Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
78 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Solved: IUtility->SNPrintf "bug"<=misunderstanding
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
This function call:
char str[50+1];
IUtility->SNPrintf(str,sizeof(str),"%d%d%d%d%d%d",1,2,3,4,5,6);

causes this output:

utility.library 53.1 (16.6.08)

I hope it will be fixed (if it's not already).

Edited by TSK on 2010/12/1 16:55:06
Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Re: IUtility->SNPrintf bug
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

That's not a bug, as you'll find if you read the documentation. SNPrintf() does not behave the same as the printf()" in the C run-time libraries clib or newlib.

AmigaOS always puts 32-bit data on the stack, so "%d" will put a 32-bit uint32 on the stack. In the low-level functions like IExec->#? and IUtility->#?, you have to use the formatting codes "%ld", "%lx%, etc.

So your example should be changed to read:
IUtility->SNPrintf(str,sizeof(str),"%ld%ld%ld%ld%ld%ld",1,2,3,4,5,6);
...then it will give the right values.

For instance, if you want to print a single byte as a hex character, you must use "0x%02lx" to get say "0x41" for an "A".

Note also that SNPrintf returns a character count that INCLUDES the null on the end of the string (unlike the C run-time library printf()).

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tonyw

Thanks ! There's %ld used in the example but not mentioned anywhere that it's mandatory.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

This is mentioned in the documentation for RawDoFmt() which is used by (almost) every Amiga API function needing to format a character stream. So you will meet the same requirements for PrintF() & friends, SNPrintF() & friends, requesters, Reaction classes format strings using varargs...

An exception to this is DebugPrintF() (and possibly the only one).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@centaurz

My bad. Autodocs tells to check also RawDoFmt() but I didn't do it because I remembered from classic era (1990's) that RawDoFmt() was like C string formatting functions. Funny I didn't notice anything using IDOS->Printf(). Warning text of RawDoFmt() tells it's depended on compiler if it uses words or longs by default.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@centaurz

You have to use the same strange formatting with IExec->DebugPrintF() as well. Even more, if you have some int64s that you want to print, you have to pad the int32s out to int64 if you mix them, since int64s are lined up on 8-byte boundaries.

For example, DebugPrintF ("%lld, %ld\n", int64, int32) works OK, but
DebugPrintF (%ld, %lld\n", int32, int64) will give the wrong result for the int64, you have to say DebugPrintF ("%ld, %lld\n", int32, dummy int32, int64).

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

I've never had trouble using e.g. "%d" to output integers with DebugPrintF(), the documentation does not refer to RawDoFmt-style formatting but standard printf one.
Regarding the alignment issue with int64, it may be a limitation of the linear varargs versus standard ABI.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@centaurz

[Just trying it]

Yes, you're right. I don't remember where I got that idea from, but I've always used DebugPrintF that way, so I've been doing it like that for years!

Alignment seems to be a problem only with 64-bit data.

cheers
tony
Go to top

Register To Post