Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

failing to backup with amidvd
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi,

I'm trying to backup here using the same procedure I managed to back up several months earlier:

cd sys:
makelink soft programs programs:
add "assing programs: sys:programs" to the head of s:user-startup

The launched dvd, checked both bootable+uboot, selected image file (no "on the fly") and selected "sys:" for source
After resolving some dead links (in dir containing backed up sdk I created when installing Cubuc IDE)
amidvd stopped finding dead links but waiths forever (no cpu activity, no busy pointer, just stuck)

Any ideas?
Am I doing something I shouldn't with the current amidvd?

TIA
Jack

Edit: fixed the typo in "makelink" line

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Re: failing to backup with amidvd
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
cd sys:
makelink soft programs programs:
add "assing programs: sys:programs" to the head of s:user-startup

The launched dvd, checked both bootable+uboot, selected image file (no "on the fly") and selected "sys:" for source
After resolving some dead links (in dir containing backed up sdk I created when installing Cubuc IDE)
amidvd stopped finding dead links but waiths forever (no cpu activity, no busy pointer, just stuck)

Any ideas?
In AmiDVD should you not have selected "programs:" or "sys:programs" rather than "sys"

Note; I presume 'assing' is a typo for assign.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

Yep "assign"

I want to burn sys: that includes sys:programs pointing to programs: and sys:work pointining work: as one huge live backup.
Now I recall that I didn't made such a backup previous time. There was a sys: + a dir containing archives of programs: and work:.
Booting from the cd allowed me to access the programs: on the HD.
Now I thought of making a "total" live backup (it fits on one media) without copying over the data into a sigle dir.

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Bump

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Nobody here backs up with cross-volume softlinks?
Amidvd docs suggest that it is possible.
Anyone?
Joerg?

Resized Image
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
Nobody here backs up with cross-volume softlinks?
Amidvd docs suggest that it is possible.
Anyone?
Joerg?
It's working here. When does it stop, after selecting the source directory or while creating the image file? Which file system(s) is/are used on the 2 partitions?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

When does it stop, after selecting the source directory or while creating the image file? Which file system(s) is/are used on the 2 partitions?

Filesystem: sfs (ot sfs2)

It starts scanning the selected source, and then there's no disk/cpu activity, then after 2 minutes or so, windows can't be scrolled and the freeze (no GR).
If mouse exits the AmiDVD window and enters it back it's pointer no longer busy.
No problems sere encountered when selecting image file, only selecting the source is followed by problem.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Just a thought. Have you tried this with "on the fly" option checked, to eliminate whether it is the image creation, or the writing that is at error?

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:
Just a thought. Have you tried this with "on the fly" option checked, to eliminate whether it is the image creation, or the writing that is at error?
It doesn't get that far.

@Jack
Please try if "list ALL source_directory >ram:list_output" works without problems and errors, for example check if there are unresolved soft links reported in the list output.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@swoop
It happens after selecting source dir

@joerg

Looks like there is a problem with some characters:

15.AOS4:> list ALL "" >ram:1
LIST: No information for "work/AmiCygnix/home/jack/.sylpheed-2.0/imapcache/imap.gmail.com/jackitg/[Gmail]".
LIST: object not found
15.AOS4:> list work/AmiCygnix/home/jack/.sylpheed-2.0/imapcache/imap.gmail.com/jackitg/[Gmail]
15.AOS4:> ls work/AmiCygnix/home/jack/.sylpheed-2.0/imapcache/imap.gmail.com/jackitg/[Gmail]
Drafts Sent Mail
15.AOS4:> ls -l work/AmiCygnix/home/jack/.sylpheed-2.0/imapcache/imap.gmail.com/jackitg/[Gmail]
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 79 Aug 15 01:33 work/AmiCygnix/home/jack/.sylpheed-2.0/imapcache/imap.gmail.com/jackitg/[Gmail] -> /work/AmiCygnix/home/jack/.sylpheed-2.0/imapcache/imap.gmail.com/jackitg/[Gmail]
15.AOS4:> list work/AmiCygnix/home/jack/.sylpheed-2.0/imapcache/imap.gmail.com/jackitg/[Gmail]/*
15.AOS4:> list work:AmiCygnix/home/jack/.sylpheed-2.0/imapcache/imap.gmail.com/jackitg/[Gmail]
15.AOS4:> ls -l /work/AmiCygnix/home/jack/.sylpheed-2.0/imapcache/imap.gmail.com/jackitg/[Gmail]
total 0
drwx------ 2 root wheel 0 Aug 3 17:25 Drafts
drwx------ 2 root wheel 0 Jul 22 21:48 Sent Mail

sys:work is a link to work:

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
bump....

Resized Image
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jack

It seems that AmiDVD and List use pattern matching on filenames they found - i dont see the point in doing this.

[ and ] characters are used by dos pattern matching and should not be used in filenames.

You have to use the ' character to neutralize the special meaning.

For example '#'? should only match the literal string "#?", but I cant get it working here. It seems to be broken.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
Looks like there is a problem with some characters:

15.AOS4:> list ALL "" >ram:1
LIST: No information for "work/AmiCygnix/home/jack/.sylpheed-2.0/imapcache/imap.gmail.com/jackitg/[Gmail]".
LIST: object not found
[...]
That directories with pattern chars don't work is a bug in C:list. AmiDVD doesn't have such a bug, if there are no other problems I don't know why it doesn't work.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Is there any option for version with debug info?
I thought I found a way to automate the backup, but I can't make it work

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top

Register To Post