Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
166 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 162

kas1e, Swisso, jarokuczi, skynet, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 21 »
Re: gcc 9 and 10
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

I don't know if the default for the AmigaOS 4.x port of strip was ever changed, but 15 years ago on AmigaOS 4.x only using "strip --strip-unneeded" worked.

It works as expected in adtools version, with all the flags, and even "--strip-unneeded-rel-relocs" works for us in adtools version.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@geennaam
Quote:
Strip -s works fine for me.
If it does, what else should be the problem in https://github.com/migthymax/binutils-gdb/issues/2 ?
Original "strip -s/--strip-all" removes all symbols, which of course can't work on AmigaOS and you have to use "strip --strip-unneeded" instead.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg
That issue report seems to apply to a cross compiler environment. I always use strip -s on my binaries and it indeed strips all symbols as far as possible. No idea why it can't work on amigaos. My binaries work just fine.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@geennaam
An AmigaOS 4.x executable without the "_start" symbol can't work.

It's something different for libraries, devices, etc., started by struct Resident instead, in case you are using "strip -s" for example on your nvme.device.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

I also use it on tools that come with my drivers. Like the hdmixer or Nvme diagnostics. So apparently strip -s strips all symbols that aren't strictly necessary from a functional pov.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@geennaam
Quote:

That issue report seems to apply to a cross compiler environment.

It's not related to crocc or not cross-compiler , it's a new issue with new binutils which we need to fix.

Current public adtool's "strip" from 2.32 binutils works fine (and always works fine) be it cross or not cross-compilers of course. Issue above are about _new_ binutitils, with this _new_ issue.

@joerg
Quote:

If it does, what else should be the problem in https://github.com/migthymax/binutils-gdb/issues/2 ?
Original "strip -s/--strip-all" removes all symbols, which of course can't work on AmigaOS and you have to use "strip --strip-unneeded" instead.

Issue is that this is new binutils, which changed in major and minor parts, and we just didn't patch things properly everywhere to make it works : that what we need now, to find what we do wrong, or what we not do which causing such _new_ issue with this _new_ binutils.

I.e. there no problems with adtools, and with strip from adtools. What i point out now, is _new_ binutils (not from adtools), with _new_ issue in "strip" command. We probably just didn't do something correctly.

I see that adtools have some patches for strip:
0006-Introduced-strip-unneeded-rel-relocs.patch
and
0007-Keep-symbols-for-stripped-sections.-This-is-importan.patch

Maybe this 0007 one is that one which should make it works.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
Try if using "strip --strip-unneeded" instead of just "strip" (= "strip -s/--strip-all") works with the new binutils.

Quote:
Maybe this 0007 one is that one which should make it works.
Both 0006 and 0007 should be required.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Joerg
Quote:

strip --strip-unneeded

Wow, that one works !

What did it mean ? That in adtools this just set to be as default behavior in strip ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
.text must not be writable.
If elf.library ignores it for code it may not be a problem, but if it doesn't and allocates the code in writable memory it's a problem.

Quote:
Read-only (.text, .rodata, ...) and writable (.sbss) sections mustn't be in the same segment.
Executable (.text) and non-executable (everything else) sections mustn't be in the same segment either.

Both shouldn't be a problem to be fixed. Could you open a or two issues on the github project.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Max
Quote:

Both shouldn't be a problem to be fixed. Could you open a or two issues on the github project.

I create 2 tickets on github about, so Joerg have no needs to worry. Through, if you read my next post there, it seems it was like this all the time on amigaos4, from the beginning.

Edited by kas1e on 2023/8/11 17:32:19
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Joerg

I build assembler test case (so just "as" and "ld" no "gcc" involved) , with binutils 2.14 from an old SDK, that what i have when i "readelf -e test_2_14":

ppc-amigaos-readelf -e test_2_14
ELF Header
:

Magic:   7f 45 4c 46 01 02 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Class:                             ELF32
  Data
:                              2's complement, big endian
  Version:                           1 (current)
  OS/ABI:                            UNIX - System V
  ABI Version:                       0
  Type:                              EXEC (Executable file)
  Machine:                           PowerPC
  Version:                           0x1
  Entry point address:               0x90
  Start of program headers:          52 (bytes into file)
  Start of section headers:          1468 (bytes into file)
  Flags:                             0x0
  Size of this header:               52 (bytes)
  Size of program headers:           32 (bytes)
  Number of program headers:         1
  Size of section headers:           40 (bytes)
  Number of section headers:         15
  Section header string table index: 12

