Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Ubuntu
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Over the past few years I have tried the various flavorus of Linux on my A1 and my PC collection. On my A1 I am very impressed with Debian but after trying Ubuntu on my P4 G3Dual I am blown away.

I have also always run Debian on my PCs but hit the same walls as I did on my A1, Ubuntu fixes this. Give it a try, the speed increase over WinXP is unbelievable. It doesn't mean you give up XP for good but if you are smart you can start to live a safer life under Ubuntu and yet still retain the ability to play your favorite Windows games. and easily share your data.

ace

Go to top
Re: Ubuntu
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@acefnq

Got Dapper Drake on an old PC here. Other than trying to connect to the Internet (Which has failed miserably. Hey! This is Linux, after all. I've definitely got something bolluxed there) through a peer to peer network with a dial-up connection, it just works. The lack of an Internet connection makes it well neigh impossible to upgrade software, but other than that, I find it on a par with Mac OSX. It's really good.

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Re: Ubuntu
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@acefnq

Indeed. I use Debian 64 (dual boot with XP) on Edit-Chicks machine.. I just dual boot installed Kubuntu on my daughters cast off machine and was blown away how easy it is.

Beware though .. they are still busting stuff with newest updates...

ie:

I got a D-Link G520+ airlink wireless pci card for this Kubuntu machine. on bootup it notified me of latest updates (still on wired) and went through update.... THEN...

Do you think I could get the damn wireless card to work ?

After two days googling... I finally found a blog stating that very update I did busted the airlink driver.. DO ... (copy & paste) to roll back the driver.

BINGO worked instantly.

In fact.. if it hadn't been for that issue it would've been easier than windows. I had go fetch a driver for that and do a manual install.. Linux just found it on its own (shame it was the busted driver).

Kubuntu version 6.06LTS dapper drake

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top

Register To Post