Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
63 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: OS 4.1 native AIM / ICQ / Y! client?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jbni
Quote:

All my IM accounts have a password, of course.

If I want to use AIM, I have to have my password, and I have to give it to AOL; this makes lots of sense, since AOL wants to make sure I'm me, and I don't want anyone to be able to pretend to be me to AOL.

But using Jabber to access AIM means I have to give my AIM password to Big Bob's Jabber to AIM Gateway Service. Big Bob now has my AIM password, and could log in as me to AIM all day long without me knowing it.

Only two entities should have my password: me, and the service I'm logging in to.

OK. I see what you mean now. That is a big disadvantage of using gateways. Some Linux Jabber users run their own Jabber servers and gateways to avoid that kind of account security problem. If you are gong to use Jabber (XMPP) it's probably best to IM in Jabber and skip the gateways.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jbni

If you are such worried by security, of course you only use IM that uses SSL encryption with maximum key lenght (else your IP packets would then be able to be sniffed by any intruder between you and your service). And of course you change your passwords (all of them because of course you are using different passwords for each different service you are using) at least one every two monthes but preferably every month ?
Aren't you ?

Seriously we are speaking about IM services, that's not a big deal. And even at Microsoft's messenger division or AOL's IM department there can be misintentioned guys...

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@abalaban

One can be security conscious without being completely freakin' paranoid.

Some decent reductio ad ridiculim, false dilemna, and a dash of straw man there.

As is, I've found an AIM client that works. A multi-IM client would be nice, but it's not a requirement.

(Of course, now I have to set everything back up once I manage to download the 4.1 update!)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jbni

So in essence you have more confidence in average Joe (sorry Jahc, no offence really, Sabre seems great) coding a closed client than on an open standard and piece of software. That does sound strange to me but the main thing is that you finally found what you were looking for...

Now I'll try to download the OS 4.1 update too

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jbni

Welp, AmigAIM worked in 4.1, but in 4.1 Update 1 I get 'Failed to create MyTI Custom Class'.

Any ideas?

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)