Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
196 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 196

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Remaking or porting old Amiga PD releases
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi everyone,

I have a question concerning old Amiga PD releases and bringing some of them to AmigaOS 4.x.

Do you know if it is allowed to port such releases, like for example a slideshow or game, to AmigaOS 4 without having been in touch with the author (if one can not get hold of the them etc.)?

If it is a slideshow, one can rip the pictures and music and re-create it as close to the original as possible with Hollywood for example.

I know there are many fun and entertaining productions from back in the days, which would be fun to have running native on AmigaOS 4.

Go to top
Re: Remaking or porting old Amiga PD releases
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmigaOldskooler

So there three things to remember, there is copyrights and there are trademarks, and then there is patents.
Trademarks refers to logos graphics, names.
Copyright refers to the distribution right.
Patents refers to protection of an invention.

EULA Software licensee, and Copyrights does not suppressed the local laws of the countries.

PD is a software licensee, it stands for Public Domain, this is a use as you like license.
https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/public_domain

When comes to recreation that does not use original art, there is no need to give credit to anyone.

When comes to works of art, the laws of the countries can protect work of art, if you start falsify and take credit for someone’s work, you can be in legal trouble. But your only in legal turbel if someone objects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyfraud

Edited by LiveForIt on 2022/2/12 19:13:09
Edited by LiveForIt on 2022/2/12 22:11:02
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmigaOldskooler

“If it is a slideshow, one can rip the pictures and music and re-create it as close to the original as possible with Hollywood for example.”

Out of respect I suggest looking for things that are open source, while you don’t need to do that.

It does not need to be close to the original, it can be loosely inspired by as well. But think it’s important remake it in the same spirit as the original to please the people who download it, if does not sound like it should, don’t look like it should it be a disappointment. To the viewer and not worth doing.

I think also important to respect the creators of the work of art and give credit, where credit is due.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Hi,

Thanks for the information concerning Public Domain.

My thought was to bring some of these old productions to AmigaOS 4.x just as they were like in their original form, complete with credits of the original authors of course. Like people do when porting stuff from Linux.

Quote:
It does not need to be close to the original, it can be loosely inspired by as well. But think it’s important remake it in the same spirit as the original to please the people who download it, if does not sound like it should, don’t look like it should it be a disappointment. To the viewer and not worth doing.

Good points! Thanks! I'm thinking of bringing over some old releases from a group I was member of back in the 90's, as well as some other work I've done, so you gave me a good idea here. I don't need to make them exactly the same, I can enhance them a bit too for AmigaOS 4.x. I think I will start with this instead. This was helpful and got my mind in motion here.

Quote:
I think also important to respect the creators of the work of art and give credit, where credit is due.

Completely agree!

Go to top

Register To Post