Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

Maijestro, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Older versions of SFS?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Is it possible for you to upload the older versions of SFS? Since there is only 1.270 available on aminet, and according to some people on morphzone, i have to download 1.252 or similair version, to get MorphOS to run on my classic amiga. I have looked around the internet but not been able to find the older version. I would appriciate if you could make them available for download.

//Micro

Go to top
Re: Older versions of SFS?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@micro

Quote:

micro wrote:
Is it possible for you to upload the older versions of SFS? Since there is only 1.270 available on aminet, and according to some people on morphzone, i have to download 1.252 or similair version, to get MorphOS to run on my classic amiga.
I don't know anything about problems with the current version, nobody has reported any bugs/problems until now.
But you shouldn't use 2 incompatible file systems on the same partition anyway, if you want to use the PPC native MorphOS SFS never write to such partitions with an AmigaOS version of SFS, and never write to AmigaOS SFS partitions with the MorphOS SFS. According to the MorphOS SFSCheck readme they made incompatible changes in the MorphOS SFS
If you want to continue to use AmigaOS 3.x as well, and not switch to MorphOS completely, it's probably best to create a FFS boot partition for loading MorphOS from AmigaOS 3.x and special, MorphOS-only SFS partition(s) with MorphOS itself, etc. for using the MorphOS SFS in MorphOS, don't mount any AmigaOS SFS partitions on MorphOS and don't mount MorphOS SFS partitions on AmigaOS, and only use FFS partitions for transferring data between MorphOS and AmigaOS.
Or make sure the PPC native MorphOS SFS is never used but always an AmigaOS m68k version of SFS. On AmigaOS4 you could do that by storing an AmigaOS 3.x m68k SFS binary with a different DOSType, for example 0x53465301 ('SFS\1'), in the RDB and use that DOSType instead of the standard SFS one (0x53465300, 'SFS\0') for all SFS partitions. Unless they do something very strange that should work on MorphOS as well, but of course an emulated m68k version is slower than a PPC native version.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I've checked the changes between 1.252 and the current version, if 1.252 works on MorphOS but 1.270 doesn't there are only 2 possible reasons:
- A bug in the m68k emulator of MorphOS which wasn't triggered by older versions of SFS.
- Major bugs in the MorphOS exec.

Please test if this special version works on MorphOS, if it does the MorphOS exec is broken but I can work around it's bugs, if it doesn't work it's because of bugs in the MorphOS m68k emulator and I can't do anything about it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Neato :) What you think what is bugged in exec?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@porthan

Quote:

porthan wrote:
@joerg

Neato :)
Does it work on MorphOS?

Quote:
What you think what is bugged in exec?
If it works at least one of the exec V45+ functions in broken in the MorphOS exec, in this special version I've changed the (SysBase->LibNode.lib_Version >= 45) tests to (SysBase->LibNode.lib_Version >= 45 && !FindResident("MorphOS")).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

Does it work on MorphOS?

It does.

Quote:

If it works at least one of the exec V45+ functions in broken in the MorphOS exec, in this special version I've changed the (SysBase->LibNode.lib_Version >= 45) tests to (SysBase->LibNode.lib_Version >= 45 && !FindResident("MorphOS")).

I think MorphOS exec functions beyond V40 names are not compatible to V45 exec functions.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

So, if i have understand it right, i?m supposed to use SFS_68k on my boot-partion (idh0: which holds my amigaos_3.9), SFS PPC on my morphos (idh1: which holds my Morphos) and plain SFS_68k on my other partitions?

What if the big difference between sfs aos 3.x and sfs aos 4.0?

Can i use sfs aos 4.0 on my workbench 3.9, i mean sfs_aos_4.0 is for ppc and i have ppc, so can i use it instead for aos_sfs_3.9(68k)?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@micro

Quote:

micro wrote:
@joerg

So, if i have understand it right, i?m supposed to use SFS_68k on my boot-partion (idh0: which holds my amigaos_3.9), SFS PPC on my morphos (idh1: which holds my Morphos) and plain SFS_68k on my other partitions?
Yes. For all partitions you want to use under AmigaOS you have to use the AmigaOS SFS, unless there is an AmigaOS 3.x/m68k version of the MorphOS SFS.

I don't know how much faster the MorphOS PPC native SFS is compared to using the emulated AmigaOS 3.x/m68k SFS on MorphOS, if it's not much faster I wouldn't bother using it at all but only the AmigaOS 3.x/m68k SFS, that way you don't risk destroying AmigaOS SFS partitions by using the incompatible MorphOS SFS on them by accident, or the other way round.

Quote:
What if the big difference between sfs aos 3.x and sfs aos 4.0?
The AmigaOS4 version is much faster (independant of the faster CPU), some operations are more than 10 times faster.

Quote:
Can i use sfs aos 4.0 on my workbench 3.9, i mean sfs_aos_4.0 is for ppc and i have ppc, so can i use it instead for aos_sfs_3.9(68k)?
No, the AmigaOS4 version of course requires AmigaOS4. A PPC version for AmigaOS 3.x using WarpOS might be possible, but I guess it would be slower than the m68k one because of the very slow context switches in WarpOS.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Thanks alot for clearing that out.

/Micro

Go to top

Register To Post