Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: OS4 Install in 25 mins ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans
DMA was not enabled (by default) on my Sam440, and other people report the same, so probably it is the same with all Sam440s (but can't speak about the "second batch").

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@angelheart

Chances are the 25 minutes estimate in that article also includes the time it took to read and follow the instructions, which can vary greatly from one user to the next.

For example, it took me two hours to update my beta system to 4.1, but that's because I copied everything manually in order to check the date, size and version of every single file to avoid overwriting newer files.

Imaging can't be used for a fresh install because the destination partition would have to be set to the exact size, filesystem and block size as the one in the image, but since there's no tool to resize the partition nor change the FS on the fly, it's better to let the user take his pick.

The best way to speed up the copy procedure is making sure both drives are using UDMA and enabling delayed flushing on the destination partition if it's using FFS2.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AlexC

Quote:

The best way to speed up the copy procedure is making sure both drives are using UDMA and enabling delayed flushing on the destination partition if it's using FFS2.

... or, not use FFS2 at all. SFS and JXFS are much faster.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)