Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 59

utri007, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

My second partition as an update 2 boot partitition
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi, on my SAM440ep, before installing update 3, i copied my boot partition (update 2) to my second partition. ( I had an update 1 partition there before)
Now both lines in my bootselection page look the same and booting from either one i always get the same main boot partition. While copying, I had some problem messages telling me that the directories SObjs/libz.so.1.2.3 ; .1.2.5 and .1.2 could not be copied, but i suppose this is not the main problem

What do i have more to do ?

Go to top
Re: My second partition as an update 2 boot partitition
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Are you choosing the second partition using the AmigaOS boot menu? (which you can get by IIRC holding down both mouse buttons, or was it the Ctrl button, just before the boot screen appears)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
No, it is the selection screen appearing automatically after a hard reboot (in which i could also select Debian Linux)
I have problems starting with both mouse buttons pressed: this is not recognised (any more) Maybe since update 2, i don't know. After a reboot i often have to pull out and replace the mouse USB connector, before it gets recognised. This is especially the case when some program crashes. (eg AmiFTP which crashes systmatically when closing its window.)

Reason enough i want to be able to start from my second partition from this automatic screen

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@chrisH

I installed update 3 over my boot partition, and now in the boot selection page this one appears as "Amiga OS4.1 update 3" and the other partition appears as before "Amiga OS4.1 update 1" (it really is update 2 though)

I can select the second which boots "completely" but with an error message "USBCtrl works only with USB stack V53.11"
The keyboard works but the mouse pointer moves but stays at the left screen boarder.

I still cannot use both mouse buttons to get the early boot menu.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
I still cannot use both mouse buttons to get the early boot menu.

I was able to get the early boot memu by pressing both mouse butons on my µA1 because the mouse was connected to the PS2 input. I don't think the mouse buttons ever worked like that on my SAM since it only has USB mouse input. I always use the "Help" (Scroll Lock on my keyboard) key on the keyboard to get to the early boot menu. Try pressing the Help key instead of holding down both mouse buttons. I assume that you realize that you can't really switch between 2 versions of the OS from the Amiga Early boot menu. The Kickstart files from the first cold boot remain in memory when you use the early boot menu. If you boot with Update3 partition and reboot with an Update2 partition using the early boot menu, you will be using Update2 system files with an Update3 kickstart. I tried that when I first installed Update3 and Update2 seems to work with Update3 kickstart. However, I just did it to see if it would boot that way and changed my alternate partition to Update3 after I was sure it worked.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic, thanks for a very helpfull replu
- i was able to use the "scroll' key of my keyboard to start the early startup menu
- i copied my update 3 files to my second boot partition as you did, and was able to boot from there using the early boot menu (after some trouble with libbz2.so ( a softlink that was copied as a directoy, using Filer)

I can confirm however that some time ago i was able to use the 2 mouse buttons to get the early boot menu on my SAM440ep

I tried to use the boot selection page that shows up with my SAM : i now have two identical lines "Amiga OS4.1 update3"
Both seem tot boot however from my first partition.

To feel safer i would like to be able to boot also from both partitions from this page(as i was able too earlier) I think it must be an U-boot thing, but was not yet able to find out how.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@JosDushit
Quote:
I tried to use the boot selection page that shows up with my SAM : i now have two identical lines "Amiga OS4.1 update3"
Both seem tot boot however from my first partition.

I'm not sure what you mean by "boot selection page" but you can change the label that UBoot uses for the Kickstart loading progress bar. If you look at Kicklayout in the Kickstart directory you will see a "LABEL" line. I made a boot CD and noticed a lot of hard-disk activity when I tested it. I changed the Kickstart/Kicklayout LABEL to confirm that my system was actually booting from the CD. I just changed the LABEL from "Update 3" to "Update 9" and when I reset the system, the label above the UBOOT progress bar confirmed that it was loading Kickstart files from the CD.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "boot selection page" but you can change the label that UBoot uses for the Kickstart loading progress bar.

It is the page where you see the kickstart loading bar.

I changed the LABEL in my second partition and now it appears as changed on this is page as the second line after "Amiga OS4 Update 3" (first boor partition)
Selecting this line to boot from, the progress bar is activated. However when i open a shell i get the following results:

New Shell process 8
8.Amiga OS 4:> sys:
8.Amiga OS 4:> c:
8.Amiga OS 4:C>

So i wonder if the boot is really done from my second partition.
Do you observe something different?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

JosDuchIt wrote:
@xenic
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "boot selection page" but you can change the label that UBoot uses for the Kickstart loading progress bar.

It is the page where you see the kickstart loading bar.

I changed the LABEL in my second partition and now it appears as changed on this is page as the second line after "Amiga OS4 Update 3" (first boor partition)
Selecting this line to boot from, the progress bar is activated. However when i open a shell i get the following results:

New Shell process 8
8.Amiga OS 4:> sys:
8.Amiga OS 4:> c:
8.Amiga OS 4:C>

So i wonder if the boot is really done from my second partition.
Do you observe something different?

any resolution on this issue ?

mancave-ramblings

Go to top

Register To Post