Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
30 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 30

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 72 »
Re: What the fastest possible x64 emulation way of OS4 today ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Now I have a simple curiosity to answer.
which I haven't mentioned in previous posts.

Now I try to mount the CoffinOS .img file directly. (latest R62 version).
And using it with "E-UAE SDL" is doing a direct install like you do with WinUAE

Because there is a unique thing that happens this does not happen with WinUAE.

But if you use qemu once you select "uaegfx" inside E-UAE
starts a script that deletes the "uaegfx" file and in fact at each reboot the "uaegfx" mode disappears
Exactly the file in Devs/Monitor/uaegfx is deleted
This "BUG" doesn't appear to be in older versions of CoffinOS

Seeing is believing

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro

how do i download patches ?
does it ask me for access ?

Thank you

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
@joergQuote:
UW-SCSI on real hardware is faster than PATA, but slower than SATA. On emulation there is probably no difference between the 3.

Qemu is oriented as close as possible to real hardware, it could well bring some speed, since it is untested remains only a guess.
Since the SCSI protocol is much more complex than the ATA one it should be slower in emulation. Not sure, but emulated NVMe might be faster than emulated SATA.
In any case the speed of emulated drives doesn't only depend on the hardware emulation in QEmu, but on the AmigaOS 4.x driver implementation as well, for example peg2ide.device for PATA, lsi53c8xx.device for SCSI, sii3114ide.device for SATA, nvme.device for NVMe, trackdisk.device for floppies (probably even the fastest way, but limited to 1804 KB virtual drives (HD Amiga floppies are only 1760 KB with the standard 80 tracks, but at least 82 tracks were supported by the original trackdisk.device, up to 1968 KB are possible with a replacement driver like diskspare.device)), etc.

If it's easily possible to access host files from within the emulated AmigaOS 4.1 something like filemount or diskimage.device should be the fastest method, but you can't boot from such emulated drives.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joergQuote:
joerg wrote:@Maijestro
Quote:
@joergQuote:
UW-SCSI on real hardware is faster than PATA, but slower than SATA. On emulation there is probably no difference between the 3.

Qemu is oriented as close as possible to real hardware, it could well bring some speed, since it is untested remains only a guess.
Since the SCSI protocol is much more complex than the ATA one it should be slower in emulation. Not sure, but emulated NVMe might be faster than emulated SATA.
In any case the speed of emulated drives doesn't only depend on the hardware emulation in QEmu, but on the AmigaOS 4.x driver implementation as well, for example peg2ide.device for PATA, lsi53c8xx.device for SCSI, sii3114ide.device for SATA, nvme.device for NVMe

Qemu supports NVMe I could do a par tests, as I have seen there is also a driver on Os4depot for AmigaOs4.1. From a NVMe harddisk AmigaOs4.1 can be booted normally under real hardware ?

Thanks for the explanation

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@whiteQuote:
white wrote:@Maijestro

how do i download patches ?
does it ask me for access ?

Thank you

To test patches I recommend to use the Qemu git master source. Here you can find an overview of the submitted patches.

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/qemu-devel/list/

If you want to try a patch, just click on the patch itself and download the mbox (top right) file with save as.

with "git am /path/to/mbox" you add the patch, after applying patches you have to recompile for the changes to take effect.

Example:

cd QemuGITMaster
QemuGITMaster git am /path/to/mbox

BALATON Zoltan has also submitted some patches today. You can see this by clicking on the link above. Behind each patch is also the submitter.

Edited by Maijestro on 2023/5/30 17:54:08
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/5/30 17:54:36
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/5/30 18:06:28
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MaijestroQuote:
From a NVMe harddisk AmigaOs4.1 can be booted normally under real hardware ?

No, as it requires an updated firmware to boot from NVMe. It can be used as an extra storage device.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@derfsQuote:
derfs wrote:@MaijestroQuote:
From a NVMe harddisk AmigaOs4.1 can be booted normally under real hardware ?

No, as it requires an updated firmware to boot from NVMe. It can be used as an extra storage device.

Ok thank you for the information

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

With the line:

-drive if=none,id=hd1,file=/Volumes/EXTREME\ SSD/hd2.img,format=raw -device ide-hd,drive=hd1,bus=ide.1

I was able to add a second HD without problems, set it up with MediaToolBox under AmigaOs4.1 also without problems...FileSystem SFS and then format. I am not sure if you can help but the additional HD is not automatically registered under AmigaOs4.1 although I did that in MediaToolBox. I can only use this HD with System/Mounter by registering it.

