Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »
Re: DrawerGenie for AOS4?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@geennaam
I think everything will come to the point of patching OpenWindowRagList() by creating our new one, via os4's SetMethod(). Just, need to understand how to not patch any other window, but only workbench's ones.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@sinisrus

PowerWB adds gadgets to window titlebar (and maybe menu options). just like on some porgrams add iconify gadget to intuition windows.

What it will be nice is to SetFunction/Method and add a (toolbar/speedbar) gadget/object to WB windows only (like powerWB) just below the window titlebar.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Hi, not sure, but maybe check WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW flag on all WB windows and ones with such flag are WB ones.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I was trying to find this topic at one night but didn't find it. I thought it was removed by somebody for some reason. :)

>"when you move the window, buttons stays not connected to the window, but leaves on the workbench screen, and after a while moved to the window"

I thought, I didn't know if it's possible to patch WB to get what we want. So I'm using timer.device. I didn't want it to use too much CPU so put the delay to 2 seconds. That makes reacting to window changes that slow. The routine checks for opened and closed WB windows. I thought it's acceptable delay. There's a notification system built into AOS but it reports screen opening closing or depth arrangement but it doesn't report window moving, so not possible to use that approach.

>"have preferences to choose what kind of buttons we want"
That's quite bunch of work to do. Didn't bother.

@kas1e
>"Instead, seems OpenWindowTagList() is used for!"
Thanks, to find out which one of the functions WB uses!

Thanks, for the SetMethod example!

@thread
Workbench offers few hooks for copying and deleting files and text inputting, which you can use for your own implementation. That's how RAWBInfo works. But WB doesn't offer hooks for anything else.

If you guys don't mind flooding the window titlebar with buttons, it's rather easy to add new titlebar buttons to windows. But I don't like that trend. I want to find free place to grab a window with the mouse.

Any this kind of a utility as a dirty hack. It would be the best if Hyperion's AmigaOS developers could improve the Workbench itself!

We can try that patching of window opening routines, if that would give better chances.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jabirulo

Thanks, for the WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW tip!

@thread
I found and fixed a bug also.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Patching any OpenWindow routines is useless obviously. We can find struct Window memory pointers to WB windows by other means and then add more gadgets to them.

Also I noticed that when you hold the window titlebar Intuition won't refresh the display no matter how you try to update window positions.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jabirulo
Quote:

PowerWB adds gadgets to window titlebar (and maybe menu options). just like on some porgrams add iconify gadget to intuition windows.

What it will be nice is to SetFunction/Method and add a (toolbar/speedbar) gadget/object to WB windows only (like powerWB) just below the window titlebar.

Yeah, tested PowerWB : on os4 it's crap, badly looking, badly centered, low colors, and no toolbar about which we talk about indeed, just a gadgets.

And yeah, what you say is what we talk about : we need tiny simple clean tasty looking aiss based toolbar right below the window titlebar, which is integrated well and fast, without strange issues, so it will feels like it real workbench (which is possible only via patching, just like in dopus5)

@TSK
Quote:

Patching any OpenWindow routines is useless obviously.

If you want to do everything fast and as best as possible in terms of integration to the OS, without having the source code of workbnech, then the only way is to do patching via SetMethod(). Dopus5 doing exactly this when running in workbenh replacement mode: it patch necessary functions of workbnech itself, as well as OpenWindowTagList() (not pure OpenWindow). And everything were clean and fast even on old classic amigas (no issues with CPU power or anything of that sort, no worry about timer divices, no strange timing issues)

Quote:

Any this kind of a utility as a dirty hack. It would be the best if Hyperion's AmigaOS developers could improve the Workbench itself!

Like everyone didn't know it :) Talking obvious is pointless , because we all know the situation. But if we want to update workbench by hacks a bit, then be it. The ones who want can use it. The ones who do not want, can not use it.

Quote:

We can find struct Window memory pointers to WB windows by other means and then add more gadgets to them.

Right, and meet with the same kind of issues like timing, wrong connection to the window, different problems when themes changed and so on :)

Edited by kas1e on 2023/11/15 6:27:39
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
For DrawerGenie, I had planned to use SetFunction() to detect all windows opening with the WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW and open a toolbar for each, but I couldn't get it to work properly in Blitz so I left it out. To get the patch to work, I might just write the patch itself in C and run it from the Blitz parent program to get it going.

