Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 154

NinjaCyborg, smf, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Links in SimpleMail not working - how debug/fix? (SOLVED)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
When I click on a http:// type link in SimpleMail, absolutely nothing happens. I've had this problem for some time (probably since I updated to Odyssey but I'm not sure).

I'm not sure if it is a SimpleMail problem, a URLOpen problem, an OpenURL problem, or even an Odyssey problem! Anyone know how to check what SimpleMail is trying to do when I click on a link? Or any other suggestions?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Links in SimpleMail not working - how debug/fix?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
A little progress: Ticking "Enable Debug for this protocol" in Prefs/URL(Open) causes a window to be shown for mailto: links in Odyssey... but NOTHING happens for http: links in SimpleMail. THEREFORE it seems SimpleMail is not calling URLOpen.

So now the question is, should SimpleMail being calling URLOpen, or does it use (the original & cross-platform) OpenURL on AmigaOS4?

Go to top
Re: Links in SimpleMail not working - how debug/fix?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
OK, fixed it! I looked at Prefs/OpenURL (which does not come with OS4), and realised that it was configured for "OWB" not "Odyssey". So I cloned the (MUI-)OWB setting, and changed:

Name: Odyssey
Path: AppDir:Odyssey "%u"
ARexx port: ODYSSEY

(note that case is important for the ARexx port, so it must be ODYSSEY not Odyssey!)

Go to top
Re: Links in SimpleMail not working - how debug/fix? (SOLVED)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

There seems to be an issue with URL system handling. The various URLs/links were handled differently on IRC (AmIRC/WookieChat) and mailers (YAM mainly), with different results each time, depending on the configuration ( open 2nd session browser with all tabs plus the link clicked, ignore link if browser already open, etc).
I compromised by deleting the external handling program and using the system one, plus some script IIRC...

I hope that a 4.2 release will have an homogeneous program URL handling with constant and replicable results on link clicking.

Go to top
Re: Links in SimpleMail not working - how debug/fix? (SOLVED)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cass Quote:
I hope that a 4.2 release will have an homogeneous program URL handling with constant and replicable results on link clicking.

There is nothing wrong with AmigaOS4's URL(Open) system, it just works differently to the old OpenURL & programs need to be adapted to work correctly with it.

Summary: If Odyssey/etc don't behave correctly with URL(Open) then those programs need fixing.

Go to top

Register To Post