Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

jabirulo, nbache, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OS4.1 installation issues
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi all,

I didn't find no thread on the subject so here it is.

Some cosmetic issues I found so far:

1. When I boot the cd and reach the locale prefs window, if I don't wait enough time and proceed, the time prefs doesn't appear and I 'm stuck with empty screen and WB won't load.
If I stay enought time with locale window opened (minute or so), the time prefs appears by itself and when finished with both, all's well).

2. If use sfs for OS4.1 sys: partition and set it to be case-sensitive, part of the assigns end up legs in the air (dirs are capitalized, assign defaults are not).

3. my startup-sequence lacked "C:MakeDir RAM:t" line (I did fresh install).

4.I have swap setup as per docs and can't see it in WB title I set up to do so (doesn't "virtual" stand for "swap"?).
Copying larger-than-free-ram file into ram: works though.

5. Manual is misleading a bit on page 21, the big fat warning shoul be one paragraph up (before SLB paragraph, and RDB and SLB paragraphs should be "more decoupled", currently it can be understood that installation of SLB may destroy all data)

Besides that all's well:

1. Luckily my radeon 9000 appeared to be 128MB version (according to video ram reported in WB title), so compositing works without running low on video ram.

2. Migration went easily

* Appendded the old user-startup

* Copied the relevant scripts I launch at boot to their location in s:

* Did "copy norep" on old c:, l:, libs:, devs:

* Repopulated WBStartup

and viola!

Jack

Edited by Jack on 2008/9/22 21:22:47
Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Re: OS4.1 installation issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
(doesn't "virtual" stand for "swap"?).

No, virtual memory is just none linear memory,

if memory looks like this on classic system:

ooo***ooo****ooooo**

'o' is free RAM, and '*' is Used.
if you need 6 blocks or 'oooooo' you where not able to find memory needed on AmigaOS3 becouse larges memory is 5 blocks only, but on AmigaOS4.0, can reorganize memory so that all free blocks can be used.

Swap is used when you run out free RAM, in this state AmigaOS3 crashes or programs stops working, but on on AmigaOS4 frees memory by moving Virtual memory to SWAP when needed.

Where few programs uses virtual memory, it can be where useful if not misused.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Can I display swap usage in WB title?
I guess it is not possible to disable swap on the fly.

Meanwhile the ride is very pleasant, PTP worked like charm, truly impressive

Now I'll try to hook the IRiver mp3 player up (didn't work in OS4.0)

Edit: IRiver is reported as "mass storage", subclass 6. Is there something that can be done to force it to be mounted as mass storage?
No entry in usb massstorages window.

TIA
Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

And the local day light saving times are wrong (the switch back from summer is on 16 Septermber instead of somewhen on 5 October.

Resized Image
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Repopulated WBStartup

and viola!

Who the hell is viola?

...and why did you populate her?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Viola is just there when all's well and working
What didn't work are the leading white spaces obviosly gettig lost when shown in the browser. The lines abve viola should have been indented to the right...

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

And the local day light saving times are wrong (the switch back from summer is on 16 Septermber instead of somewhen on 5 October

Ok, found prefs/timezone. For some reason by default it picked up Israel 2007 setting instead of 2008 (first occurence?). disabling coupling with locale prefs and selectig 2008 cures the thing.
And fonts do not follow the localization in timezone prefs (the encoding is wrong)

Resized Image
Go to top

Register To Post