Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Null Modem for micro-A1 and debugging
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
A few days ago I created a null modem and serial connector for my microA1 but it seems it doesn't work. I need your help. But, first let me tell you about my cables.

1. I created a piece of cable that changes a serial cable to a null modem. I used the schematis of cloanto at this image
2. I created a small piece of cable connector to connect on the microA1 serial header on board. I used the Intuition base handbook to find the serial connection header and create the connector
3. Last is the common serial cable connected to a PC with Windows, using hyper terminal 7.0

Those cable are connected in the following order:
microA1 ==> serial connector on board ==> null modem switch cable ==> common serial cable ==> PC

At the microA1 I inserted at the Uboot the following multiboot parameters
debuglevel=5 serial baudrate=57600

Also, I changed the kicklayout to load the kernel.debug file.

So, I would like to ask you if you believe that I did something wrong? Also, is there a serial null modem schematics specific for the microA1?

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Re: Null Modem for micro-A1 and debugging
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@walkero
I don't know how good you are with electronics but since the µA1 serial header is numbered differently that a serial DB9 connector here is a diagram that shows the DB9 pin names in addition to the numbers so you can confirm that your wiring is correct: DB9_serial_connection

Quote:
debuglevel=5 serial baudrate=57600

I don't know if you can enter all the parameters on the same line. When I enter "NVGetvar" in a shell on my SAM, the baudrate and debuglevel are listed on different lines. I would suggest that you reboot and enter "DumpDebugBuffer" in a shell. I would assume that if you have correctly changed the debug output to the serial port, the debug buffer would be empty. If not, maybe you could try the "kdebug" command in C: to change the debug output from memory to serial.

I can't find any documentation that mentions serial port handshaking for the serial debug output but I'm guessing that it's software handshaking (RTS/CTS). You might want to check the serial settings on you PC to be sure that the settins are the same as for the µA1 (baudrate 57600, RTS/CTS handshake, 8N1 with no parity bit). I'm guessing at the µA1 settings based on the default settings in the Serial Prefs.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Re: Null Modem for micro-A1 and debugging
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
...need your help. But, first let me tell you about my cables...I did something wrong?
I have no idea about the µA1, but FYI... Years ago I ran into a problem with A1 and used the A1200 for help in debugging! I used Term 4.8 and a Radio Shack Null-Modem. Connection: A1 serial port 1 ==> null modem==> serial A1200

I changed the kicklayout to load the kernel.debug file.
You have to use the first serial port or it won't work. The port is internally pre-set ISTR for output.

Go to top

Register To Post