Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
240 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 240

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Dead A1XE
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Damn... I think my A1XE is dead. Recently it had been eating through batteries quickly, or so I thought, every time the mains power was disconnected it needed a battery change. The other day I powered it on and it shut itself down, powering on was black screen.

Upon investigation, a rogue wire had come loose from the PSU, one of the crimps on the IDE power to the CD-ROM had worked its way out of the socket and was lying on the motherboard, right near the CPU...

I've tried changing the battery again several times, stripped the machine right down to bare motherboard and GPU, no sign of life.

Green light is on the motherboard, but no video output.

There is no visible damage on the board, would there be if it had shorted it?

I guess serial de-bug is next step. What kind of cable do I need for the A1XE, not sure which port is the serial port.

Does Amigakit do A1 repairs?

Go to top
Re: Dead A1XE
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Use a null modem cable (or 3 wires) attach to COM1 on the A1-XE set uboot
baudrate variable to 115200 and os4_commandline=debuglevel=4
The other side plug it to an A1200 or PC use/dl a terminal program (NComm or XP's terminal) configure it as 8N1 115200 baudrate
If you see garbage chars on terminal program try to lower the baudrate (in uboot and terminal program)

Go to top
Re: Dead A1XE
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
If the battery has been bad the UBoot memory could have been corrupted. I think the cure is to remove the battery for a while, like 15-30 minutes to make it revert completely to defaults.

The PSU might also have been damaged. If anything else, maybe that pin did short something causing the PSU to detect the surge and switch off, but something on the mobo may still be damaged.

Reset UBoot completely and the try serial.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top

Register To Post