Integrating fully into the actual fabric of the Workbench window (as opposed to window border buttons) would be a massive patch, and I've tried to avoid that wherever possible. Instead, it remembers the struct of each relevant window and polls them to check if they've moved. It's not ideal, but it works reasonably well, and while it lags the windows, it's fast enough for classic use. It also respects window border widths so as to align neatly with the border.

I haven't had the time to do any debugging on OS4 yet, but from the description I suspect it's simply a problem with the GTGZZ positioning flag that means the gadgets end up beyond the visible window borders. Odd that it happens like that, but I can detect OS4 and compensate easily.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@All
Cooking up this for now:

#include <stddef.h>

#include <proto/exec.h>
#include <proto/wb.h>
#include <proto/intuition.h>
#include <intuition/intuition.h>

struct Window* (*oldFunc)(struct NewWindow *, struct TagItem *);

struct WindownewFunc(struct NewWindow *Windowstruct TagItem *Taglist) {    

IExec->DebugPrintF("OpenWindwoTagList() patched\n");

// check if NewWindow->Flags structure had WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW set:    

if ( Window->Flags WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW) {

/* WB window */

IExec->DebugPrintF("WB window !\n");        
    } else {

/* other window */

IExec->DebugPrintF("Non WB window!\n");        
    }

return (
struct Window *)oldFunc(Window,Taglist);
}

int main()
{

IExec->Forbid();

oldFunc IExec->SetMethod((struct Interface *)IIntuitionoffsetof(struct IntuitionIFaceOpenWindowTagList), newFunc);    

IExec->Permit();

}

Patch installs fine, when i click on disk icon and open wb window, i do have on serial "OpenWindwoTagList() patched" words, no crashes after, window opens fine, but then it can't detect if it WB window or not, i just had always "Non WB window" on serial.

Can anyone spot some obvious mistake in this simple test case ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
Can anyone spot some obvious mistake in this simple test case ?
Current software usually doesn't use the ancient AmigaOS 1.x struct NewWindow, incl. NewWindow->Flags, but since AmigaOS 2.0 already tags instead. NewWindow may even be NULL in OpenWindowTag(s|List)() making your code crash.
Search in the Taglist for WA_WBenchWindow, TRUE, for example using IUtility->FindTagItem(WA_WBenchWindow, Taglist).

Additionally your program should crash since it exits, is unloaded and the newFunc() code no longer exists. Add IExec->Wait(0) after IExec->Permit() to make sure it wont exit and it's code isn't unloaded.

Edited by joerg on 2023/11/15 16:01:43
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Offtopic: It's such a shame that you don't code for os4 anymore. You obviously know a lot about os4 and its internals.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Tried the same, but no idea what flags do use WB windows.

Anyway try this one (source included), little test I didi it only shows (serial output) WB windows, other program/notify are skipped:

http://jabirulo.byethost13.com/temp/testSetMethod.7z

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Javier
I see you use almost the way how Joerg suggest: utility's TagItems functions (just in your case its NextTagItem(), and Joerg suggest just FindTagItem). And i see you have tried 2 ways:
check on WA_WBenchWindow, TRUE and check on WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW, but both seems not works ? I.e. patching of OpenWindwoTagList surely works, just not detection of the WB window ?

Quote:

Anyway try this one (source included), little test I didi it only shows (serial output) WB windows, other program/notify are skipped:

That only because workbench's opening of dirs use OpenWindowTagList() while most of current app do not, so, you see it only in WB windowses opening, but it just for all OpenWindowTagList().. At least i checked to uncomment both parts in your source to check on both ways, and they both show no printfs about wb windowses being detected.

