Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

ASL requester save position ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
It is possible to setup somehow/somethere for ASL requster to "save" position ? Like i press in any programm "open" and it's opens not at the root , but in the directory where last open was happenes ?

I remember that for os3.9 i use some kind of hack for it, did it possible to configure normally in os4, or maybe one more patch from os4depot ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: ASL requester save position ?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

As far as I know there is nothing in ASL itself for that.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@HammerD

I was in hope that because of "new asl requester", there will be an options like "save path of last position". It's a bit slower a work, when you need always found the same file on the same place ..

Or will be nice to have one more new feature like APPDIR: (or based on it), where for every programm will be saved last opened file, and asl requester will bring you next time for current programm on that place.

As far as i remember, i have on os3.9bb2 some kinf of path for it. Just does not remember what it was - asl patch, or something else.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

That is down to the individual application and has nothing to do with ASL. The DEv can choose to supply a default path (or last used path/file) or not. most don't because it's easier.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Severin
Will be cool if someday os4 will care itself about it and have options kind "save requester path for every programm on/off". So, the programms which alredy done with normal support - will use it already, and these programms which are not - can be "save" by that feature.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Fine if you want to add more useless time consuming bloat and take up a lot of hd space for little return...

Why do you think it takes osx/windows so long to open a file requester? Having ASL find out what program is calling it then scan a very large database (say recent 10 or 20 files for each app & last dir + position) will add a very noticeable slowdown.

The ASL API could be enhanced so the calling app coud pass it's name along (+ secret code for those cases of apps with the same name, or different versions) but that won't help with the thousands of apps no longer being developed, you would still need to load and scan a several MB (that gets bigger everytime you call it un;ess you want to sow things down even more while it does maintenance) file every time a filerequester was called...

Then there's the argument about the user actually having to think and remember things unlike in the M$ world, I know it hurts but it's good for you

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Severin

Quote:

Why do you think it takes osx/windows so long to open a file requester? Having ASL find out what program is calling it then scan a very large database (say recent 10 or 20 files for each app & last dir + position) will add a very noticeable slowdown.

There are plenty of ways how add that without any slowingdowns and problems. It's just motivation of os4 developers, and i, as user, will interest to see that some day (of course, having in mind that it will be add as good as possible, with the best logical algo, and with the best and fast ideas, and not just like some heavy rescan on 10minuts for every asl req :) ).

Technicaly i am see there many ways how add that good to the os, but i am not os4 core develor, and only what i can - ask as user about one more good-user-friendly feature.

Saying that all the modern oses are bloated -it's untrue. We have thousand examples of thousands OSes, where the same and more hard and heavy ideas implement without that "bloat slowingdowns". And even if we will talk about WinXP, i never have any slowing downs when do "open file" or kind. And even if it will on some rare 100mgz cpu from 1995 year, then .. then we all know what then :)

For example the one of the eases way: just make it "save" for the current work. Not for all the time, but like you run one time any programm, open file in it one time, and then , whyle you still use that programm, position will be "saved". When you will exit, then erase everything from memory. Or just asl req on exit (which can be on/off from prefs) "do you want to save asl position for that programm ?" .

By this way only necessary programms will use that, and .. and in other ways there of plenty ideas and possibilites about add that. Just matter of motivation and interest of os4developers.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post