Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
242 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 242

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Guru vs. Grim Reaper
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I know that I should not do that...

Try to start GrimReaper with any argument. It crashes badly.

Resized Image

Lazi

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@lazi

Quote:
lazi wrote:
@Rogue

Quote:
Rogue wrote:

It's not quite that easy. The initial requester is done by the kernel reaper...
Not for normal crashes, even the inital requester is in GrimReaper, only for ramlib crashes there is a requester in reaper.

Quote:
I found that if I rename/remove/replace the GrimReaper file then even the initial requester does not come up.
However if I copy c:reboot to utilities/grimreaper it does not started by a crash.
C:Reboot doesn't work with the arguments passed to GrimReaper, try a script with something like
Reboot FAST
as SYS:System/GrimReaper. Don't forget to set the 'S' protection bit when using a script.

Quote:
Is there a proper way to capture the crash by changing the GrimReaper file and after handled it somehow (eg.: play a sound) then call the original GrimReaper?
Rename GrimReaper, for example to RealGrimReaper, and use a script as SYS:System/GrimReaper:
.key ARGS/F
.bra {
.ket }
soundplayer path:to/crashsound
RealGrimReaper {ARGS}

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Thanks a lot, it helps!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@COBRA

What we really need to get rid off is Alerts in general. They have their usefulness in some exceptional situations, but should really be a lot more multitasking-friendly. As it is now, they completely block anything. I guess we should discuss this on the developer mailing list

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@lazi

I just re-checked, and I was mistaken about the initial requester. This only comes up if the crashed task is a RAMLIB init task.

One common problem under OS 3.x was that the RAMLIB task ran out of stack, especially with things like MCP. Furthermore, any library crashing in their init code could bring down the entire system because it crashed the ramlib process, making it impossible to open a disk-library afterwards.

We changed that so that ramlib now spawns a subprocess that does the actual opening, and if the opening fails, they also end up in the kernel Reaper, but are handled slightly differently (ramlib will be signaled that a child task has crashed, usually resulting in it returning a failure to the program that opened the library). This signaling is not done for "normal" tasks.

In case of a "normal" (non-ramlib) crash, the kernel reaper tries to launch SYS:System/GrimReaper with a command line argument pointing at the crashed task's struct Task. I suppose in your case, reboot will simply complain about invalid number of arguments, but since the process is started with NIL: and the input and output stream, you don't see that.

Easiest way would be to write a small program that just calls "ColdReboot" on IExec, something like

#include <proto/exec.h>

int main()
{

IExec->ColdReboot();

/* Doesn't really get here */

return 0;
}

would do the trick.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
Not for normal crashes, even the inital requester is in GrimReaper, only for ramlib crashes there is a requester in reaper.

Yep, just found out... The code was written 2003, so I'm a bit out of the loop with it

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@lazi

Like I wrote in that other topic, the command line argument to GrimReaper is the adddress of the crashed process, so passing it an 'A' will crash. We could add some magic word to it, but as soon as you knew that, you could crash it just as easily

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)