Section Headers:
  [Nr] Name              Type            Addr     Off    Size   ES Flg Lk Inf Al
  [ 0]                   NULL            00000000 000000 000000 00      0   0  0
  [ 1] .text             PROGBITS        00000074 000074 00048c 00 WAX  0   0  4
  [ 2] .rela.text        RELA            00000000 000814 0002e8 0c     13   1  4
  [ 3] .rodata           PROGBITS        00000500 000500 000034 01 AMS  0   0  4
  [ 4] .__newlib_version PROGBITS        00000534 000534 000008 00   A  0   0  4
  [ 5] .sdata2           PROGBITS        0000053c 00053c 000000 00   A  0   0  4
  [ 6] .data             PROGBITS        0000053c 00053c 000000 00  WA  0   0  1
  [ 7] .ctors            PROGBITS        0000053c 00053c 000008 00  WA  0   0  4
  [ 8] .dtors            PROGBITS        00000544 000544 000008 00  WA  0   0  4
  [ 9] .sdata            PROGBITS        0000054c 00054c 000000 00  WA  0   0  4
  [10] .sbss             NOBITS          0000054c 00054c 000024 00  WA  0   0  4
  [11] .bss              NOBITS          00000570 00054c 000000 00  WA  0   0  1
  [12] .shstrtab         STRTAB          00000000 00054c 00006e 00      0   0  1
  [13] .symtab           SYMTAB          00000000 000afc 000240 10     14  16  4
  [14] .strtab           STRTAB          00000000 000d3c 0000c1 00      0   0  1
Key to Flags:
  W (write), A (alloc), X (execute), M (merge), S (strings), I (info),
  L (link order), O (extra OS processing required), G (group), T (TLS),
  C (compressed), x (unknown), o (OS specific), E (exclude),
  D (mbind), v (VLE), p (processor specific)

Program Headers:
  Type           Offset   VirtAddr   PhysAddr   FileSiz MemSiz  Flg Align
  LOAD           0x000074 0x00000074 0x00000074 0x004d8 0x004fc RWE 0x4

Section to Segment mapping:
  Segment Sections...
   00     .text .rodata .__newlib_version .sdata2 .data .ctors .dtors .sbss

As far as i can see, it was the same : .text were even back then marked as writable, and the same was about readonly and writable sections being in one segment, same as executable and non-executable sections being in one segment as well.

That with bintuils 2.14 , from 2003.06.12. So it was like this always, then , and this is not issue because of which baserel stop working ?

At least from the look at dumps, i can't see that in 2.14 it elf files were constructed anyhow different for us.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
Maybe readelf -e doesn't display enough information, try readelf -g -l -t.

Or more likely
Quote:
I build assembler test case (so just "as" and "ld" no "gcc" involved)
The assembler code is wrong, try building some simple, hello world or similar, C code (with GCC 4.0.4 or older!) instead.

Someone wrote an article on https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/The_Hacking_Way:_Part_1_-_First_Steps with
7/0.Work:> readelf -S hello
There are 7 section headers
starting at offset 0x198:

Section Headers:
  [
NrName    Type            Addr     Off    Size   ES Flg Lk Inf Al

0]          NULL        00000000 000000 000000 00      0   0  0

1] .text             PROGBITS        00000054 000054 0000f8 00  AX  0   0  1
output: .text isn't writable there.

Edited by joerg on 2023/8/11 18:11:23
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Joerg
Quote:

The assembler code is wrong, try building some simple, hello world or similar, C code (with GCC 4.0.4 or older!) instead.