@Joerg

Thanks! Modified code, but it still return "non wb window" for wb window, see:

#include <stddef.h>

#include <proto/exec.h>
#include <proto/wb.h>
#include <proto/utility.h>

struct Window* (*oldFunc)(struct NewWindow *, struct TagItem *);

struct WindownewFunc(struct NewWindow *Windowstruct TagItem *Taglist) {    

IExec->DebugPrintF("OpenWindwoTagList() patched\n");

struct TagItem *tag;

if (
tag IUtility->FindTagItem(WA_WBenchWindowTaglist))
    {

IExec->DebugPrintF("WB window !\n");        
    } else {

IExec->DebugPrintF("Non WB window!\n");                
    }

return (
struct Window *)oldFunc(Window,Taglist);
}

int main()
{        

IExec->Forbid();

oldFunc IExec->SetMethod((struct Interface *)IIntuitionoffsetof(struct IntuitionIFaceOpenWindowTagList), newFunc);    

IExec->Permit();

IExec->Wait(0);
}

Javier also tried to check on WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW, this also fail..

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Since I never got that far, I can't be sure... But is it possible that that tag is only set *after* the window is opened?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

yes, but did you notice that only WB windows show a (new)window pointer?
If you open other program it doesn't trigger (New)Window pointer.
So maybe there is some "way" to AddGadget to such (new)window, after last gadget of such window:

struct Gadget *ngad;

int32 i;

IExec->DebugPrintF("0x%08lx (WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW)\n",newWin->Flags&WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW);

ngad newWin->FirstGadget;

1;
    while(
ngad) {

IExec->DebugPrintF("Gad_#%02ld = 0x%08lx\n",i++,ngad);

ngad ngad->NextGadget;
    }

example opening WB RAM Disk:
[NEW]OpenWindowTagList(): win=0x600668d0
L= 50 T= 50
W= 481 H= 292
Flags = 0x0200107f
0x02000000 (WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW)
Gad_#01 = 0x6006691e
Gad_#02 = 0x6006694a
Gad_#03 = 0x60066976
Gad_#04 = 0x600669a2
Gad_#05 = 0x600669ce
Gad_#06 = 0x600669fa
ti_Tag = 0x8000007f -> WA_BackFill : 0x5fed9588
ti_Tag = 0x80000098 -> WA_PointerDelay : 0x00000001
ti_Tag = 0x8000006f -> WA_ScreenTitle : 0x6ff2233f
ti_Tag = 0x80000093 -> WA_NewLookMenus : 0x00000001
ti_Tag = 0x80000090 -> WA_AutoAdjust : 0x00000001
ti_Tag = 0x80000092 -> WA_MenuHelp : 0x00000001
ti_Tag = 0x800000ab -> WA_AlphaClips : 0x00000018
ti_Tag = 0x800000a6 -> WA_GrabFocus : 0x00000001

chekcing with ranger such gadgets are Bool/Prop-gadgets.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Even if you guys manage to add your own gadgets to a window, remember that any input events will then go to Workbench and not your program. You'll have to find the used msg port and read events for your gadgets from there without removing any messages because WB needs to get its messages to function correctly.

I found in my tests that even Notepad had the WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW set.

I tried to read tag list in the patched OpenWindow... but found bogus tags only.

Also if you'll do anything in your patched OpenWindow... before calling the original function, Workbench will crash eventually and at random for a reason or another. You'll have to call the original function immediately in the beginning of your function to prevent WB crashing.

@kas1e
Restore the original function pointer to Intuition before quitting your program. Otherwise Intuition will stay broken. Or was the idea that your program won't ever quit.

@jabirulo
It's interesting to see the tag list you found.

@thread
We have many features in context menus already so is this WB toolbar really that much necessary ?

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Javier
Quote:

yes, but did you notice that only WB windows show a (new)window pointer?

All i have when open let's say RAM DISK is:

[NEW]OpenWindowTagList(): win=0x662BCBC0
                          L
117  T=  38
                          W
642  H751
ti_Tag 
0x8000007F ->            WA_BackFill 0x67A94588
ti_Tag 
0x80000098 ->        WA_PointerDelay 0x00000001
ti_Tag 
0x8000006F ->         WA_ScreenTitle 0x6FF17EFF
ti_Tag 
0x80000093 ->        WA_NewLookMenus 0x00000001
ti_Tag 
0x80000090 ->          WA_AutoAdjust 0x00000001
ti_Tag 
0x80000092 ->            WA_MenuHelp 0x00000001
ti_Tag 
0x800000AB ->          WA_AlphaClips 0x00000018
ti_Tag 
0x800000A6 ->           WA_GrabFocus 0x00000001

So far if i understand code correctly, you show all the flags which set for given window, and there are nothing about workbench..

