

Quote:

I don't see how this is implied by what I said. Maybe you misunderstood me?

I see I must have had some sort of brain fart here

Quote:

I don't see how what I wrote implied this either, but it does at least sound possible.

Well an app allocating wrong memory would crash, not lock up the machine hard. The only thing that can cause this kind of buzzing hard lockup is a crash in an interrupt routine, possibly caused by a driver accessing the wrong memory.

The USB2 driver is new and the ATA drivers have been updated so they are all candidates IMO.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Update: I'm pretty certain I found the cause of this problem.

1. SabreMSN leaks about 1kB of memory per second per open chat session. This caused the machine to eventually run out of memory when left a long time and having other program also open causing free mem to be low to start with.

2. The swapping doesn't work in OS4 upd3 & 4 resulting in a lockup sooner or later after running out of memory.

I just fixed SabreMSN yesterday and will release a fix through Jahc shortly, and reported the swapping problems to Hyperion's forum (several times).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I had similar problems in the past, and pinned it down to a utility that was running...
Now and then I have some sort system of freeze like:
-mouse & KB stalled (the WB clock is ticking!) All I have to do is to unplug & plug in again the mouse.
-mouse & KB work, but I cannot launch any app (by double clicking the WB icon or using KB shortcuts), nor use the pull down menues (disappeared)!?
-mouse & KB frozen AND the whole system (no recovery after plugging in & out the mouse).

OS4.1.4 running on SamFlex

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@deniil Quote:
reported the swapping problems to Hyperion's forum (several times).

Reporting it does not mean it will get solved... unless a beta-tester is able to reproduce the problem.

Quote:
2. The swapping doesn't work in OS4 upd3 & 4 resulting in a lockup sooner or later after running out of memory.

As I recall, it *did* work for my (on my Sam440) when using GCC. So I think there must be some special circumstances (e.g. the software allocating the memory), or perhaps specific to your machine.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)