Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: Soooo many problems with Roadshow
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

xenic wrote:
@daveyw
Well, I didn't get my SAM order cancelled and received it today. I'm worse off than you because I can't get online at all using the same modem that works on my ?A1. The modem establishes a connection but Dialer can't login to my ISP. It just times out with an error message about "Resource allocation failure" and timing out. I'd almost be happy if the problem were just with uploading large messages.

Try adding something into the init string to disable using DTR/CTR for handshaking. You'll have to look it up in the modem's manual. The SAM Flex has a 4-wire serial port, i.e., TX, RX, RTS, and CTS. You could also try switching to XON/XOFF handshaking, which also requires a change to the init string.

Quote:
Even worse, the system is accessing the modem during UBoot initialization and the modem starts sending tones. If I wait until the system is booted to turn on the modem, I get a system freeze (lockup) about 1 time in 3.

UBoot initially outputs some information on the serial port. This happens with A1s too, although maybe it goes to a different serial port from the one that you use for your modem with your uA1. It's strange that your modem responds to it, because there are no modem commands in there. You could try changing the UBoot serial baud rate to something different from your modem's default.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans
Quote:
Try adding something into the init string to disable using DTR/CTR for handshaking. You'll have to look it up in the modem's manual. The SAM Flex has a 4-wire serial port, i.e., TX, RX, RTS, and CTS. You could also try switching to XON/XOFF handshaking, which also requires a change to the init string.

I wish I had been aware of that before I purchased the SAM.
I'll check my manuals for an init command to disable DTR/CTR but I always thought that was a requirement for 56k modems. If I can't get it working the system is sort of useless to me.

Quote:
UBoot initially outputs some information on the serial port.

That didn't seem to be the case on my ?A1 as of OS4 Final. It's possible that the reboots occurred after a failed connection attempt and with the modem init remaining active. If there is no DTR/CTR then the modem would have no way of knowing that the computer has severed the computer/modem for a reboot. It would probably continue to accept data and commands. That's really bad.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Is this Sam your only computer? Have you considered network sharing via another machine? Or perhaps using an old PC as a router?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues
Quote:
Is this Sam your only computer? Have you considered network sharing via another machine? Or perhaps using an old PC as a router?

No, I have a ?A1 but hadn't planned on networking the SAM to my ?A1 for a dialup connection when I bought the SAM. That might be an interresting experimant though

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans
Quote:

I switched to my other modem (Zoom) which is newer and has a lot more indicator lights. It shows DTR on whenever the computer is turned on. Maybe the DTR line is just permanently on and not controlable by the serial chip. I have come up with an init string that appears to work. It sets the modem to ignore DTR and use XON/XOFF flow control as you suggested. That kind of flow control has been out of use for 10+ years but maybe it's usable with todays much faster computers. So far it seems slower than the same modem was with my ?A1 with RTS/CTS flow control but I'll have to do some testing to be sure. The connection works for Internet access and receiving small emails. I'll have to do more testing to determine if it works for uploading too.
EDIT: After more testing I discovered that I have the same problem (using XON/XOFF handshaking) as I did with OS4 Final and OS4.1 a1serial.device. Large emails or FTP uploads fail. Lowering the serial to modem speed (DTE speed) to about 38,400 seems to work and I seem to be able to upload some large messages & data (slowly). Standard recommendations for DTE speed is twice the modem connection speed. Since a v.92 56k modem is capable of 56,000 bps, the recommended DTE speed would be 115.200 (which works on my ?A1 with OS4Pre4 a1serial.device). I'm somewhat disappointed with my new SAM Flex serial performance.

Edited by xenic on 2009/5/24 16:07:17
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3)