Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 128

balaton, MickJT, orgin, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Reboots cold warm lukewarm?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
A cold reboot (switching machine off and on) obviously resets more than a cold one (Ctl_bothAkeys).

On my SAM440ep i also have a reboot button.
I do see at least a difference between the cold reboot and this one, that in the laater my keyboard is stuck till the end of the reboot (i can't interrupt the decounting of seconds to go)

Are there other differences ?
When using a Gui4Cli script that makes Gui4Cli crash, a warm reboot often make Gui4Cli crash when you try to launch it again.

Is such a behaviour explainable (an application that crashed being more touchy when launching it after a warm reboot)?

Go to top
Re: Reboots cold warm lukewarm?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
A cold boot or re-boot is when you turn off the power button or hit the hardware reset switch and the computer boots from 'cold' and loads the kickstart etc.

A warm boot or re-boot is when you use the two Amiga keys and Ctrl keys together.

There are a few utilities available where you can force a cold boot or a warm boot depending on your choice, I am using one that's called Reeboot Now available at OS4Depot.

SAM 460 with 2GB or RAM, 1000GB HD, 4 port SATA, DVDRW drive and Radeon HD 4650 GFX card.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

When using a Gui4Cli script that makes Gui4Cli crash, a warm reboot often make Gui4Cli crash when you try to launch it again.

Is such a behaviour explainable (an application that crashed being more touchy when launching it after a warm reboot)?

If GUI4Cli trashed a lot of memory when it went down, it may have destroyed os structures etc and so not survive after a warm reboot. I would expect the os in general to be unstable in these conditions not just GUI4Cli

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
But JoshDuchIt may also be correct in observing a difference between a cold reboot (with Ctrl/Alt/Alt or reset button) and turning off and on again. If the USB hardware or possibly other peripheral hardware is sufficiently confused, it may still be so after a "cold" reboot, but after physically turning off the power for 20 seconds or more, the hardware should always be starting in a virgin state again.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post