Is there another solution for automatic logon under AmigaOs4.1

I made a short video so you can understand it better.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MaijestroQuote:

Is there another solution for automatic logon under AmigaOs4.1

Check your MediaToolBox settings again, making sure its set to auto-mount.

Can you also post the 2 QEMU lines you have for your hard drives?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Maijestro
>The StartScript already works very well, but how did you include the boot command "boot hd:0 amigaboot.of", I can't get everything to start automatically.

You must spawn the script you created in expect. This means that you must first call up expect and in it your script, which will "talk" to it.
Here is an example:

----
#!/opt/homebrew/bin/expect -f

cd /Users/marekus/Documents/Qamiga
set timeout -1
set qemu_cmd "boot hd:0 amigaboot.of"

spawn ./qemu_run

expect -exact "entering main read/eval loop"
send -- "$qemu_cmd\r"
expect -exact "Please choose a configuration"
send -- "1\r"
expect eof
---

To put this in Automator on macos
"qemu_run" is your Qemu run script.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@derfs
>Can you also post the 2 QEMU lines you have for your hard drives?

Pegasos 2 have:
HDD controller:
two ATA 100 channels
Up to four IDE devices can be connected

therefore ... you have the possibility to connect 4 devices. two masters, two slaves and the firmware will detect them

e.g.
-device ide-hd,drive=hd-drive,bus=ide.0 -drive file=hd1.img,if=none,id=hd-drive,format=raw -device ide-hd,drive=hd-drive2,bus=ide.1 -drive file=hd2.img,if=none,id=hd-drive2,format=raw

In addition, you can give just "-cdrom my.iso" without specifying additional data, where it will be automatically connected.

--
channel 0 unit 0 : ata | QEMU HARDDISK | 2.5+
ATA device not present or not responding
channel 1 unit 0 : atapi | QEMU DVD-ROM | 2.5+
channel 1 unit 1 : ata | QEMU HARDDISK | 2.5+
--

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
I was able to add a second HD without problems, set it up with MediaToolBox under AmigaOs4.1 also without problems...FileSystem SFS and then format. I am not sure if you can help but the additional HD is not automatically registered under AmigaOs4.1 although I did that in MediaToolBox. I can only use this HD with System/Mounter by registering it.
Check your first drive in MediaToolBox, it should have some "modified" marker and needs to be updated.
To speed up booting/mounting partitions by not searching for hds/partitions on empty ports/units, which can take a lot of time especially with SCSI, the RDB (AmigaOS partition table standard) includes a "last unit" flag. When you set up the first HD with MediaToolBox it was the only, and therefore last, HD drive on the emulated PATA controller and this flag should have been set, but now with the 2nd HD installed it has to be cleared.
Using "bus=ide.0" (currently unused primary slave) instead of "bus=ide.1" (secondary slave with the ATAPI cd/dvd as secondary master) should be a little bit faster as well, since only the 2 HD drives have to be checked for mounting partitions, instead of the currently 4 drives (primary master HD, primary slave unused, secondary master CD/DVD, secondary slave HD).

Edited by joerg on 2023/5/31 6:18:57
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joergQuote:
Quote:
Check your first drive in MediaToolBox, it should have some "modified" marker and needs to be updated.
To speed up booting/mounting partitions by not searching for hds/partitions on empty ports/units, which can take a lot of time especially with SCSI, the RDB (AmigaOS partition table standard) includes a "last unit" flag. When you set up the first HD with MediaToolBox it was the only, and therefore last, HD drive on the emulated PATA controller and this flag should have been set, but now with the 2nd HD installed it has to be cleared.

Thank you very much for the explanation, it works perfectly and the 2nd HD is automatically registered under AmigaOs4.1 after removing "last unit" in the MediaToolBox. Again one more problem solved, I am impressed, they are good

Quote:
"bus=ide.0" (currently unused primary slave) instead of "bus=ide.1" (secondary slave with the ATAPI cd/dvd as secondary master) should be a little bit faster as well, since only the 2 HD drives have to be checked for mounting partitions, instead of the currently 4 drives (primary master HD, primary slave unused, secondary master CD/DVD, secondary slave HD).

I haven't quite figured that out yet, but these are the two lines I use for my 2 virtual disks.So should I use ide.1 first for AmigaOs4.1 boot HD and use ide.0 for an additional HD?