Yes, i use pure libc's helloworld:

cat test.s

.globl main
main
:

lis %r3,.msg@ha          #

la %r3,.msg@l(%r3)       # printf("aaaa");

bl printf                #

li %r3,0                 # exit(0);

bl exit                  #

.msg:
string "aaaa"

Quote:

Someone wrote an article on

haha :) that was long ago indeed, but the part of code you quote about .text, happens because i do use special ldscript for:

SECTIONS

{
   . = 
SIZEOF_HEADERS;
text           : { *(.text) }
 }

With this ldscript used, the .text segment is AX. Once i use defaults (so some default ldscript), then, the .text segment is WAX. And does not matter what version of gcc/binutils i use, even on 2.14 it's the same : default ldscript = WAX, my own one = AX.

EDIT: I even tried to build test case with new binutils, but just with my own ldscript : and it's AX !

This is probably mean, that prebuild ldscripts (the default ones LD uses) are guilty of. Right ?

Edited by kas1e on 2023/8/11 18:58:16
Edited by kas1e on 2023/8/11 18:59:28
Edited by kas1e on 2023/8/11 19:01:43
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
Yes, i use pure libc's helloworld:
Bug: .text is missing before .globl main.
For example check the assembler code in your "Assembler programming without libc" in https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/The_Hacking_Way:_Part_1_-_First_Steps
between the .macro CALLOS and .global _start _start:

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg
That when you use _start (so no libc.a), with libc it's not important, but yeah, added for sake of tests and still issue the same: with default ldscripts WAX, with my own - AX.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@All
Can anyone point me out where in adtools/binutils patches, the changes to "strip" were done, so by default it acts like "--strip-unneeded", and not like "-s" ? Just can't find such change in patches, but definitely strip acts like "--strip-unneeded" by default in adtools version.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
I don't know if there are patches, and if yes where, but if you check for example
https://sourceforge.net/p/adtools/code ... s/2.14/binutils/objcopy.c
there are parts like
if (strip_symbols == STRIP_ALL)
      {
          if (
strcmp(name"_start") == || strcmp(name"__amigaos4__") == || strcmp(name"_SDA_BASE_") == 0)

keep 1;
    else

keep 0;
      }

/* Never, ever, strip reloc data on the Amiga! */

if (strip_symbols == STRIP_ALL &&

bfd_get_flavour(obfd) != bfd_target_amiga_flavour)
    {

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Do you know why the __amigaos4__ and __SDA_BASE__ needs to kept?
The __start__ is is clear to be kept, because it defines the entry point of the executable.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MigthyMax
Isn't __SDA_BASE__ the pointer to the small data (.sbss/.sdata)?
If it isn't, it may be the pointer to the baserel data.

Not sure about __amigaos4__, maybe it's just checked to make sure an ELF file is an AmigaOS 4.x executable and not something else.
There is no AmigaOS defined for the OS in ELF executables (EI_OSABI), AmigaOS is using UNIX SysV (0) instead.

Edit: __SDA_BASE__ is the small data pointer, from the amigaos.* linker scripts:
/* We want the small data sections together, so single-instruction offsets
     can access them all, and initialized data all before uninitialized, so
     we can shorten the on-disk segment size.  */

.sdata          :
  {

_SDA_BASE_ = . + 0x8000;
    *(.
sdata .sdata.* .gnu.linkonce.s.*)
  }

_edata = .; PROVIDE (edata = .);

__bss_start = .;
sbss           :
  {
    *(.
dynsbss)
    *(.
sbss .sbss.* .gnu.linkonce.sb.*)
    *(.
scommon)
  }

Edit2: You can close https://github.com/migthymax/binutils-gdb/issues/5
I thought that there would have been (at least) 3 segments (read-only executable, read-only non-executable and writable), but according to Futaura it always were only 2 segments (read-only and writable).

Edited by joerg on 2023/8/13 19:23:14
Edited by joerg on 2023/8/13 19:27:27
Edited by joerg on 2023/8/13 20:12:25
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
joerg wrote:

Edit2: You can close https://github.com/migthymax/binutils-gdb/issues/5
I thought that there would have been (at least) 3 segments (read-only executable, read-only non-executable and writable), but according to Futaura it always were only 2 segments (read-only and writable).

Of course, nobody should take my word for it - however, "readelf -l" on most (if not all) OS components will show this to be the case. Two segments, unless there is no rw data at all, in which case a single read-only executable segment (e.g. "C:Version").

IBrowse, AmiSSL and Warp Datatype Developer
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 21 »