I checked via Ranger and Sysmon, and yes, Width/Height/Left/Top is surely for Ram Disk's window, same values i have in both Ranger and Sysmon as in our output on Serial.

Through, i can't see if the Tags we got, are the same Tags of ram disk..

Do we have any system-utility which printf for us a flags/tags/etc of a given window ? (so we can compare to know what flags have said RamDisk window when opened).

As for exactly new window pointer: what you mean ? that the original pointer is different, and then we have another one ? (i just didn't see on serial values about older pointer). Or you mean that we have at all the output ? But then, it's seems that only workbench still use OpenWindowTagList(), and no other current programs which open windowses use it (that can be reason why we didn't see from other windowses such an output).

And i don't get from where you got this:

Flags 0x0200107f
0x02000000 
(WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW)
Gad_#01 = 0x6006691e
Gad_#02 = 0x6006694a
Gad_#03 = 0x60066976
Gad_#04 = 0x600669a2
Gad_#05 = 0x600669ce
Gad_#06 = 0x600669fa

Probably you update your code a bit already ? But then, what this "0x02000000 (WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW)" mean ? That you can find this flag on WB windowses, just not via FindTags/NexTags ?

I also tried this simple test case:

#include <proto/dos.h>

int main() {

struct Window *myWindow;

struct TagItem wintags[] = {  

WA_Left20WA_Top20,

WA_Width200WA_Height150,

WA_IDCMPIDCMP_CLOSEWINDOW,

WA_FlagsWFLG_SIZEGADGET WFLG_DRAGBAR WFLG_DEPTHGADGET    WFLG_CLOSEGADGET WFLG_ACTIVATE,

WA_Title"My Window",

WA_PubScreenName"Workbench",

TAG_DONE

};

myWindow IIntuition->OpenWindowTagList(NULL, &wintags[0]);

IDOS->Delay(200);

if (
myWindow
   {

IIntuition->CloseWindow(myWindow);
   }
   return(
0);

}

And strange, but when i run your test-case patching program, and then this one, i didn't see output from serial about patched function... why ?:) Don't we patch OpenWindwoTagList() globally ? Or you add some check which prevent output from any other OpenWindowTagList() calls somehow ?

Because when i run this my test case i post above, i can see that i have patched all OpenWindowTagList() globally, and this openwindowtaglist() binary do printf on serial about too.

@TKS
Quote:

Restore the original function pointer to Intuition before quitting your program.

This test case is for tests, to find the Wb windowses only, nothing else for now

Quote:

We have many features in context menus already, so is this WB toolbar really that much necessary ?

Not for you seems so, but for some of us who love to see not empty workbench window, but to have the ability to _choose_ what we want and what we don't :)

Edited by kas1e on 2023/11/16 7:18:08
Edited by kas1e on 2023/11/16 7:19:42
Edited by kas1e on 2023/11/16 8:04:04
Edited by kas1e on 2023/11/16 8:05:47
Edited by kas1e on 2023/11/16 8:09:05
Edited by kas1e on 2023/11/16 8:10:48
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Just a thought: Since the patch is presumably called in the context of whatever task/process is opening the window, could you just call FindTask(NULL) and then check the task's name to see if it's the Workbench?

Of course, Workbench opens other kinds of windows too, such as the About window and various requesters. But those don't seem to have WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW set.

Quote:
I found in my tests that even Notepad had the WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW set.

So does UnArc. And MultiView. And the AmiDock window. And some others I tried. Clearly this flag alone isn't sufficient for determining if a window belongs to the Workbench or not. But maybe the flag and also checking for the Workbench task would work.

(On the other hand, it looks like the Workbench backdrop window also has WFLG_WBENCHWINDOW set, and it presumably is opened by Workbench.)

Quote:
We have many features in context menus already so is this WB toolbar really that much necessary ?

I had that thought too, but if others feel differently, I support their enthusiasm for figuring out another way of doing things. And if a technique for adding a file manager toolbar to a Workbench window can be worked out, the same technique might be used to add other functionality as well.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mr2

Sorry I don’t get it, why not simply use Opus5 instead.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
Do we have any system-utility which printf for us a flags/tags/etc of a given window ? (so we can compare to know what flags have said RamDisk window when opened).

Scout can do that.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »