Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Grim Reaper Exception codes
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Can anyone direct me to a page that interprets these codes? OS3.1 has a list of what they mean to give you a general area to start troubleshooting.

Can anyone interpret the following:

What is the difference between a ISI(Instructional Storage Interrupt) and a DSI(Data Storage Interrupt)? Is this pointing to my filesystem corrupt or my SSD failing?

Guru Meditation : 80000003
Task 0x562b37a0 ("timberwolf-bin")
generated an error of type ISI(Instruction Storage Interrupt)
on address 0x7b08b044
Redzone was not damaged
Stackpointer is inside bounds

Task 0x5ce6de00 ("sysmon")
generated an error of type DSI(Data Storage Interrupt)
on address 0x01a991cc4
Redzone was not damaged

Task 0x5b87b610("celestia")
on address 0x01db43c8
Redzone was not damaged

Go to top
Re: Grim Reaper Exception codes
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amiganuts

Quote:
Is this pointing to my filesystem corrupt or my SSD failing?

Probably not, it can indicate your missing system updates, or program not installed correctly.

Quote:

Redzone was not damaged

if you have stack corruption or not.
if Redzone is damaged or stackpointer is outside bounds,
this means you should increase stack.

Quote:
generated an error of type ISI(Instruction Storage Interrupt)

illegal machine code instruction, this typical happens when library was not opened, or when your using the wrong library version.

Quote:

When reading outside of allocated memory or writing to memory that was not allocated you get DSI error. This clearly indicates a bad pointer, if pointer got corrupted, or if memory was not allocated, or if bad calculation of size, lack boundary checking.

AmigaOS4.1 does know who’s memory it is unless its private memory, most memory is allocated as shared memory, and can be swapped out.

As you can understand this is extremely limited information, if your going to report a problem to the developer you need to provide the full debug log, as it can contain a stack trace, cpu register values and disassembly of the crash.

There is lot bad programs, the Grim Repair is telling you about a crashed programs, as user you can no longer interact with the program much. I suggest using Snoopy to check if program failed to open a library or font, or something, you might get lucky, discovering it just a missing file that was not loaded.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Thank you for your response. Here is my issue. It might work 1, 2 or 10 times perfectly and then Grim Reaper. It is nothing that I can repeat but it does seem like Celestia is buggy also Sysmon now is getting finicky.

Or if I play an MPEG on Emotion, it will play fine but then sometimes will just slowdown, stop. I can kill Emotion but then if I try to open anything on Workbench, it just locks up and requires a reboot.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amiganuts

When you have a DSI error, it can affect other programs, best to reboot. Pretty sure tool has reboot button, that should be hint.

Unless you know there is no bugs 100%.. and your where running the same program night and days, for a years without issues, not experience issues before, I wont point to other factors.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amiganuts

If you start program X, and run it, and quit program X, and run program Y, and Y crashes.
But every time you reboot and run program Y first it works, and it never crashes.

Then you can be look at an problem where variables are not initialized, or memory is not cleared,
in C you are suppose to set pointers before use, and initialize the memory before use, if need to.
obviously setting a value to 0, before your going to set it to 20, does not make sense. Or if memory block is going to be overwritten by a picture, this why the C language does not automatically initialize the variables or the memory, it’s faster to not clear the memory first, the fact that memory is not cleared before use, has been known to be exploited in more protected operating systems. To get access data from memory of another user on the same system. There are other exploits in caches as well.

let’s say code like:

if (win) CloseWindow(win);
if win has a unknown value, then CloseWindow will peak around in memory that was not allocated, and program will crash.

Another case where often crashes, if for example your coping text and forget to terminate the destination string. It might work most of the time, but once in while there is not a 0 at end of destination string buffer and it crashes. It was not long a go a bug in Reaction text input classes was discovered to have bug like that.

So make sure to keep your OS up to date.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top

Register To Post