-drive if=none,id=hd,file=/Users/reneengel/AmigaOs4.1hd1SFS.img,format=raw -device ide-hd,drive=hd,bus=ide.0
-drive if=none,id=hd1,file=/Volumes/EXTREME\ SSD/hd2.img,format=raw -device ide-hd,drive=hd1,bus=ide.1

That should be ok or not?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
I haven't quite figured that out yet, but these are the two lines I use for my 2 virtual disks.So should I use ide.1 first for AmigaOs4.1 boot HD and use ide.0 for an additional HD?
Each PATA bus supports 2 drives, master and slave.
On real hardware it would boot several seconds faster if you use ide.0 for both HDs, bus 0 master and bus 0 slave, instead of bus 0 master and bus 1 slave like now (no ATA command timeout when searching for a drive on the unused bus 0 slave, and no check if the bus 1 master CD/DVD drive is a HD), but on emulation there may be no difference.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@smarkusgQuote:
smarkusg wrote:@Maijestro
>The StartScript already works very well, but how did you include the boot command "boot hd:0 amigaboot.of", I can't get everything to start automatically.

You must spawn the script you created in expect. This means that you must first call up expect and in it your script, which will "talk" to it.
Here is an example:

----
#!/opt/homebrew/bin/expect -f

cd /Users/marekus/Documents/Qamiga
set timeout -1
set qemu_cmd "boot hd:0 amigaboot.of"

spawn ./qemu_run

expect -exact "entering main read/eval loop"
send -- "$qemu_cmd\r"
expect -exact "Please choose a configuration"
send -- "1\r"
expect eof
---

To put this in Automator on macos
"qemu_run" is your Qemu run script.

Could you send me the script, I don't understand it.?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joergQuote:
Quote:
Each PATA bus supports 2 drives, master and slave.
On real hardware it would boot several seconds faster if you use ide.0 for both HDs, bus 0 master and bus 0 slave, instead of bus 0 master and bus 1 slave like now (no ATA command timeout when searching for a drive on the unused bus 0 slave, and no check if the bus 1 master CD/DVD drive is a HD), but on emulation there may be no difference.

Ok now I understand it under real hardware the hard disks should be on ide.0 Bus0 as master and slave.

A configuration of ide.0 Bus0 harddisk 1 and ide.1 Bus1 harddisk 2 would slow down the booting because the ports on which the harddisks are connected have to be searched first.

Under Qemu or in the emulation this will probably not play a role. Thanks for the explanation anyway.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

Thanks for this valuable bit of information. Media Toolbox has no popup help, so there's no indication what the 'Last ID' control does. Given that information, I can guess what the 'Last LUN' control does. But what about 'Last TID'?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Maijestro
>Could you send me the script, I don't understand it.?

I will try to explain to you how this solution works under Linux.
Here you have a screen shot

https://imgur.com/YzH6sZK

You have to create the script yourself depending on where you have placed the files.
In (KDE,GNOME...) it is sufficient to make a ".desktop" file in addition to this to make it more elegant, on MacOs the easiest way is to use Automator (After checking, add the script "expect_run_qemu" in the program wizard).

There are certainly simpler methods and other programs than "expect" for this type of task.
The advantage is that you have the option to put several qemu run modes in "qemu_run". You deselect the one you currently need.

I hope I helped

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@msteed
Quote:
Thanks for this valuable bit of information. Media Toolbox has no popup help, so there's no indication what the 'Last ID' control does. Given that information, I can guess what the 'Last LUN' control does. But what about 'Last TID'?
Information about the RDB is for example in the devices/hardblocks.h include file.
IIRC 'ID' is the AmigaOS device unit number, nothing else is used for PATA, SATA, NVMe, etc., any more.
LUN and TID were only used on SCSI. Some scsi device drivers did support more than one controller, and SCSI devices could support more than one drive, for example 2 CD drives in one device. There is a formula in the devices/scsidisk.h include file to calculate the AmigaOS unit numbers for SCSI.
Some device drivers other than SCSI do support multiple controllers as well, for example sii3114ide.device, but instead of the complex method which was used for SCSI it's simply using AmigaOS device unit numbers 0-3 for the first, 4-7 for the 2nd, 8-11 for the 3rd controller, etc.

Edited by joerg on 2023/6/2 15:29:22
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Ok, now E-Uae works with CoffinOS R62
in SDL version with g3 cpu.
I did some changes in the startup-sequence it all switched to sfs/02 on hard disk.
As soon as I have time I will improve it for my needs by removing some superfluous things.

I find E-UAE an important program to use with 4.1.
The resolution is 800x600x16bit uaegfx.

I've tested everything now.

I just miss AmiCygnix I just can't get it to work.
If anyone has tried with qemu it is he who wants to give me a hand.

He is welcome

I've been a bit lazy lately in making videos

I saw that qemu version 8.0.2 is out
I was wondering if it contains the new patches posted by ZBalaton?

https://youtu.be/ziSVvhICv00

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 72 »